Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Default Panalesh, Grit, and Redplanet

I'm going to do quick edits to these maps to replace the old Dragons. Is there anything else that needs to be fixed/added/replaced while I'm working on them?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I had been toying with Panalesh... workingon modify the nodes a bit, fix the flier spawns in the core, fix player spawns in the core (who loves the hallway!!)

I wanted to eliminate one of the side nodes on each side (between the mino and the middle) and potentially tweak or remove the center node...

Andrew
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Would be nice to cut about 4 miles of each side of the map too... but I guess it would not be panalesh anymore...
Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
VadersFisting
Getting there...

The caves almost always get the most attention, I'd say getting rid of 2 and 10 would be a start. Do you think this map would play well with a more Magic-ish link setup? Granted Magic doesn't have a center node but how often does the Kraken get taken outside the dry lake bed let alone the cave it's in? Not sure if I'd want the center removed or not. Both sides already have deemer tanks just like Magic so I kinda see the center node as more of a distraction node. eh that's just my 2 cents.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Terminator
Getting there...

On Redplanet, could you fix those jump pads to no where? Maybe place an Ion Painter?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
-Goose-
Getting there...

Weapon lockers on Red Planet are a joke.

DD on Panalesh at core is a joke (it wears off by the time you make it to the middle).
Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I had been toying with Panalesh... workingon modify the nodes a bit, fix the flier spawns in the core, fix player spawns in the core (who loves the hallway!!)

I wanted to eliminate one of the side nodes on each side (between the mino and the middle) and potentially tweak or remove the center node...

Andrew
I think the added step before you get to the primary is a good thing. Without 2 and 10 it would be too easy to take the primary and have a Mino ready to spawn kill the core.

Rock on...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
I think the added step before you get to the primary is a good thing. Without 2 and 10 it would be too easy to take the primary and have a Mino ready to spawn kill the core.
WooHoo! Show me how you get a mino to the core on panalesh.? Woo!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
VadersFisting
Getting there...

Eh true roger and the others would have easier access to having a field day at the enemy core (outer area) spawn raping the vehicles and players.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Turbo K
Community Veteran

So far besides updating the Dragons and Firetanks:

Redplanet: Update the weapon lockers and replace the super weapons around the map.
Panalesh: I'm not removing any nodes. I might replace the Hammerhead with something more useful. The DD's could have their time extended or be moved to a more useful location.
Grit: The Badger problem hasn't been fixed yet. It's kind of a big issue on this map.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
So far besides updating the Dragons and Firetanks:

Panalesh: I'm not removing any nodes. I might replace the Hammerhead with something more useful. The DD's could have their time extended or be moved to a more useful location.

Any other ideas?
The current node layout makes it very deadlockey.... hence me wanting to mess with them. And frankly the primary or secondary on the mino side is pointless, though to the mino point the primary is the one that should go... and the junk moved to the secondary. To each their own however, and that is why we all have access to the map editor

Andrew
Old 01-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
The current node layout makes it very deadlockey.... hence me wanting to mess with them. And frankly the primary or secondary on the mino side is pointless, though to the mino point the primary is the one that should go... and the junk moved to the secondary. To each their own however, and that is why we all have access to the map editor

Andrew
You're more than welcome to do the Panalesh edit. If you'll put the new dragon in it, I'll hold off and let you do all the work.

In my opinion, the thing that made games such a deadlock is the extreme distance between nodes and the fact that the power cores are very hard to attack.
Plus, some of the vehicles are very hard to hit (and by "some", I mean the Wyverns), which makes the game comprised mostly of battles around the nodes and node defense, instead of people building the nodes and pushing forward.
Another thing that contributes is that popular vehicles on the map(the Falcons, Wasp, and Wyverns), aren't very good at killing each other, which makes for long dogfights around the center nodes, with people too fearful to get out of their super-flyers and build something.

The Wyverns should probably be made to disappear. To quote Goose, they have "broken" movement physics and don't belong in the game.
Replacing them with Short-Circuits, Pulse-Traitors, or Mantises(twin-beam Scorp) might be an improvement.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #13
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
You're more than welcome to do the Panalesh edit. If you'll put the new dragon in it, I'll hold off and let you do all the work.

In my opinion, the thing that made games such a deadlock is the extreme distance between nodes and the fact that the power cores are very hard to attack.
Plus, some of the vehicles are very hard to hit (and by "some", I mean the Wyverns), which makes the game comprised mostly of battles around the nodes and node defense, instead of people building the nodes and pushing forward.
Another thing that contributes is that popular vehicles on the map(the Falcons, Wasp, and Wyverns), aren't very good at killing each other, which makes for long dogfights around the center nodes, with people too fearful to get out of their super-flyers and build something.
Very good point, not sure I would have connected the vehicle difficulty with the deadlock... It may be due to the fact I rarely use those vehicles.

There is an extreme distance to the nodes for sure, it is a huge map! Maybe 4 miles on each end is not enough to cut

Andrew
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
VadersFisting
Getting there...

Glad the wyvern's were mentioned, I always felt there were way too many of them. Personally I just see them as hoverboards due to their speed. Useful for zipping across this large map quickly to attack or help build a node. I hate combat in them and dislike the laser cannons. Perhaps a couple hoverboards could be brought in along with the other replacement possibilities Turbo mentioned?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadersFisting View Post
Glad the wyvern's were mentioned, I always felt there were way too many of them. Personally I just see them as hoverboards due to their speed. Useful for zipping across this large map quickly to attack or help build a node. I hate combat in them and dislike the laser cannons. Perhaps a couple hoverboards could be brought in along with the other replacement possibilities Turbo mentioned?

Hoverboards would be a great idea for Panalesh.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
Hoverboards would be a great idea for Panalesh.
And a railgun tank.

*hides*
Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
And a railgun tank.

*hides*
Flounder placed a kick vote against Dimshade.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #18
Binger

Redplanet:

If you are talking about starting with the most recent of the edits then one core has a Badger that the other is missing. This could be part of the balancing since this map is asymmetrical but I've always thought the cores on this map could use a couple of more seats. It's not like you can really walk to the nodes in an acceptable amount of time.

Grit:

If you are talking about the daytime version that we play then I would love to see the Wasp removed, of course, but it's not as big of a factor on this map as it is on others.

I think waiting for a possible Badger fix is a good idea.

Panalesh:

Fine the way it is but a change would be interesting. I like the Wyvern. This is one of those maps that doesn't work well with a mix of fast and slow movers (like Magic) because the nodes are so spread out that the slow movers are rarely part of the front line action.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Cortak
Throw the Cheese!

I think anything would be more useful than Hammerheads on Panalesh tbh.

Changing the health of the middle nodes might be a good idea, they're a pain to get them up to full.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
WooHoo! Show me how you get a mino to the core on panalesh.? Woo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VadersFisting View Post
Eh true roger and the others would have easier access to having a field day at the enemy core (outer area) spawn raping the vehicles and players.
This.

Rock on...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner