Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno'68 View Post

Or, do we need to do a fund drive for more bandwidth?
Right now the server is being paid for out of pocket by 4 individuals. So, if the community wants something more, yes... they need to buck up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
IPreferQuake3
ONS Lover - UT DM Hater

Default How much would make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Right now the server is being paid for out of pocket by 4 individuals. So, if the community wants something more, yes... they need to buck up.
Numbers?
I'm willing to pay, while I have times where I even vanish for months, I come later back to the game and play it every evening, on weekends maybe for 5 hours.
There are other servers, but this is by far the most professionally managed, with the biggest part of grown up members, or people who behave that way.
Problem is: right now I'm short with money. But in 2-3 months I should get a job (have to do some other unpaid stuff right now), no problem to send 10$ or so per month. But I have no clue if this helps anyway or is just a drop in the bucket. But why not try, maybe there are others who are willing to pay.
Remember: WoW players pay 13-15 per month.

PS: For a game that is (IMO) as boring and stupid as hell (no arguing please - that's just my personal taste).
I mean it's so slow, you can play it with a ping of 800ms(!) as a believable, reasonable long time player assured me constantly. Jesus! Thaaat's sloooooow. I hate that, I mean, I am older and slower - but still not "seemingly dead".
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #23
ThePerfectCore
Takin' a Ride off a cliff

I am also curious, how much does it cost to run the ONS server each month?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #24
ARsEnAl51
WOOTAN MUTHAFUCKA WOOTAN!!

Our 32p servers made us what we are today. 32p 'til we die.

The ping returned without ONSPlus is inaccurate. And to be honest, I don't know if the ping returned with ONSPlus is accurate either.

I only take care of 'software' related things, so don't take my word for it :
- possible server DoS'ing apart, whether it's the server or the bandwidth holding us back, there's no way to know.
- I'm not quite sure which package we have, but it should be around $50 a month...
- ... and it could go up to about $400 a month (no packages in between if I remember correctly). That said, that particular package, not mentioning it's price, would require from us way more time to set and keep up than we have on our hands.

One last thing, for those of you who are considering giving some money: don't give if you can't afford it. Might seem obvious, but you never know.

Quote:
Jesus had so much lag it took him 3 days to respawn.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

[quote=ARsEnAl51;167483]Our 32p servers made us what we are today. 32p 'til we die.[\quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARsEnAl51 View Post
The ping returned without ONSPlus is inaccurate. And to be honest, I don't know if the ping returned with ONSPlus is accurate either.
yes, I'd agree. Measuring ping to the server should be done with a tool designed for that... I use WinMtr but there are many out there.

Quote:
That said, that particular package, not mentioning it's price, would require from us way more time to set and keep up than we have on our hands.

One last thing, for those of you who are considering giving some money: don't give if you can't afford it. Might seem obvious, but you never know.
Wise words. For information, we pay $50 a month for a 32p server. A dedicated server from GameServers is indeed $400 a month... that is un-doable. If we start doing donations, that means work... I know the braintrust involved keeping the server going right now has no more time on their hands, so it really isn't a plausible thing to move forward on, especially considering we're merely extending the life of a grand old lady.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
vitrify
I'll turn you into glass!

Gameservers dedicated servers are overpriced, I'll post a link when I get home, but its somewhere on webhostingtalk.com that has the $400 server from gameservers for about $200, and there's many servers in between that would be plenty more than Omni needs if we only want to use it to host ONS. I would most likely be able to pay atleast of the cost if we do end up doing this.

I'm home:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Last edited by vitrify; 02-13-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #27
ThePerfectCore
Takin' a Ride off a cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrify View Post
Gameservers dedicated servers are overpriced, I'll post a link when I get home, but its somewhere on webhostingtalk.com that has the $400 server from gameservers for about $200, and there's many servers in between that would be plenty more than Omni needs if we only want to use it to host ONS. I would most likely be able to pay atleast of the cost if we do end up doing this.

I'm home:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
I'm guessing you meant at least "half" of the cost, but are you willing to pay $100 per month, every month, for a few years, just so you can get a 40ms ping vs 90ms?

What we've got now is good enough, I don't think changing servers/hosters is a viable solution. I'm surprised that we get what we get on only $50 per month, the server runs very well for such a small budget.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
rzl_dzl
Just Registered

I noticed recently that some players have great ping (90-100ms), but im at a steady 150-160ms. It never used to be this way. And im not talking about when the server is full, i mean consistent from beginning to end. It started happening about a week ago. Im not sure what's causing this as I know nothing about what you guys have added or removed recently, but i just felt like letting you guys know. It sucks and i really dont wanna have to keep playing on DW. Omni is my home.
Send a message via AIM to rzl_dzl Send a message via Yahoo to rzl_dzl rzl_dzl is offline  
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #29
vitrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectCore View Post
I'm guessing you meant at least "half" of the cost, but are you willing to pay $100 per month, every month, for a few years, just so you can get a 40ms ping vs 90ms?

What we've got now is good enough, I don't think changing servers/hosters is a viable solution. I'm surprised that we get what we get on only $50 per month, the server runs very well for such a small budget.
You assumed right, kind of. I was originally going to write that, but I changed it(or thought I changed it to 'atleast a bit') after realizing that 'half' would be 100 a month. Also, just a bit more I can say about this now that I'm home instead of at school; The lag's only occured since the past few weeks, I'm wondering why this is considering there have been no major changed other than AntiTCC and ONSPlus. ONSPlus has been removed, lag remained, and Arsenal so far refuses to try the old AntiTCC. I guess it could also be an issue with Gameservers being DDoS'd as the rumor says.

Also, whoever's managing hosting the server right now:
I have this server

Dual Opteron 246 (2.0GHZ), 4GB RAM, 120GB HD, 3,000GB Bandwidth, Windows server 2003 32-bit R2 SP2
For 29.95 a month, although it should only have been that price for the first two months, and then gone back to 99.95.

So long as the cost stays at 29.95, I'd be willing to pay for it. If the cost goes back up to 99.95, I'd be willing to pay up to 50 a month. If these specs are good enough for the server, just send me a PM and I'll give the login details for the remote desktop connection(and instructions if you need).
Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 AM   #30
ARsEnAl51

ONSPlus has been re-added yesterday, and it's probably not the cause of the lag. Also yesterday, I've set AntiTCC's config so that it's as close to 119b26's config as possible. Heh, those of you who were complaining about the longer loading/waiting time should already have noticed that it has been at least greatly reduced if it's actually still there.

I'm gonna say it again, in-game pings are not accurate. I know I'm gonna sound like I'm anal 'bout it, but for those of you who'd be mistaken, ping is ping, and lag is lag. The ping is the time it takes to send data from one computer to another and back. Lag is caused by fluctuations of the ping. In other words, if you have a seemingly good average ping of 80ms but it bunnyhops around a rather wide range (like 40-120ms), you'll be experiencing lag. Now, if you have a constant shitty ping of 600ms, there's absolutely no lag, you just have to live with one hell of a shitty ping. So I gotta say it makes me smile when somebody complains 'lag!' when I'm not feeling it at all. For more than 4 years now, I've been playing on the )o( servers with a rather steady 200ms (in-game; real ping is around 160ms for me) ping... yet I still achieve decent scores in team-based gametypes. Meditate on that.

One last thing: I may switch back to 119b26 at some point next week, but 2009r4 will stay on at least for the weekend.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #31
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
One last thing: I may switch back to 119b26 at some point next week, but 2009r4 will stay on at least for the weekend.
Thanks for all the work/headaches in dealing with these bitchy mutators and their configs ARs.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #32
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Thanks to all who try to make this server the best available for us to play on.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #33
IPreferQuake3
ONS Lover - UT DM Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
Thanks to all who try to make this server the best available for us to play on.
Yes. While I not always agree I'm thankful that people constantly take care.
Big thanks.

Don't take that as usual!
Some servers seam to be "more dead" than others. It's an old game...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #34
vitrify

Seems to be better now. No more massive ping spikes, just the ocasional crash.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
ARsEnAl51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrify View Post
Seems to be better now. No more massive ping spikes, just the ocasional crash.
I didn't touch anything since last Friday... so maybe it's not AntiTCC causing them. As for the crashes, it's probably the GC as usual... there's nothing we can really do about it.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #36
ARsEnAl51

New version (Edit: of AntiTCC) running.

Yes, it's another test version. I'm not expecting/asking for professional feedback, but I don't want excessive baw'ing about it.

Quote:

Last edited by ARsEnAl51; 03-06-2009 at 08:07 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #37
patrick
Just Registered

Dont touch the avril, Its perfect the way it is now. Im so glad that it's finaly locking targets the way it was ment to be. I like the idea alot of spawning with weapons. I would type why but i got to get ready for school
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
ARsEnAl51

The AVRiL is fixed by ONSPlus, not AntiTCC. As for spawning with weapons, I took it out because it was pulling our server off the standard list.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #39
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I would type why but i got to get ready for school
you amuse me Doc... you did type "why" In fact you wasted time typing the "i got to get ready for school" bit.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #40
ARsEnAl51

New version is causing a few fps related isues (what so many people so sadly call lag). We'll switch to a previous version soon.

Quote:

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught