Assault Assault Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault

Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #21
Pandæmonium
Caution: Panda will bite

I have to say, what's so important about UT that it requires you to spec and stay in the game possibly taking away an active player's slot? If your just eating dinner, you need to exit out of the game. Nothing pisses me off more than waiting twenty minutes to get in, only to see ten idle players. It takes two seconds to rejoin once your done
Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
ARsEnAl51
WOOTAN MUTHAFUCKA WOOTAN!!

Rules updated.

Quote:
Jesus had so much lag it took him 3 days to respawn.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #23
elvismonkey
Just Registered

I haven't been on the server as much lately, but, from what I have played, it is clear that this decision was a good one.

Enforcement has been very even handed and has (for the most part) solved the issue of teamstacking.

The only downside is that it prevents unstacking (something I would do on occasion), but overall I say its a great decision
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #24
Monochrome

I don't know about other admins, but I've pretty much come to take a relatively agressive stance
to switching. It's seemd to work, it's been a lot better lately. I've even come in under different
names to make sure people are behaving when they think that there's no admins around. I've
kicked quite a few people without warning for observe/switch. FFS I want to play, not dick around
with trying to sort the teams by hand. I've only had to ban one person so far. I think the word's
gotten around that there's zero tolerance for switching on the AS server.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #25
G-Force
Insider

Usually if I see someone switch they go back when I ask.. If they dont, I spec them an make them vomit there weapons everytime until they spawn :smt079 . They usually change back pretty quick :smt098

sig by Necro
Send a message via ICQ to G-Force Send a message via MSN to G-Force Send a message via Yahoo to G-Force G-Force is offline  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
Sgt.Muffin
For Your Health!

You know I just thought of some good things they should add to UAdminMod for Admins to have fun with the team switchers.

1) invert control buttons
2) force a console command via their name (things like setname TEAMSWITCHER, say HEY GUYS, I AM A TEAM SWITCHER, BECAUSE I'M A LOSER, or quit if you had too much of them )
3) Force an image upon their screen that won't go away until they switch (make it like 50% opaque so they can kinda see but not really.
4) Blast a sound through their speakers TEEHEE
Old 09-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #27
Mongoose
Community Veteran

Shit, someone tried to switch last night and the AS server just crashed.. Is that a deterrent? :smt081
Old 09-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #28
Stormblade
HARBINGER

If that happened before midnight EST, no, it wasn't from teamswitching. Q was working on something.

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #29
-=MasterMeers=-
The Australian Sensation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
If that happened before midnight EST, no, it wasn't from teamswitching. Q was working on something.
Q, was working on something eh?.....it was all Q's fault :smt081, nah j/k, GOOD ONE Q! :baaa: :smt081

Nodrak: Yep, it is definately pizza time
Meers: Well go and order it
Nodrak: I am picking up the phone now, how fast do you want me to move?
Meers: Faster Biatch
Send a message via MSN to -=MasterMeers=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=MasterMeers=- -=MasterMeers=- is offline  
Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #30
AnnaBeaver
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
HEHEHE...I wonder if what actually happened was that Q saw them switch and said..." OH HELL NO YOU DIDN'T JUST TEAM SWITCH, YOU BIATCH!!"..... :smt081 I don't know why...but I could just see it...no offense Q,,,,ya know I loves ya! and I think you're a hoot! And when you do get mad enough and Crack that whip :smt079 I just sorta get this look on my face :smt103 Then I get this look :smt081 Then this these :supz: rayer: LOL

Anyhoo...back to seriousness :smt093

Quote:
Originally Posted by hows_my_sniping
i agree team switching is a abd thing but with that specator switching what about if the person was having dinner and obviously couldn't play whilst eating it and then rejoined but on the winning team? would you tell them to switch? just kick them and be done with it or what?
Are you saying the player was spectating? or are you saying that the person was actually on the server but not playing? If it was the latter...then they shouldn't have been on the server at all. A server is for playing....not for dinning :smt120
Besides...if you're eating...then you should take your butt out of spec and off the server and free that space up for someone who is more interested in the game...rather than dinner. Sorry..I'm not trying to be bitchy...that's just my opinion. But what I notice is that someone will drop out of game and spec...only because they are waiting for an opening to appear on the winning team.

Team Switching is just lame. If you suck...and you're on a sucky team...you should stay on it....it's an opportunity for you to learn how to become a more skilled player. Especially when you have to try and take up the slack for your not so elite team. And honestly...what's the big deal...so you're on a poopy team.....no one is gonna be giving you a trophy for always being on the winning team!! Nor are they giving you one for being on the losing team. Your stats aren't gonna be "f'ed" up because your team sux...they're only getting "f'ed" up if you suck, and if you suck....learning to be a better player will help you more than team switching to the winning team will :yawinkle:

If you're an experienced or upper level "elite :smt120 " player...then why don't you try and help to direct your losing team and take on a leadership role...and by that I mean...be helpful..give tips, tricks, hints, suggestions..not be bossy and telling everyone what to do :smt120 . I know alot of the "eliteist" players tend to be a bit snooty and think the gaming world revolves around them(not all...but there are quite a few)....but really...what is so wrong about helping a less experienced player? The next time they are on your team...you may have taught them how to be a better player...and then maybe they could....YES...that's right......be an asset to your team :shock:

And some of you probably don't know this....but you get stat points taken away from you when you teamswitch :smt081 Plus...any points that you earned while on the other team are just wiped away....pooof! You only receive stat point awards for the team you're on at the end of the match. So if you switch back and forth all match long...you get no stats other than the pts you earned with the team you hold at the match end.

All it is is a case of "POOR LOSERS AND SPORTSMANSHIP" No matter what......there is always gonna be a "winner" and a "loser". If anything in any of all these posts are gonna prevent you from team switching....just remember this.......Just as much can be learned from losing...as can be learned from winning And how do I know that?? Because, for the vast majority of the time...my team loses...and that's ok. I don't care if my team sux...if they suck...they suck....there's no shame in sucking...because I know for a fact that I suck...hehehe. (ask anyone..they'll tell ya :smt081) As long as they suck while they're trying....then it's all good!

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #31
Evillusion
Getting there...

Are these team switchers members of this site? I just joined the other day, and before I joined I would just join in a game. I'm sure there's a lot of assholes who do not care about admins or who's sitting on the other side of computers. I think I now know from reading this post why I found myself on the opposing team involuntarily. Once I asked "who switched me," and someone said "you did". No the hell I didn't! I was doing well on my team too. Am I wrong to assume that someone used "teams" and I got switched because of that? I originally chocked it up to a team balance issue. This just answered some questions I had for some time now.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #32
ARsEnAl51
WOOTAN MUTHAFUCKA WOOTAN!!

Actully, most teamswitchers are not registered here and most of those who are already stopped. Also, "teams" is a the command which "manually" makes UAdminMod switch somebody. UAdminMod also checks the number of players in each team from time to time, and if it find them unbalanced, it'll simply trigger the "teams" command itself.

Quote:
Jesus had so much lag it took him 3 days to respawn.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #33
snffcnt
incurerigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeaver
:smt081 :smt079 :smt103 :smt081 :supz: rayer: :smt093 :smt120 :yawinkle: :smt120 :smt120 "eliteist" players tend to be a bit snooty :shock: :smt081 :smt081 it's all good!
apparently, I've been missing all the fun lately.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #34
Herr General
There really was a cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evillusion
Once I asked "who switched me," and someone said "you did".

I didn't switch you!

Yes, I'm still alive. Stop bothering me.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #35
AnnaBeaver
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snffcnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeaver
:smt081 :smt079 :smt103 :smt081 :supz: rayer: :smt093 :smt120 :yawinkle: :smt120 :smt120 "eliteist" players tend to be a bit snooty :shock: :smt081 :smt081 it's all good!
apparently, I've been missing all the fun lately.
Yes, You have :smt081

Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 AM   #36
E6v6i6L
Getting there...

So That's Where All The Ix Went. I Was Wondering?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #37
TuxedoHawk
Just Registered

Team switching is definitely a problem. The worst instances seem to come up at points where teams just happen to be stacked, and the map favors the defenders too much.

If an assault map favors the attackers, this generally means that a lesser team can squeak by and complete an objective (unless the teams are really bad). But defender-favored maps where the dominating team is defending first round are a whole different story. This situation turns into 20 minutes of boredom where the dominated team futilely tries to complete the first objective until time runs out. This is not anywhere near enjoyable for the dominated team. Nobody likes to be whipped for 20 minutes. So I see people trying to switch to attempt to make the next 20 minutes something resembling fun.

What I'd propose is this: a concede vote. Only allow it when say, 25% or more of the clock has been run out (to avoid idiots trying to give up right away), and only give the option and votes to the attacking team. If a certain large percent of the team concedes, the round ends immediately in favor of the defenders.

I think something like this would cut a chunk of the team switching out. Other than that, there will always be people who switch because they think they can get away with it, but I think in that case a match-long ban is more than reasonable.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #38
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoHawk
What I'd propose is this: a concede vote. Only allow it when say, 25% or more of the clock has been run out (to avoid idiots trying to give up right away), and only give the option and votes to the attacking team. If a certain large percent of the team concedes, the round ends immediately in favor of the defenders.

I think something like this would cut a chunk of the team switching out. Other than that, there will always be people who switch because they think they can get away with it, but I think in that case a match-long ban is more than reasonable.
If my team cant get it together I personally spec the match and grab a sandwich. I dont think a concession vote really would do a lot for fixing teamswitching, but would lower the pwnage factor for some games. I think there needs to be a server-side daemon that catches when players switch teams manually and dumps them for the round, but that would take time and brains... and more effort than coders want to take on ut2k4 when the new version is 'just around the corner' (*crosses fingers*)

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #39
Azp2k32
Getting there...

Only thing that bugs me is that seemingly, most of the time when someone switches, if there's an admin on hand they are only warned (and switched back if possible), and not kicked/banned. If banning/kicking for it were done more consistently, the rules might be taken a bit more seriously...
Old 12-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #40
G-Force
Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azp2k32
Only thing that bugs me is that seemingly, most of the time when someone switches, if there's an admin on hand they are only warned (and switched back if possible), and not kicked/banned. If banning/kicking for it were done more consistently, the rules might be taken a bit more seriously...
:smt079 I usually session kick

sig by Necro
Send a message via ICQ to G-Force Send a message via MSN to G-Force Send a message via Yahoo to G-Force G-Force is offline  

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault