Other Games All Other Servers

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games

Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

UT2k4 Freon Damage

Just a quick Freon-noobie question for those in the know:

Occasionally I suffer recurring damage (like being on fire --> e.g. -5 points every 2 seconds) for no apparent reason. It's not for camping (hell, I'm constantly on the move just trying to find my way around!), but it has gone so far as killing me. One of the other players said something about penalties for damaging teammates. Since I'm an ONS clown, I don't consider my teammates when I pull the trigger, so that certainly could be what's going on.

Any ideas, and any suggestions on how to avoid it?

Thanks much.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

our server (as well as a lot of the other popular ones) use both friendly fire, and reverse friendly fire.

so if you shoot a teammate, it will hurt him, and you. (rates are adjustable)

the most common reason i know of for having it set like this is to discourage "random spam".

both FF and RFF are not turned on on the ONS server, so you might be new to it.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
G-REX
Random Word Generator

When you are losing 5 health like that it is because the regulation time on that round has ended and overtime takes away 5 health every few seconds so the round doesn't drag on forever.

Reverse friendly fire is also on the Freon server. As N1ghtmare said when you shoot a teammate it hurts you. The level of it depends on how powerful an attack you hit them with. Like if you hit a teammate with a charged goo shot it will take you out almost every time.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
its not 1337, its 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrojan View Post
Just a quick Freon-noobie question for those in the know:

Occasionally I suffer recurring damage (like being on fire --> e.g. -5 points every 2 seconds) for no apparent reason. It's not for camping (hell, I'm constantly on the move just trying to find my way around!), but it has gone so far as killing me. One of the other players said something about penalties for damaging teammates. Since I'm an ONS clown, I don't consider my teammates when I pull the trigger, so that certainly could be what's going on.

Any ideas, and any suggestions on how to avoid it?

Thanks much.
Its not for spam, that I know...I think I have earned the prestigious can of spam award every time I've played. Although maybe it is. I dunno, I usually shoot myself with a rocket.

it could be at the end of the match when the timer counts down and then everyone starts taking damage.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337 View Post
it could be at the end of the match when the timer counts down and then everyone starts taking damage.
You (and G-REX) may be right, but when it killed me, the round continued for a long while after that, so I'm thinking that's not it.

*IF* damage is periodic for friendly fire, then that is likely it. I'll keep a closer eye on what I've just done when it happens next. And, yeah, I said "when" not "if". If I was accurate enough not to hit my teammates, I'd know how to use the LG properly...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Reverse friendly fire only damages you when shooting the other person, it is not an ongoing penalty once you stop. If you were being damaged 5 health every couple of seconds, that was the overtime penalty. If someone else was alive on your team the round will continue until they're dead too (or the other team first), and this can be prolonged by using the Boost adrenaline combo.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

you FOO ! It was because I was fillin' your big ass with lead (as usual) !!

Mr Trojan (ribbed ?)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Mr Trojan (ribbed ?)
Studded. For her pleasure.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Recurring damage happens when you shoot a teammate and during overtime. During overtime, you'll lose health every second or so. Friendly fire is reflected, so if one of your teammates jumps in front of your gun as you release, say, a three pack of rockets, you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

On the bright side, you can use the reverse friendly fire to see some of the messages they never expected you to see, such as shooting yourself with the Shock rifle, minigun, and headshotting yourself

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

I've gotten those without RFF because of packet loss
Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
G-REX
Random Word Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Quentin Pollard View Post
I've gotten those without RFF because of packet loss
HAX! Ban the HAXXOR!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_P-Fat View Post
Recurring damage happens when you shoot a teammate ...
Thank you Opti. I sorta figured as much. As I said, I'm a little loosey goosey with the old damage-radius weapons. My poor team. If they were picked teams, I'd pick me last!

Now if I can just figure out why my LG hits are never fatal, yet I get hit mid-dodge-jump with full health and am toast. Head shots? The hitscanners can peg my head hitbox mid-cartwheel? Keeeeerap. I am SO not made for that level of skill!!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

I think a lot of LG is luck in where the ancillary arcs end up, if one of those hits your head it may register the entire damage as a headshot.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
-Goose-
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrojan
yet I get hit mid-dodge-jump
FWIW, after getting owned over and over again by combos and the LG in dodge jumps, I finally admitted defeat and gave them up (regular dodge works ok though). It was hard for me to do since that was pretty much my main mode of travel in ONS - YMMV.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
Q
Bawls?

Walking or dodging or crawling doesn't really matter. I'm just comfy regardless.

Hitscanners don't shoot you based on where you are, it's all about those compensations to figure out where you will be when the trigger is pulled. It simply takes about one or two (at best) of your dodge/wall jumps for me to know exactly how I can fry you with my LG before, during or after your next move.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by QettoE View Post
Walking or dodging or crawling doesn't really matter. I'm just comfy regardless.

Hitscanners don't shoot you based on where you are, it's all about those compensations to figure out where you will be when the trigger is pulled. It simply takes about one or two (at best) of your dodge/wall jumps for me to know exactly how I can fry you with my LG before, during or after your next move.
I'm like TrueTrojan.. trying to use the LG more but it is frustrating. I hit other players, but they carry on usually. Seems if I get hit ONCE I die ? Frustrating... and it is hard to "stick with it" and keep using it when you're frozen all the time.

I guess I'm a function of the Knights skit from TheHolyGrail... "it's only a flesh wound" seems to be the result when I actually hit someone with the LG.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #17
Q
Bawls?

Practice makes perfect. Took me about two or three months of straight loss to get it down, but once you're there there'd be nothing more satisfying than picking off the chodes with your LG
Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
Kyllian
bFireStyle == SS_Random

Location: In my secret lab. Overclocking nuclear hamster mines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Quentin Pollard View Post
I think a lot of LG is luck in where the ancillary arcs end up, if one of those hits your head it may register the entire damage as a headshot.
Nah, while the arcs do use the headshot multiplier, they only do like 30 damage(hs = 60)

BeBop: The devil, I mean Kel made me do it all.
Pandemonium: YOU ... ARE ... GOD
Benders of Cargo and Sniper, Oh fack!
Send a message via AIM to Kyllian Send a message via MSN to Kyllian Kyllian is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #19
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

A couple things - most headshots are luck, period. Especially on servers that support "non standard" player skins, when someone with a client that doesn't have the skin joins, or when they are using forced skins. Your headbox is not in the exact same place as they are seeing if you are using a different skin than they are looking at.

The second is the reason many hitscanners prefer the LG. The lg has 3 arcs that come off where it hits that will potentially hit things nearby. It's why people seem to have a lot more luck with the LG than they do with the regular sniper rifle - they aren't actually hitting with the beam, that are connecting with the arcs, but the game makes no difference.

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_P-Fat View Post
The lg has 3 arcs that come off where it hits that will potentially hit things nearby. It's why people seem to have a lot more luck with the LG than they do with the regular sniper rifle - they aren't actually hitting with the beam, that are connecting with the arcs, but the game makes no difference.
ahh.. so it's most likely these arcs that are creating my hitsounds. Great.. i thought I was actually hitting pepes, now I find out it's more like "you're in the general area".. great.. just freeeeekin' great

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games