Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Default Ultra-widescreen hack for UT2004???

Some guys like Enyo are bragging about using 3840x1080 or 3840x1440 super-widescreen resolutions with the help of a mod/hack program. I asked if it would increase the FOV beyond the maximum allowed value of 110 (which I am currently using on my 1920x1200 CRT monitor). The answer seemed to be yes.

So, I found a bit of info on this from WSGF:
Quote:
To set your resolution for EF / Surround edit ut2004.ini in your 'gamedir'\system folder
Look for lines:
FullscreenViewportX=5760
FullscreenViewportY=1080
and edit them to fit your desired resolution.
To adjust your hud for tripple wide resolutions edit
ScaleHUDX=0.330000
0.0 is default value
0.33 works best for tripple wide setups.
And finaly to adjust your fov... Bringdown the console by pressing '~' and type in 'enablecheats'. Change your fov by entering 'fov xxx' where xxx stands for desired value.
fov=90 is default for 4:3 setups.
100 - 16:10
105 - 16:9
150 - 13:3
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/unreal-tournament-2004

Would this get me banned from any other servers like CEONSS, etc.., if I did this, or used FoxWSFix? Isn't it something that AntiTCC is trying to block? Some people are getting outright banned from VAC games for doing stuff like this (example, https://steamcommunity.com/discussio...8386/?l=german)

UT2004 is a strange game in that the sides of the peripheral vision show considerably greater distances than the center of the vision. I can't imagine using 220 degrees FOV with 3840x1080, and then seeing perhaps twice as far on the sides of the screen.

Could somebody take a short video and show what it's like, exactly?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Someone actually asked about this on CEONSS recently (was that you by any chance?). The FOV on CEONSS is fixed, and yes, there is a setting for it in AntiTCC as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

BoFox, you don't need to feel inferior just because you're playing on a 17 year old CRT, you seem to do OK with it

Just to be clear, I'm not using any kind of "hack" other than modifying the ut2004.ini file's FullscreenViewportX/Y to allow my screen's resolution, and then changed the user.ini DefaultFOV to 110. I had tried higher values like 115 which works playing locally, but most servers apparently max it at 110. And I never even heard of FoxWSFix until now.

Besides, going above 115 or so makes it very disorienting and unplayable with a severe fish-eye effect.

I bought my MASSIVE monitor because it helps with my work to have more horizontal continuous space for art programs' workspaces and palettes.... or maybe I'm compensating for something? You tell me, you're the psychology major.

Bonus that it helps see things a little better in game play though.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

BTW, the conversation in game was between me and Azazel and he has a ultra wide screen too. He had sent Flounder a PM asking how to adjust his FOV settings so everything looked better and not so stretched. I'm unaware of him trying to use any hack to get around the server FOV 110 limit, but I miss a lot of in game texts when I'm focused on playing. Did he say he found a way to go beyond 110?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

CRTs are actually superior to LCDs in a variety of factors, namely latency. A latency of ~1 microsecond from signal to display is pretty typical. Had someone not thrown out my trinitron, I'd be using it.

Anyway, the way to change fov is
Code:
fov x
in console.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
CRTs are actually superior to LCDs in a variety of factors, namely latency. A latency of ~1 microsecond from signal to display is pretty typical. Had someone not thrown out my trinitron, I'd be using it.
A WHOLE MICROSECOND!?!?!? OMG, what was I thinking ever getting rid of my old CRT?

Superiority is relative to the intended use of the monitor. Like I said I got mine for work, not gaming, and although CRTs have more color depth, the difference is about damn imperceptible with a high end LCD. Not to mention the smaller profile (imagine the size desk you'd need to fit a 37" CRT), lighter weight and lower energy consumption... and less strain on the eyes. I used to get frequent headaches working on a CRT all day, never with an LCD.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Oh yeah, and I don't know if you could consider a CRT superior that randomly flickers off like BoFox said his does.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #8
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

My Sony GDMFW900, best of the best CRT ever made by magnitudes (the only widescreen, flatscreen CRT out there) was the last of its breed. It's like driving a classic car. Sure, it might have some problems, like the car not wanting to start on some days. It has a mind of its own - some days, it's fine no problem. I have 3 PC's in this room - on 3 desks adjacent to the fireplace and a 100" projector screen at my back mainly used for HTPC stuff, and this is the classic PC that I use for classic games, lol.

Soon, I might buy a 144+Hz gsync or freesync monitor, so that I can enjoy vsync disabled without the annoying, disorienting TEARING on my monitor (or else suffer the additional 16ms-32ms display lag with vsync). I already have a 28" 4K gsync monitor, but that's my wife's PC and i havent installed UT2004 on it. It's only 60Hz, though... My CRT is doing an acceptable 85Hz at 2000x1280 (actual proportion, a bit taller than 16:10) - and I can do 2560x1600 at 68-69Hz (still ok for some games). I only get headaches if using the desktop at less than 85Hz - the flicker is much more annoying with static images than with 3d games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
Someone actually asked about this on CEONSS recently (was that you by any chance?). The FOV on CEONSS is fixed, and yes, there is a setting for it in AntiTCC as well.
Yeah, now I could see that AntiTCC sets at 100 degrees instead of max allowed 110 degrees! It's actually the correct FOV for 16:10 from 2 feet away, so it does look nicer and more up-close but i lose some FOV. 106-110 FOV is perfect for 16:9, like 1080p. There are lots of new curved monitors on the market - one that's 49" wide would probably look acceptable with 220 degrees FOV, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC49H.../dp/B072C7TNC5

This is the way the future is going anyways. I can't wait for something better to use than the damned mouse that cramps my large hands. My logitech G502 makes my palm cramp up since it's so narrow (my favorite mouse, logitech G9x, gave out, and it's worth like $300 on ebay/amazon now, geez).. I dream of using a VR headset using head tracking to look where you want, and "3D, 6DOF move" controllers (like the Playstation sharpshooter that both my wife and I love for playing House of the Dead Overkill, perhaps the most fun game we ever played together) to have a far more natural and intuitive aim. Here's a video of the sharpshooter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNrlAFjq88

Last edited by BoFox; 03-01-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

https://shop.x-raypad.com/product/mi...-gaming-mouse/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-MX...-/183523725403

Some large, ergonomic mice
Old 03-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
dognuts
Just Registered

Quote:

Anyway, the way to change fov is
Code:
fov x
in console.
I also had a Trinitron and it was awesome. It weighed more than my mother-in-law and radiated enough heat to fry an egg but it was awesome
Old 03-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Haha, I had the original Microsoft Intellimouse (probably the first optical mouse ever, from 1999) and used it for UT99. It was awful laggy, but kind of comfortable.

It's great that the classics are coming back, with updated sensors.. cool!! Thanks man!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament