Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 09-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Default New Static Mesh

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any insight on creating new meshes. I have a few that are ready, but when I export them the materials don't import into UED.

I have Milkshape, Blender, 3DS Max. Any combination of these tools exported to UED have the same result. In fact, not only the materials are missing, but only one material is in the mesh once it gets into UED, making it impossible to fix. The new stuff has all the materials setup in them and look fine until exported.

I am at a loss, any help is appreciated.

Andrew
Old 09-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Binger

I've only done this in a very basic way but iirc you have to apply all the materials in the Unreal editor after you import the mesh. You just need the UV mapping done.

Edit: Like I did with that street sign you made the textures for.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I've only done this in a very basic way but iirc you have to apply all the materials in the Unreal editor after you import the mesh. You just need the UV mapping done.

Edit: Like I did with that street sign you made the textures for.
Cool, I will check it out.

A
Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #4
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Cool, I will check it out.

A
I don't know about anything other than Blender but this is what I used.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/as...-vmc/downloads

I believe I got that to work with the version of Blender that was current when I did that street sign but I might have had to use an older version.

I think you will need to import your textures separately into a new package then use them in the menu for the materials in the mesh browser. You can use more than one material for different surfaces on a single mesh. I don't know much about materials but I think that you cannot actually import any materials into the editor and that you have to import all the textures then recreate the material in the form of a shader or something, which I imagine is much more limiting than with today's modeling apps.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14984

btw, you sent me a mesh with the street sign textures. How did you do that one?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Binger,

Tried ASE and LWO, sadly both do not import right. I am doing something wrong in Blender, mainly because I don't use it much and when I do its very basic stuff. I will read through the forum link you posted, thank you.

The sign I sent you only had one material to change. It already existed and was just added to get it to work... or I got lucky and I don't recall what I did. But I think it is the prior.

Thank you.

Andrew
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Binger,

Tried ASE and LWO, sadly both do not import right. I am doing something wrong in Blender, mainly because I don't use it much and when I do its very basic stuff. I will read through the forum link you posted, thank you.

The sign I sent you only had one material to change. It already existed and was just added to get it to work... or I got lucky and I don't recall what I did. But I think it is the prior.

Thank you.

Andrew
What happens on import?

Have you tried with the basic Blender cube?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
What happens on import?

Have you tried with the basic Blender cube?
The model imports into UT with warning and no materials come over.

I will try to bring over the cube to see what happens.

Andrew
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
Binger

You won't see any texture on the mesh after importing. It will be the default bubble looking stuff. If you have the model and it's properly UV mapped then import your material separately and use them on the mesh.

I'm home today so I just tried and I got a basic wall panel to export form Blender and import to UED with no problems. I can send you that file or the street sign file or you can send me the file you working on. I can also take screenies of export settings and stuff like that if you want.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Binger

I set up a test for you if you're interested. I just did it twice and it worked with no errors.

Here is the Blend file for the Main Street sign. Don't worry about not having the two image textures. It shouldn't matter. Those files have been moved on my computer from where Blender is looking but it still works fine for export. Let me know if it's a problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfywjq7yrl...ain.blend?dl=0

And the texture package.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6b9dbsa9c...tures.utx?dl=0

I'm using Blender 2.72. I'm using ASE251.py for the plugin. That older one doesn't work for me on 2.72.

These are my export settings for the street sign. I'm not sure all of this is needed but it is working for the test. Just make sure you uncheck the Triangulate option since it has already been done. I forget the correct scale but it doesn't matter for a test.

You should get this after importing into UEd.

Then find your texture and select it then use it in the material slot.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Weird... the trouble is I can only change one material, instead of the many that make up this part?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner