Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default ONS-Shyron-Badwolf-V1b

Now on the server (and redirect), something different to try.

Get it (and associated files) here so you don't have to wait to play.

http://www.filefront.com/16076753/ON...dWolf-V1b.zip/

BW will chime in shortly expounding the virtues of this map.

I'll start by questioning the core loadout, by my reckoning 10players... bit skimpy on a 32p server.
Oh, and you can get a Raptor stuck on the top of the core tower, ceiling should be raised (or lowered) a bit.

Thanks for the work BW, appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

I wonder from which version he derived this. I created three Betas of the original with 732 being the most current one, including some bugfixes and details adjustments.

I always loved the original for it's requirement to communicate with your team in order to win. Hope this one keeps that character.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
I always loved the original for it's requirement to communicate with your team in order to win. Hope this one keeps that character.
I agree, back when I was very active in ONS (playing) I loved this map. We'll see how the helicopters are received,
I shudder a tiny bit inside when I think of UT moving towards Battlefield/GearsOfWar/CoD type vehicles/play. Guess that
isn't really valid (for the most part), but still... love the original vehicles and the first generation upgrades. After that,
it just seems there are too many different types with different functions to effectively balance a map. Almost like mashing
together 35 different kinds of foods to create a meal. (not a comment directed specifically at this iteration BW, don't
get your panties in a knot )

As far as originals and requirement to communicate... I always thought that of the original AcerBus.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Bad.Wolf1
Map Modder

Shyron is a map I always thought was nice looking and different but I have to say I never really 'got' the layout.
I always seemed to go the wrong direction and it seemed a lot bigger than it really is.
Then I started playing around with it and removed the fog so I could see it all at once.
When I did see it without the fog it reminded me, in a way, of the first modded map I did for Omni - Bridge of Fate - except it was outdoors not in a cavern.
I really liked the layout once I could see it in it's entirely.
Back in February I asked Hunter Wiebush, the maps author, for his permission to mod two of his maps and he was kind enough to allow it (the other map being Maelstrom).
I have tried to show respect to his original work and not change it too much, just moved a few things, added newer vehicles and items, etc.
For the record, this is a modded version of Mr. Wiebushs original work, so all credit and respect to him for his hard work creating this map (and others) in the first place.

I count seats for 12 at the core, plus 2 standing on the Manta wings if players are co-operating and giving rides.
Plus the primary nodes aren't that far from the base, with additional rides, so I figured that was enough.
These days it's getting more and more rare to see the server running a full 32 players too.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Is there some reference for the rune system? I've had several different ones but no really able to confirm their actual effects. Is there a way to drop them without dying?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

How did you contact Hunter? I tried to reach him at his Titan account, IIRC, but never got an answer.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
foibos
Getting there...

Nice, except the heavy inflation of new vehicles. Chopper, tank-like Scorpion, insane fast NodeRunner (for this medium map?), etc. Shyron-TMU. What about adequacy? And why changing functional, optimized map instead of some untouched?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Relentless
Never stop, Never give up

i like this map, the look and layout is very welcoming to me, the chopper is awesome, anti-personnel chain gun, and you can shoot the tail off and make it spin out of control, again, the runes make battle different which i like, and the map is well set up, my compliments to badwolf!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Played again last night and when I went to ut2004stats to verify some evidence against an idler, I found this:

http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/mat...match=49490929

Not sure if the map did this or if ut2004stats just took a dump in the middle. Interestingly, it seems to have captured the time and team score, but nothing else.

Map played really well, imo. Server wasn't full (~26 players including idlers), but I didn't see any lag, which I expected due to the relative size. I thought the node layout worked well also; we had both cores available simultaneously several times, including right at the end with both cores getting pounded.

I will also say that the dragon can really dominate this map if its pilot knows what he/she is doing. The key nodes are really well defended with turrets and small raised platforms (hard to hit with a bomb). Of course, these can be worked around
Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
Tommybg2003
Noob

played this map for the first time last night, really enjoyed it

"Destiny has one great test in store for us all... has mine already come?
And have I failed it?... A deed, once done, cannot be undone. But perhaps...
it may yet be mitigated."
Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Kamek
Unreal Goblin Hunter

Yeah, this one turned out pretty well actually. Kinda weird at first but it grows on you. Too bad the runes don't work with vehicles, it severely limits their usability

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught