Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 06-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Sam151B
Getting there...

Default Goodbye. -Sam

Its been a pleasure, y'all. (Exceptions: Yoyoma, Mutantpilgrim, California/Monika, Nali)

It's time to move on with my gaming, if I can find any time for it at all. This server has lost its appeal (for me), and with it the appeal of UT. I'm not interested in other gametypes & DW's map selection blows, IMHO.

Let me know if any of y'all play on other servers for other games. I'm looking to buy some more... UT2k4 was the only game I was playing. ( scsphotography ~@~ gmail )

Special shoutouts to 40oz (just fuckin let him come back), WMD, GTKU, Cyber_Rasta, Gonzo, Monterrey_Cali, and everyone else who worked together and kept it civil for the most part at the same time. YOU are the ones who made this game/server special. Oh, and the admins, gotta respect the time/effort they put in, especially since they don't even play Onslaught.

Apologies for anyone I bitched at unnecessarily. Before last October I had been unemployed for a couple years due to medical problems/the economy... it made me angry at the world a bit. Omni was one of my few respites from all the shit that went along with it. Thanks for all the great fights.

Frag on.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
steve
Server Sponsor

Take care. It warms my heart not to be in the exceptions list.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
L10Alton
[OMNI]-Rookie

Have a good one Sam, maybe there will be another UT game after UT3. Sam have you checked out "Tribes Ascend" the game is powered by Unreal Technology and it's free to play.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam151B View Post
Special shoutouts to 40oz (just fuckin let him come back), ..... Oh, and the admins, gotta respect the time/effort they put in, especially since they don't even play Onslaught.
I agree, you gotta show a lot of respect for all the guys that keep this thing running who don't even play ONS anymore. And, since becoming an admin myself a few short months ago I never fully understood all the shit they have to put up with.

You have no earthly idea how many hours and how much energy I've put in to the 40oz situation. I had considered him my friend on the server. We did not intend to perma-ban the guy. More than one in-game admin witnessed the events that precipitated his ban. The non-playing admins have witnessed how he's conducted himself here. He was given every opportunity to work things out and at every opportunity he has shown no signs of being cooperative or civil.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably say "just fuckin let him come back" too. But I'm not in your shoes. I'm in mine. If you were in my shoes you'd understand.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I retired long before you showed up, but I always enjoyed your thoughts and ideas you
bandied about in the forums.

Good luck with everything.

and see-ya.

However, once a UT addict, always a UT addict. There's a good chance nostalgia will
bite you in the ass one day down the road, maybe you'll wander back.

peace,

Carpe

Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
<LBG>LooseCannon
Let the hate flow . . .

Good luck. I've been looking for a new game since that snot-wad UT3 came out, and everything seems like a rip-off of everything else.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
GlueEater
Getting there...

Ironicly Sam was the guy who gave me the nudge I needed. I struggled all last year to stay interested. Alot of good players had retired and we were down to the same 32 people doing the same things on the same maps night after night. January 12th I jumped on for a couple rounds and I started the night out by getting whooped up on in a round of MB, I ended up at the top of my team at 100+ points, Domm had 18 (yes he played all of both rounds). I remember that because he was screaming at us and telling everyone we sucked. Man, that guy has changed....
Two rounds later Sam I were in a cicada, we jumped out and he grabbed the double damage. When we jumped back in I ended up in the driver's seat but I couldn't set her back down to switch because I immediately got a missle lock from two raptors coming at us. I tried to get us to the mino but instead of Sam dropping flares to divert the missles, he texted some nasty insults.
I apologized but it didn't help, he should know by now that I don't steal vehicles on purpose. The rest of the round the guy just insulted me over and over again. I couldn't help but think about how long have we been playing together. My answer was ... too long.
I think alot of times you can just play a game too long. Many of the guys that were silly and I enjoyed playing with, had left or just changed. I decided to leave too. I haven't played since then and I haven't had a desire to.
I will go ahead and throw out a suggestion to try World of Tanks. I tried it for four months. Decided I didn't like it but DJ loves it. He's got a clan going. I'm sure he'd give some great advice on which tanks to grind. You need a decent comp with a good graphics card. My only advice. Bring alot of patience. It's free to play but it does have some issues that need addressed by the devs that just drove me nuts. Many guys don't have any issues with them. We're all different so you may enjoy it. Good luck in whatever your next hobby is.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Sam151B
Getting there...

@Glue: Shiiit sorry man. I remember that. It was a bad day, offline. I didn't mean to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I always did enjoy playing with you (and everyone else in this thread).

Those sort of vehicle misunderstandings were my biggest pet peeve, and I had had bad experiences with otherwise good players who turned into assholes (Mutantpilgrim, among others). I didn't mean to be a hypocrite, even though I was plenty hypocritical with my text rantings from time to time. Thats why I never got a microphone... I didn't want to sound like guys like yoyo or se8en, even occasionally. At least with text, I thought, people could ignore me if they were so inclined. Shit.

@ Carpe: I'm sure you're right... eventually. 5 round epic dria matches still hold fond memories... especially when they were decided in the last 30 seconds. I'm starting two different startups (one tech related, one photography related) in addition to a low-paying 30 hour a week blue-collar job. I have to work for myself - nobody pays shit/treats employees honorably anymore.

@ Everyone: Oh, and how could I forget DOMM! I've never come across such a selfless, relentless team player online before. Stay strong, man. And DJ... I know I've gone after you a couple times, but you were always a worthy opponent and your maps rocked. Thanks for the epic fights.

When I eventually find the time, I'll probably check out Tribes and Renegade X, once they get the multiplayer version completed. Thanks for the recommendations. I probably won't be gaming again for several months at the earliest anyways. Once I do I'll come back to the forums & message people/create a thread for usernames of whatever games I end up playing.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Dr.Gonzo
Fear and Loathing in UT

Default GonZo's Two Cents.

So long Sam! It's been a pleasure. I wish more players would take the time to sign off before just vanishing.

I keep playing this game partly because it's the only one on the lab computers. I think the last GTS team working down here must have had LAN matches for something, since in on just about every machine. Can't get permission to add anything else and wouldn't try. Running samples through the XRF (x-ray diffractor, why they don't call it the XRD, i'll never know, but I digress) all night gets dull. It sometimes takes hours to process an entire suite so when I'm stuck down in the sub-basement or over in the equipment lab I can always kill some time killing all of you while. I'm going to be down here quite a bit for the next 4 months or so, but after that, I think they're redeploying me to our B facility but I don't know for sure. They might send me back to Saudi, but I hope not, my ping will go through the roof and I'll have to spend all my spare time playing dominoes with Dr. Karnes (losing 4 out of 5 of them). Anyway, none of you know what I'm talking about and I can't say too much about it. I just wanted to say that all you other players have been a great relief to my psyche when the concrete walls start closing in. This game is chess to me, and playing on Omni means playing with some of the best players on Earth. We'll see how long it lasts. Well, if they ever do ship me out of here, I'll be sure and do you all the service of signing off, though sometimes I think there wont be anybody left to read it.

If I don't see you again Sam, have a good life. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam151B View Post

@ Carpe: I'm sure you're right... eventually. 5 round epic dria matches still hold fond memories... especially when they were decided in the last 30 seconds. I'm starting two different startups (one tech related, one photography related) in addition to a low-paying 30 hour a week blue-collar job. I have to work for myself - nobody pays shit/treats employees honorably anymore.
First, congrats and kudo's on taking the steps to become self sufficient. I did that 23 years ago and while being
self employed has it's own pitfalls it has been a wonderful ride. Good luck.

As for UT ? Dammit, I'd be reticent not to include my usual story, so pull up a chair

I too was tiring on my first love (ONS). I noticed frustration creeping in. I noticed my usual character changing and
becoming something that I didn't like. Then I found Freon. Team game concept (which I like) but with a DM skill
set. One I had never practised or played very much, hence I sucked. Now I had a "goal" in UT again, to get better.

And as an added bonus, I became part of another great community. In fact, there have been two real life gatherings
of HoC players (theme parks, Cedar Pointe and Busch Gardens/Orlando) where we've been able to bs & talk to shit to eachother
over beer/pop and suspect food.

If and when you feel inclined, check out Freon at HoC (House Of Carpe)

Once again Sam, thanks for your contribution to this community and good luck where ever the wind may take you...

CD

Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Smegma
Getting there...

I retired too... because my neighbor moved and brought his internet connection with him. It doesn't bother me much since the server doesn't even fill up anymore. I'm working on a frag movie and I should be done soon. In fact, Maya 2012 is spitting out the first draft as I'm writing this.

I had a lot of fun re-watching my demos which made me wonder; how many people make demos? Perhaps someone can share their demos with those interested to view them.

As for character changing due to gaming, I've noticed that I got massive headaches due to the level of concentration required to play this game with the intensity I had.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegma View Post
I had a lot of fun re-watching my demos which made me wonder; how many people make demos? Perhaps someone can share their demos with those interested to view them.
I'd love to make some demos. I've got powerful up-to-date computers both Windows and Mac. I barely know how to type demorec to start recording (but can never remember the command to stop).

I make my living providing computer and technical services. But when it comes to taking whatever file demorec creates and making it into something that I can show others I'm not educated. I could do it once I gained the knowledge and the motivation.

Also, I wonder if I could just run demorec continuously while I play. I've got a system with an Intel Core i7-2600k and a 256GB SSD. Other than gobbling up a bunch of space would I have a huge adverse impact on my PCs gaming performance - i.e. would it lag more, lower FPS or whatever?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Binger

stopdemo or demostop. I can never remember the right one. Demorec doesn't record sound. You also have to convert the file it saves to AVI through the game. This takes a long time on my decent computer. If you let Demorec run continuously you would end up with a demo that would take a very long time to convert to AVI using the game. However, I think you can run the demo and record it using something like Fraps and start and stop Fraps whenever you want.

I recently got the full version of Fraps and it works well. I had audio issues with the trial version but I'm not sure why. No audio problems with the full version. The only weird thing about it is it seems to limit the game's frame rate to whatever the Fraps frame rate is set to. Fraps records AVI clips which stay under 4Gb. I'm not sure why since I have it recording to a NTFS drive but I haven't found a way to make it record it as one file. No biggy though as you can use a program like Win Movie Maker or Virtualdub to combine the clips and convert them to something other than AVI. This also takes a long time on my computer but in the end it works well.

Take a look at this thread...

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...ighlight=fraps

Smeg, I also noticed a huge drop in players recently. I was thinking it was just summertime but then I compared it to DW. I think Sam took all the players with him.

http://www.theclq.com/ags/players.ph...79.234.80:8000
http://www.theclq.com/ags/players.ph...00.49.221:7777
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Smegma
Getting there...

A five-round onslaught game takes about a hundred fifty megabytes of disk space. A full avi from fraps will be many gigs. Demorec only records your movements and the movements of you opponents in the same vicinity. It barely has any impact on the proformance of you PC. Any PC after 2006 should be able to handle Ut2004 with great ease.

Frame-dumping is the way to got to create a very rich movie. The idea is to capture every frame into bmp format, then do whatever you want with it so than it becomes a movie. There are a few problems I've come across making movies. 1)There is a bug where if you are in the second seat of a vehicle, the direction where you are looking at becomes fixed at the position you were looking at the time you first got into the vehicle. Also, looking at a tank, paladin, mino, etc from the outside also makes them appear as though their guns are pointing in the wrong direction because the demo hasn't recorded their position. 2)There can be frame rate spikes and drops. If you are capturing every frame and then re-assembling them, you will not have a perfect demo. Example: If the fps of the demo is 45 and at some point it drops to 30, when you make the final avi, that moment will appear sped up in the movie (1.5 times faster than actual speed). This also creates problems if you record the sound separately because the sound will inevitably be out of sync. 3) In order to make movies, you have to have a crap load of harddisk space. 4) It takes a lot of time. 5) It's hard to choose and synchronize a song to the movie.

The easier but more disgusting solution is to use Fraps, as mentioned, but I'm not. In reality, all I wanted people to share were their demorecs, not a full post-production avi of them. Big difference.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Deranged
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
Domm had 18 (yes he played all of both rounds). I remember that because he was screaming at us and telling everyone we sucked. Man, that guy has changed....
Blew my mind too when I came back recently.

DOMM, if you're reading this, what happened to that upbeat, encouraging, team voice? You used to stay positive even in the worst of circumstances.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Cortak
Throw the Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
Blew my mind too when I came back recently.

DOMM, if you're reading this, what happened to that upbeat, encouraging, team voice? You used to stay positive even in the worst of circumstances.
Has he started playing a console recently? I know that can send some people down the wrong path when gaming.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

Take care. I haven't been playing on here as much, and find that I miss you guys when I don't, so I've been playing at least once or twice a week. After playing with some of you for so long, it feels like you guys are family. Get back on once in a while just to say "hi"!

I've also been playing some COD4 lately... nice for a change, but it doesn't have the same teamwork feel.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught