Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #41
ARsEnAl51
WOOTAN MUTHAFUCKA WOOTAN!!

Bump.

ONS server going down for maintenance today or tomorrow. No precise schedule. Maximum downtime, 2 hours. Planned downtime, less than 30 minutes.

Quote:
Jesus had so much lag it took him 3 days to respawn.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #42
Québécois
Guinnless isn't good 4 u

Question Increased lag in time

I reply in this topic because some before me noticed changes with anti-tcc and ONSplus etc..

Lets say Tyrant map is on with 32 players.
In the first 20-30 of play, lag is okay nothing to worry about.
After some time, the lag increase and packet loss occurs.

1- Question is do you experience this kind of lag.. or is it just my computer that can't afford too much 3D action?

2- Also, it takes me now at least 3-4 minutes between when i enter a map and when it's playable (too much loading). Before the server changed it took me only 30 sec to show up and be able to play. Could new anti-TCC be responsible? **also problems exiting vehicles - takes sometimes 1-2 sec before exiting**

Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #43
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

Sounds like you just started playing on my older Mac - that happens to me all the time.

3-4 minutes load time may be an exaggeration - about 2 minutes load time and that really annoying 10-15 second staggering lag post-spawn start before I'm actually active - usually 2-3 nodes are already built by them time I can actually move.

Lag on maps really depends on how 'dense' the fighting gets. Large, spread out maps can keep personal lag down to a minimum because most skirmishes are kept apart through both video and audio inputs. Alien Hop islands is a good example of a map I have never had bad lag on.

Tyrant has several 'closed' spaces - like the center room becomes one laggy battle, even though really it's three different skirmishes by each node - same thing at the core - there's really three areas of battle (2 primaries and core) all visible and within earshot at any time.

I personally cannot stand playing Blockfort because my older computer cannot handle all the incidental animation happening clear across the map in the background. I kinda wonder how the performance would improve on those two maps if they were completely shrouded in a San-Francisco Bay type fog bank.

The action naturally condenses at the end of each game or when the core is vulnerable, making the amount of 'action' for the computers to chew on harder to deal with.

Lag is inevitable.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
Bastard
Omni Annoyance

Suck it up.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #45
ARsEnAl51

Dunno about your computer... maybe a fresh install / disk defrag could help. Check stat net and stat fps also.

AntiTCC checks certainly don't last 3-4 minutes. Edit: unless mabye you have a very old comp... As for issues when exiting vehicles, if you're stuck or really close to walls, they could be caused by ONSPlus looking for exit points. Not quite sure about that, but it's the only thing that I could think of that is related to vehicles.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #46
Rider
Hater of Badgers!!!

Its not just you Q, I get the same things too. And I have a "high end" setup but when it gets nasty (300+ channels)in the middle of Tyrant, the fps drop from 80 to teens. I also have to stay out of vehicles because many of the actions(fire, jump, Bail) are delayed by sometimes, a full second and a half.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #47
Québécois
Guinnless isn't good 4 u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Its not just you Q, I get the same things too.
Well, nice to know! Lets just hope that lightning will end up in a cranium at 10 fps
Old 08-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #48
ARsEnAl51

If it fps related, there's pretty much nothing we can do... get a better comp!

Quote:
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #49
Bastard
Omni Annoyance

Haha.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #50
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Its not just you Q, I get the same things too. And I have a "high end" setup but when it gets nasty (300+ channels)in the middle of Tyrant, the fps drop from 80 to teens....
I have the same issue with Tyrant, but thought most of it was due to my "mid range" computer. So, knowing that it seems to affect all of us, I took a quick peek at the map in the editor. I noticed that there are no anti-portals embedded in the walls that surround the center node. If I were to add them, this should help reduce the amount of "overdraw" that is occuring when action gets heavy. I also wonder if removing the energy turrets at the center node would help. I don't think they get used too much anyways.

Carpe, do you have an opinion on me trying this?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #51
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Adding ap's at the center certainly makes sense and I am quite frankly, surprised they are not there considering Big_Al re-worked this map. *shrug*

I'm a bit reticent to remove the energy turrets as they are the only native defense at that node. How about seeing if the ap's clears it up ?

Incidentally, although it has been a long while since I've played Tyrant, I do not recall ever having lag/fps issue anywhere on that map. Short of connection issues, all the maps on the server play just fine for me.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #52
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

I really don't think lag on Tyrant is bad compared to MasterBath and some others. Mostly Tyrant goes to hell when everyone crowds in the final core hallway skirmish - reminds me of a school during a tornado drill. Asses and elbows everywhere.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #53
Bastard
Omni Annoyance

Ha its because every one is in the same room, i played master bath v7 to day with six people on each team, not one bit of lag!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #54
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

Twelve players AIN'T Thirty Two.

A Tyrant question/suggestion: The sniper ridge up at the top - when one team gets 2-3 excellent snipers spamming up there, it is really hard to make progress down below. Can that ridge be shortened enough that the energy turrets could actually shoot at the heads of anyone dumb enough to stand up? There's still places to hide behind the elbows of those statues anyway.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #55
ARsEnAl51

Guys, lets not turn this into a map discussion topic would ya?

I forgot to do something yesterday... server will have to go down again sometime this week. Should only be a matter of minutes.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #56
ARsEnAl51

Maintenance done. Next one planned next week most likely on Monday.

Expect some slightly degraded match startup performance, but also less server crashes. Chances are you'll notice the first more easily then the latter, heh, but whatever. Expecting (in this thread) feedback about the lag, not about the crashes.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #57
ARsEnAl51

Maintenance done. Next one planned next week most likely on Monday.

Expect some slightly degraded match startup performance, but also less server crashes. Chances are you'll notice the first more easily then the latter, heh, but whatever. Expecting (in this thread) feedback about the lag, not about the crashes.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #58
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARsEnAl51 View Post
. Expecting (in this thread) feedback about the lag, not about the crashes.
Just played Masterbath V7, 7:30 central time. Lag was reeeealy bad. Many players commented about it.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #59
ARsEnAl51

By lag, I meant lag that might be occuring at match startup (like first 5 minutes after you joined).

Quote:
Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #60
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

I assume it's because I have a Mac - my startups are ALWAYS a 'stagger' start on new maps. I hear ambient sounds from the match for 10 seconds before it actually pops up on my screen - I click to spawn in - I run a couple steps - then everything locks up for 10-15 seconds (assume it's doing a Cheat check), and then the game continues as normal. It's always been like that.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught