Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Sam151B
Getting there...

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 185
Default Magicislev10b
Reply With Quote


Can we get back to that version? The planned rotation seems to have stopped on v9 far longer than it was on v7 or v8. Thanks.
Sam151B is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
La5eR
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Default
Reply With Quote


Sam, I for one would like an updated version where there are floating islands in the sky. That'd be HS'n ACE!
__________________
La5eR is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
<LBG>LooseCannon
Let the hate flow . . .
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: here.
Posts: 216
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by La5eR View Post
Sam, I for one would like an updated version where there are floating islands in the sky. That'd be HS'n ACE!

<LBG>LooseCannon is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 480
Default v10b My two cents
Reply With Quote


V10b is the most unbalanced, laggy, version of this map. In a flier dominated map that Magic is, this version gives you even more fliers, and more importantly it gives both teams a Wasp at nodes 1 and 2. The only thing that does is render the ground vehicles useless because the wasp can kill anything on the ground in under 8 seconds, Kraken may take a little longer. I would like to see a version of this map with no fliers at all, or maybe 1 per side.

The version V9 has the most balance with the modded fliers. You get a wasp IF you get one of the middle nodes up, not a guarantee at nodes 1 and 2 like in v10b. The rediculously overpowered wasp, I don't like at all. It's too fast, too powerful and in the right hands unstoppable. For the rest of us that don't have top of the line hardware to play on and hundred dollar a month internet service, at least let the wasp be a reward for working to get nodes 7 or 9 up, and not a given at 1 and 2. V9 is King. Long live the King!
Mr.Crow is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

 
Carpe Diem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,695
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
. For the rest of us that don't have top of the line hardware to play on and hundred dollar a month internet service
Or more accurately, living within 400miles of the server and enjoying a 20-30 ping.

I'm in the communications field and have illustrated many times in the past the huge advantage low pingers
have, particularly in tight and hectic battles.

Sure would be nice to have ping compensation netcode for all gametypes (currently available for Instagib only).
__________________
Black holes are where God divided by 0. - Steven Wright






Carpe Diem is offline  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?
 
Mad_Dach5und's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,081
Default Long time...
Reply With Quote


Wow 4300+ unread posts - been a long time since I've been in here. Sorry I haven't been participating as heavily as I used to.

I agree v10 Magicisle is not the ideal map - granted I'm not online here as much as I used to, but it's rotation in the server seems to have almost disappeared compared to how often it was played in earlier versions.

I thought at one time someone was going to look into tweaking the WASP's lateral movement and toning it down a bit - part of the reason it's it so devastating is that it can fly sideways almost as fast as it flies forward, which means dodging missiles is a piece of cake for anyone with a low ping.

Personally, the spawn location to have a WASP that you have to 'earn' without making it too easy for one team to gain two of them would be nodes 4 and 6, near to the Deemer tank, which ironically is the vehicle you SHOULD be able to use to shoot them down.
__________________
You're just jealous because the Voices are only talking to ME!
Edit; Voices are telling me to shut up and stop bragging.
Mad_Dach5und is offline  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Sam151B
Getting there...

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 185
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Dach5und View Post

I thought at one time someone was going to look into tweaking the WASP's lateral movement and toning it down a bit - part of the reason it's it so devastating is that it can fly sideways almost as fast as it flies forward, which means dodging missiles is a piece of cake for anyone with a low ping.

Personally, the spawn location to have a WASP that you have to 'earn' without making it too easy for one team to gain two of them would be nodes 4 and 6, near to the Deemer tank, which ironically is the vehicle you SHOULD be able to use to shoot them down.
Gorzakk did that with his post v10b Magicisle-Gorz version. The lateral movement and/or top speed was slowed down, if I recall correctly. Sadly, he changed a lot of other stuff (that didn't need to be changed) and made the map a fraction of it's previous popularity. Then we started cycling through the older versions instead of keeping the gorz version on the server. I think that pissed him off quite a bit, and he hasn't been around much since.

Apparently DJ is working on a tank centric version, but I don't know how that is coming along... I'm skeptical of that idea on such a big map. We had a couple threads about this map last year, and some good ideas were pitched. There was some support for my idea: basically v9 with (toned down wasp from gorz version, maybe an added respawn time), and expanded borders from v10b (on v9 3/10 is too easy to defend without the expanded borders).

In addition v10b/gorz has the fixed kraken (no bio hit/view point goes crazy glitch & slightly tweaked gunner weapons). I actually like the wasp at 1/2. It's far enough away from the action that it takes a little time to get where it needs to be in most cases. If it only had a 3 minute or so respawn time and/or tweaked movement a la the gorz tweaked wasp it would be perfect.

Edit: I should add that I dislike the wasp in the middle because of momentum: If you have a node up in the middle it is already an advantage, adding a wasp to that is too much advantage. Thats what I dislike about v9 - too much focus on mino heal spot spamming and not enough on actually having flyers attack the middle (where they are quite vulnerable when doing.) Now I'm in agreement with you over the wasp being overpowered, I'm just saying that having it at 7/9 is a small limitation on it's effect over the course of a match.
Sam151B is offline  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 480
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Dach5und View Post
Wow 4300+ unread posts - been a long time since I've been in here. Sorry I haven't been participating as heavily as I used to.

I agree v10 Magicisle is not the ideal map - granted I'm not online here as much as I used to, but it's rotation in the server seems to have almost disappeared compared to how often it was played in earlier versions.

I thought at one time someone was going to look into tweaking the WASP's lateral movement and toning it down a bit - part of the reason it's it so devastating is that it can fly sideways almost as fast as it flies forward, which means dodging missiles is a piece of cake for anyone with a low ping.

Personally, the spawn location to have a WASP that you have to 'earn' without making it too easy for one team to gain two of them would be nodes 4 and 6, near to the Deemer tank, which ironically is the vehicle you SHOULD be able to use to shoot them down.
SHOULD is the operative word mad dog. I don't think any of the vehicles that shoot plasma, be it the kraken or deemer tank, can hit anything in the air; unless it is coming toward you. The plasma doesn't track or keep up with any modded fliers. If you have ever been in the kraken, and been under attack from the wasp, you will see the plasma is a joke, 5000 health is not gonna save you. The avrils don't track or keep up with much either. I watched the dragon outrun an avril the other night and I thought, what a useless weapon.

The people who have the ability to change things in this game, do make great positive changes, but lose sight of the picture as a whole at times. In my opinion if you modify a vehicle to make it better, faster, more powerful- you should also make some change to the way that vehicle can be countered. I have heard players say the wasp balances the mino. Thats bull. The other teams mino, balances the mino. The vehicle loadout is the same, the difference should be at the middle ground where the team that wants it more, gets a middle node up and reap the rewards.

Sam, you kinda make my point for me my friend. If you let the other team have 7 or 9, then you will suffer the result of letting them have a wasp, or two. I say fight for it at 7,9.

Mad, nodes 4 or 6 STILL guarantees that each team gets a wasp. I am saying let it be something the team has to fight for, it has to be at a node that either team has an equal chance to get.

One more thing, can we do away with weakened deemers in the deemer tank? In a 32player game it is pretty tough to get one where you want it, and if you can, let it deliver all of it's intended firepower.
Mr.Crow is offline  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Sam151B
Getting there...

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 185
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
Sam, you kinda make my point for me my friend. If you let the other team have 7 or 9, then you will suffer the result of letting them have a wasp, or two. I say fight for it at 7,9.

Mad, nodes 4 or 6 STILL guarantees that each team gets a wasp. I am saying let it be something the team has to fight for, it has to be at a node that either team has an equal chance to get.

One more thing, can we do away with weakened deemers in the deemer tank? In a 32player game it is pretty tough to get one where you want it, and if you can, let it deliver all of it's intended firepower.
My point was that the location at 7 and 9 was less than ideal because:
1) it encouraged mino heal spot camping (which gets old quick and focuses too much attention on the middle)
2) having the wasp spawn at the middle of the map (vs nodes 1/2 on v10b) puts it far too close to the nodes it usually attacks, 3/10. Better to have it at 1/2 & have it be guaranteed but with a long respawn time & flight distance to the action.

Now if it weren't for those 2 points, I'd agree with you that the contested nodes would be the best spot for the wasp. In fact, if there were some way to make it so that just one wasp spawned if you got both middle nodes up, I'd go for a wasp in the middle.

Hell, the wasp could just be deleted from the map. I've never liked it much anyway, even if I use it from time to time. If it was taken off I think the kraken could use a couple thousand less health to compensate.

It would be cool if DJ came in here and gave us an ETA on his version.
Sam151B is offline  
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 480
Default
Reply With Quote


What do you think about the wasp spawning at nodes 3,10? Heavily contested nodes, not necessarily a guarantee because as soon as yours is up, so is theirs, and with the way I've seen the dragon used, both 3,10 do not always go to the respective teams side. Might be a good fix.

Sam I like your idea of getting both middle nodes to enable a single wasp to spawn. Where would it spawn? At the core, right at the heal point 7,9; in the middle of the map somewhere, unlocked so either team could get it? I wish I knew how to make changes in the maps so I could submit my ideas for review. (where does Djat-t live anyway?)

A no flier version or core fliers only version would be so nice. The current versions all favor the fliers and give those with low ping a big advantage. Not much I dislike more than driving a core tank out, getting close to a node just to have Robert come by in his wasp to wipe me out in seconds. I would vote in favor of removing the wasp from v10b, but not from all maps.
Mr.Crow is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?
 
Mad_Dach5und's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,081
Default
Reply With Quote


Would it be too big of a game-changer to make the center heal spot INTO an extra Center node? The tank usage would definitely become more stealthy and conservative with no place to recharge. Just link it between 7 and 9 only. I don't think it would be realistic to spawn anything inside the 'temple' besides flyers, so maybe a wasp, a manta, and a handheld deemer? Has THAT idea ever been botted out?
__________________
You're just jealous because the Voices are only talking to ME!
Edit; Voices are telling me to shut up and stop bragging.
Mad_Dach5und is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Sam151B
Getting there...

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 185
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Dach5und View Post
Would it be too big of a game-changer to make the center heal spot INTO an extra Center node? The tank usage would definitely become more stealthy and conservative with no place to recharge. Just link it between 7 and 9 only. I don't think it would be realistic to spawn anything inside the 'temple' besides flyers, so maybe a wasp, a manta, and a handheld deemer? Has THAT idea ever been botted out?
I like the nodes the way they are. I'm leery of anything that would concentrate more attention on the middle. Another proposal I had was to put the heal spot mid air or on top of the center 'chimney' between 7 and 9. That way the mino heal spot spammage would be less sustainable.
Sam151B is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
La5eR
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Default
Reply With Quote


One thing that /could/ feasibly be done is this.

So if you have played Surripierie and basement home theater where there are zones that vehicles are prohibited from entering and runes respectively
1) park your vehicle outside of this zone at nodes 6 or 4
2) stand inside the zone where only players can enter
3) have this area give you the affect of the infinite ammo rune from basement home theater but ONLY give you link-gun ammo.

This is just a thought since those nodes sort of look like outpost buildings.
__________________
La5eR is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 480
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by La5eR View Post
One thing that /could/ feasibly be done is this.

So if you have played Surripierie and basement home theater where there are zones that vehicles are prohibited from entering and runes respectively
1) park your vehicle outside of this zone at nodes 6 or 4
2) stand inside the zone where only players can enter
3) have this area give you the affect of the infinite ammo rune from basement home theater but ONLY give you link-gun ammo.

This is just a thought since those nodes sort of look like outpost buildings.
Do they make a jibberish translator for laser's posts? How does this relate to the topic? Take your meds as prescribed dude.
Mr.Crow is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.