Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
View Poll Results: Should be auto balance between rounds or on map change only
Balance after each round 8 38.10%
Balance after each map only 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #21
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Ah shit, I voted wrong, change my vote to map change only balancing.

Back when we first got the balancer and it was doing mid game, end of each round balancing, it was so discouraging to get switched to the opposing team. You build up this "fake" loyalty to your teammates that you struggled with. And especially if your team is ahead, and you get switched to the losing team, I just wanna rage quit on the spot.

But I also know how discouraging it is to be on the team with the short bus. Don't know what the right solution would be, maybe 1 game matches? That would kinda suck.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Would be nice to keep the maps on CEONSS out of that topic. And not to blame any map anyway.
To clear up any confusion, my comments were complimentary, the maps on CEONSS are very well done, please don't take that any other way.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
Enyo
Getting there...

Lagzilla, I will give you that... CEONSS balancer does seem to do a better job, but you need to include that they only do a 1 pt match and the balancer does a mulligan of the map if the match is too quick. That would indicate a lopsided first match that's being wiped away with teams reshuffled. That's very different to me than having inter-round balancing with 3 pt matches.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #24
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Lagzilla, I will give you that... CEONSS balancer does seem to do a better job, but you need to include that they only do a 1 pt match and the balancer does a mulligan of the map if the match is too quick. That would indicate a lopsided first match that's being wiped away with teams reshuffled. That's very different to me than having inter-round balancing with 3 pt matches.
My suggestion is to MULLIGAN (which is not a choice in this survey) and consider reducing the number of points considered a win.

What could be more fun than playing an MTMU variant for 30-40 minutes basically stalemated at the primaries the whole time? This single thing just kills it for me. And it happens a ton. But hey, 50% of people in game are having a blast at least.

Anyone else notice the number of players is WAY down? I know this is a complex multifaceted issue, but I do wonder how much this imbalance plays into it. Hell, even I am playing less and also other games now, and I have more hours in game than most if not damn near all on the server. But business as usual, amiright?

A
Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #25
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Anyone else notice the number of players is WAY down? I know this is a complex multifaceted issue, but I do wonder how much this imbalance plays into it. Hell, even I am playing less and also other games now, and I have more hours in game than most if not damn near all on the server. But business as usual, amiright?

A
Myself I am playing less on the server. There are 4 people I simply loathe and I am very bored of playing the same 7 maps during prime time (when everyone is online). The rounds are too long. Would love to see a 2 pt game.

But mostly its the few people I take issue with and the same maps being played and the spamming, vehicle sabotage, spawn kill'n that turned me away.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #26
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
Myself I am playing less on the server. There are 4 people I simply loathe and I am very bored of playing the same 7 maps during prime time (when everyone is online). The rounds are too long. Would love to see a 2 pt game.

But mostly its the few people I take issue with and the same maps being played and the spamming, vehicle sabotage, spawn kill'n that turned me away.
You nailed it on the head here. In my case, the number one reason I don't play much anymore is people like Xexx that just want to ruin the fun. SolidState is getting like that also.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
Xexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
You nailed it on the head here. In my case, the number one reason I don't play much anymore is people like Xexx that just want to ruin the fun. SolidState is getting like that also.

I just don't take complaints seriously anymore, there's absolutely no point to it. Between those whining about miniguns, hit and runs, lagzilla bitching about getting teleport killed when I node transported from half a map away the bitching is fucking endless.

People are cunts to to shadow especially and others when they are actually the main ones actually communicating and ignoring the bullshit.

If you want to get all pissy because you got flanked and shot in the back, or you have no nodes and you think you should get to man a comeback in peace from a safe space then that's a personal problem.

The point of the game is to win, and if node interference and flanking help produce those results, you should expect that to happen. We've all been there and some bitching is to be expected but there's no point in putting any special consideration into it because it's going to happen no matter what you do.

The game isn't fun when you're losing? Tell me something relevant or campaign to make vehicles less spammy and rounds less tedious.

Last edited by Xexx; 02-21-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #28
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
I just don't take complaints seriously anymore, there's absolutely no point to it. Between those whining about miniguns, hit and runs, lagzilla bitching about getting teleport killed when I node transported from half a map away the bitching is fucking endless.

People are cunts to to shadow especially and others when they are actually the main ones actually communicating and ignoring the bullshit.

If you want to get all pissy because you got flanked and shot in the back, or you have no nodes and you think you should get to man a comeback in peace from a safe space then that's a personal problem.

The point of the game is to win, and if node interference and flanking help produce those results, you should expect that to happen. We've all been there and some bitching is to be expected but there's no point in putting any special consideration into it because it's going to happen no matter what you do.

The game isn't fun when your losing? Tell me something relevant or campaign to make vehicles less spammy and rounds less tedious.
This is all a bunch of bullshit which is not worthy of a counter-argument from me and has nothing to do with why I think you're an asshole. But you know this. You're trying to justify your actions to yourself and not me. Fuck off!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #29
Xexx

Quote:
This is all a bunch of bullshit which is not worthy of a counter-argument from me and has nothing to do with why I think you're an asshole. But you know this. You're trying to justify your actions to yourself and not me. Fuck off!
I don't need to justify anything, if killing you makes you rage then I take it as doing well for the team.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #30
Binger

That's two posts in a row where you implied I said something that I didn't. If you think I'm too stupid to see through that then think again. Keep it up and I will pick apart everything you say to expose it for the shit it is. I have the time to do that.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #31
Xexx

Quote:
That's two posts in a row where you implied I said something that I didn't. If you think I'm too stupid to see through that then think again. Keep it up and I will pick apart everything you say to expose it for the shit it is. I have the time to do that.

Have a good night.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #32
Enyo
Getting there...

COD4

Quote:
Buwaaaaahhhaaaaahahahahahahahahah

Ever consider people are cunts to him because, well, he's a cunt? Yeah, shadow communicates so well that everyone knows he's "taking the meeno to the breedge" before he ever says it.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #33
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Here is the deal. I get killed at a locked node by you. One that is no where near available, nor has an significant vehicles at it. This is common practice for you. Why don't you think I would say some shit to you? I had not even realized you were on my team, and just expected you to be where you did not belong killing players. You constantly spawn kill. You constantly hang out at locked nodes. You constantly drop bombs on the core, even though there is nowhere near enough reason to be there. You play like a bitch in game. Frankly, I am tired of it. The admins won't do anything about it, so I will call you out on your bullshit in game. People will continue to play less and less until you are at Omni spawn killing bots. I hope thats fun.

Try to be less of an asshole, and maybe people won't bitch at you as much.

A
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #34
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
My suggestion is to MULLIGAN (which is not a choice in this survey) and consider reducing the number of points considered a win.

What could be more fun than playing an MTMU variant for 30-40 minutes basically stalemated at the primaries the whole time? This single thing just kills it for me. And it happens a ton. But hey, 50% of people in game are having a blast at least.

A
When we first implemented the balancer, we had the mulligan/restart option enabled. Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think a lot of people (myself included) got frustrated playing several rounds of fast and furious since it always ended too fast.

I would vote for anything that shortens overall map length, but any change that is too dramatic causes a lot complaining. Just my opinion, but a lot of maps just last too long. When I only have a couple of hours to play at night, I don't want to spend it playing Dria for one half and a junkyard for the other half. Hell, I can't even think of any map, even my favorites, that I would want to play for an hour straight.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #35
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
When we first implemented the balancer, we had the mulligan/restart option enabled. Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think a lot of people (myself included) got frustrated playing several rounds of fast and furious since it always ended too fast.
That was so messed up. We were stuck in a loop. I didn't realize what was happening at first. I think others were confused also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
I would vote for anything that shortens overall map length, but any change that is too dramatic causes a lot complaining. Just my opinion, but a lot of maps just last too long. When I only have a couple of hours to play at night, I don't want to spend it playing Dria for one half and a junkyard for the other half. Hell, I can't even think of any map, even my favorites, that I would want to play for an hour straight.
I started a thread for this. Ideas got batted around and the longest Dria matches went from a brutal 1:18 to about :58 iirc. I'm not sure where it's at now but it's still too long for me. This has all been discussed quite a bit though. I doubt it will change much more. There are a few people that want those really long matches or don't want to give up the regular scoring system or want at least two rounds (me on the last one).
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
Xexx

Quote:
Here is the deal. I get killed at a locked node by you. One that is no where near available, nor has an significant vehicles at it. This is common practice for you. Why don't you think I would say some shit to you? I had not even realized you were on my team, and just expected you to be where you did not belong killing players. You constantly spawn kill. You constantly hang out at locked nodes. You constantly drop bombs on the core, even though there is nowhere near enough reason to be there. You play like a bitch in game. Frankly, I am tired of it. The admins won't do anything about it, so I will call you out on your bullshit in game. People will continue to play less and less until you are at Omni spawn killing bots. I hope thats fun.

Try to be less of an asshole, and maybe people won't bitch at you as much.

A
Dude you're so quick to whine you didn't even realize I was on your team. You're cussing me from a telefrag and have very little idea what's going on. That's why I ignore your crap.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:05 AM   #37
hardspike
Server Admin

IMHO if you want to understand one reason (not the only reason, but likely a big one) why the numbers are down, all you have to do is read this thread.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #38
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Yep.

I'll say this, people keep voting the same maps (can't believe its come to that!) that as a big Minus and tank map fan....it ends up being Minus-Something, DJY, AJY, Dria, bedtime three or more hours later. What sucks is that you can spend 30+ minutes trying to retake a primary for a foothold which can be very frustrating. A good team in Minus for example, can use the Mino/Ion/Centaur and pretty much suppress 1/2 from 8/9 all day long. Same JY. However, its the nature of the game, a dumb team, tactically deficient, poor teamwork = rage quitting and doing something else. How does a balancer fix that? Been on teams with high scoring mino whores and we lose badly because of poor teamwork and strategy.

I don't know how you stop that.

With respect to Xexx, IMO there's something to be said for some of his "usual" tactics. For example, on minus, taking the HH to kill early node builders at 8/9 is pretty damn good strategy. Deny them 8. your team builds 9, your mino keeps 8 down...as GTKU would say "That's what winning looks like", or as Enyo has said "Its a race for nodes". Its kinda douchy, but its a successful tactic. Its also been stated on here, that killing super vehicles, even in their spawning points, is fair game. In one of the Minus maps, the dragon (a real PITA hovering on the building over 8/9) spawns on the roof--killing it before its in use is by the defacto rules here valid -- no one bitches about killing the Missle Tank in DJY at its spawn point.

It's really when it crosses the line for tactical, to "its just fun to PPC spam out of sight repeatedly". Again, douchy, but successful.

Its a dynamic game, if there's a "mino in the dognuts spot", you go kill it or else you likely lose, even better is deny the enemy their super vehicles ASAP. Some maps fix this by making some areas more spam proof, using Sentinel Turrets to keep enemy team out.

I will say this I was playing on a server the other day, and got mid round balanced, and it kind of sucked, since I joined, managed to make good progress and then had to "undo" my work.

Is there any way in a lopsided match, especially on larger map to hasten the demise, kind of like a mercy rule? I don't think there is.

I think part of what we see is that we've played the same maps that us hardcore players know the good spots to setup and deny or advance. Put a good combination of players on the same team (points aside which we know is imperfect) and blowouts are bound to happen....maybe the losing team should just all vote for a new map...kind of like a mulligan..what's the voting % at? 50% or more?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #39
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Dude you're so quick to whine you didn't even realize I was on your team. You're cussing me from a telefrag and have very little idea what's going on. That's why I ignore your crap.
I was quick to call you out for spawn killing. Again. Before realizing you were on my team and it was an accident. Because you do it. A lot. When it's not needed and it's just to be douchey. So stick whining in your ass.

Also, I am not sure how I will go on knowing you ignore me. That is truly heartbreaking. I am glad you said it here to let me know, since in game you have been muted for over 2 years. It's a real shame too, I miss your charm for sure.

A
Old 02-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #40
Mailbox
Just Registered

This thread's becoming a whole lot of Xexx vs. Lag/Binger/Enyo, and while I complain about Xexx's tactics, there's no need to muck up this particular thread with this stuff. This slapfight should go to its own thread, methinks.

Back on the topic, on top of testing out different balancer settings, I wouldn't mind moving from a Bo5 to a Bo3 system with a first round mulligan if the PPH is unbalanced. I'm also interested in seeing the mid-round vote threshold lowered as p00ty suggested, as mid-round votes almost never pass. I concur with dimshade here that spending an hour of TAL or the Minus maps can get pretty straining. If it's not fun, then why have it? I think we should shake things up a little, and see how things go.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught