Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
DjAy-T
<--CheckOutThe @$$ on her

Default BEEEEP-"Clear"-JoLt-"still a flatline!"....

So, im noticing that the player numbers are indeed dropping. in regards to that, i think i might have the solution to keep the interests up.
SCENARIO: (room is packed)
the maps come up...
MTMU- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
Tyrant- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
StarReach- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
MTMU(again)- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
MagicIsle- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
Master Bath- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
Kackmo- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
BitchSlap- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
Pyroclastic- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
Dria- 3 to 5 rounds= 1 hour
HomeSweetHome- 3 to 5 rounds=1 hour
Then a few more get played, and the gray area maps come up. during these gray area maps, players start decreasing about 5 or 6 a game till finally, the server reads "5/32 players playing"

Now, i feel that the players love the maps they love-and leave on the ones that they'll be stuck playing for the next hour. While keeping in mind that everyone has different tastes, i propose that some maps' ROUNDS be changed to a different amount of wins required to finish the level. there are a lot of levels that i'm either tired of playing or just don't care for. but if the level was over in half the time, it might not be so bad to play. i've kept a mental track of people's comments for the past few weeks on reasons for leaving the game, at least 70% of them say "I dont think i can handle playing that level for the next hour, cu guys!"

this i just a suggestion and by all means food for thought! this game is why i am here. it is why i post in these forums. and this server is responsible for how much i love to play. a few months ago, i knew nothing about building a map. now today, i can build em, fix em, and upgrade em.(thanks to BadWolf, WMD40, Big Al, and Foibos) the only reason i got into doing it is because i want the game to keep its spark, and to give back what i've gotten out of it!

so if anyone has suggestions on improving, post it and be heard. this is not the official way to do it, but maybe i can inspire a good idea out of someone.

THANKS OMNI!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

"you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time"

I totally agree with what you're saying Deej, but the harsh realities (in regards to declining numbers) is that UT2K4 is an old lady... grand, great, but none the less aging.

The argument over maps, rounds and durations has been around for years now. It's the same old thing over and over. There are about SEVENTY maps available on the server... most of them quite decent. Not perfect... but players are FAR too picky in my mind. Your list represents a mere %15 of the available choices. It all boils down to players (most of them) NOT willing to step outside their comfort levels or zones. "I hate this map"... "this map sucks"... blah blah blah. I enjoy EVERY ONS map, they may not be my favourite, but I love playing... variety IS the spice of life. I'm reminded of an old Shel Silverstein song...

after you've been having, steak for a long time
beans beans taste fine

After you've been drinking Champagne brandy
A man will settle for wine

So, live on the edge... play ArcticStronghold-ECE, RedPlanet or Severance... ya, they are old and flawed in some respects and they don't have the uber-rides; but they are also the maps that most of us cut our ONS teeth on and they are quite enjoyable to play again... sure, not all the time, but for variety, they do the trick.

But the sad reality (in my mind), based on past experiences, is players WILL not change. The same maps will be played over and over. Players will go do something else because they just missed their fave map (boo-hoo). Life will go on, players will move on, UT2K4 will keep aging... and only the extreme diehards will remain. Thats a good thing in one respect as the players left will usually be the ones that I want to be a community with. If (and or when) UT2K4 ever really dies, then I will probably hang my gaming spurs up and ride off into the sunset. Until then... play on...

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
vitrify
I'll turn you into glass!

Players do change, just very slowly and gradually. I remember when we rarely ever played Kakmo, or always played BitchSlap(It's still played, but not always first choice).
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
flyswatter
Fly.:LLS:.

Tbh, whenever I'm on, ONS server is almost completely full
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
DjAy-T
<--CheckOutThe @$$ on her

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Tbh, whenever I'm on, ONS server is almost completely full
Well... Aren't i the popular one?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught