Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Hammerheads...climbing..

Had it happen a couple times, I'll be above another hammerhead and climbing (eg. going up) and the other HH outclimbs me easily....is there a different key combination to make this happen?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I just hold spacebar and spam minigun fire. Not sure what everyone else is doing. If there's a faster way to climb I'd like to know.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Yes, same here, but I've had Enyo and Army both outclimb me easily while doing that....not sure why
Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

I think it's a game physics thing. When flyers are moving in a direction (forward or sideways) AND up at the same time and hit the imposed ceiling of the map they lose some altitude which you can't seem to prevent, like some invisible force pushing you back down a little, almost like you're bouncing off it. If I approach you from beneath while you're climbing and you hit the ceiling, you're going to "bounce" downward while I'm still going up. It then takes some time to regain your altitude, giving me extra time to unload with the miniguns or line up for a better artillery shot.

Also, I've noticed the bounce off the map ceiling is less or non-existent if you climb straight up, without moving forward or any other direction at the same time, meaning I won't bounce back down as much as you did, taking even longer for you to regain the high ground. I think it just appears like I'm able to climb higher, but I'm not really. I also think it's a lack of reference point when you're facing off in the sky and there's no ground in view to give you a good sense of relative positioning.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 AM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I always wanted to put a bounce effect in on the ceilings of the maps I worked on.. I think I did on 1 or 2, but can't recall which ones.

A
Old 01-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
provert
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I think it's a game physics thing. When flyers are moving in a direction (forward or sideways) AND up at the same time and hit the imposed ceiling of the map they lose some altitude which you can't seem to prevent, like some invisible force pushing you back down a little, almost like you're bouncing off it. If I approach you from beneath while you're climbing and you hit the ceiling, you're going to "bounce" downward while I'm still going up. It then takes some time to regain your altitude, giving me extra time to unload with the miniguns or line up for a better artillery shot.

Also, I've noticed the bounce off the map ceiling is less or non-existent if you climb straight up, without moving forward or any other direction at the same time, meaning I won't bounce back down as much as you did, taking even longer for you to regain the high ground. I think it just appears like I'm able to climb higher, but I'm not really. I also think it's a lack of reference point when you're facing off in the sky and there's no ground in view to give you a good sense of relative positioning.
I've hot the ceiling, and I know what that is. But they are correct, some players are able to have a higher climb rate in the hammerhead. If I start climbing after you, I expect to always be below you until you hit first, and vise versa. What they are talking about is when you start climbing before your opponent but they climb faster than you and end up above you. Someone was asking if Enyo uses a joystick because his hammerheads do things most others cannot, and it it wasn't me who asked ;-) I tried asking you but you never responded in game. All things being equal, if both players press space (or whatever their keybind is) at the same time, they both should be level with one another the whole way up.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by provert View Post
I've hot the ceiling, and I know what that is. But they are correct, some players are able to have a higher climb rate in the hammerhead. If I start climbing after you, I expect to always be below you until you hit first, and vise versa. What they are talking about is when you start climbing before your opponent but they climb faster than you and end up above you. Someone was asking if Enyo uses a joystick because his hammerheads do things most others cannot, and it it wasn't me who asked ;-) I tried asking you but you never responded in game. All things being equal, if both players press space (or whatever their keybind is) at the same time, they both should be level with one another the whole way up.
I do not use a joystick... never have and it would probably severely fuck up the way I play. I swear I use only a mouse and keyboard, like everyone else. I really think it's just an innate sense that some players have in flyers of the 3D surroundings that makes it seem like they climb "better" or "faster." I REALLY like flyers and much prefer them to tanks due to their maneuverability. They just "feel" natural to me... tanks make me bored and I feel like I'm moving through molasses, probably due to me being ADHD. I honestly can't really say what it is I do different but I just "know" when I can out-climb another flyer and gain the upper ground. I really think it's just a timing thing.

Side note... when I first played Halo on the xbox many years ago, I remember how excited I was that I could get in a flyer and dominate the enemy. That was my first experience in a 3D simulation of a flying FPS and loved it. When I got in my first raptor in UT it immediately reminded me of Halo and it just felt right. I probably should have been an airforce drone pilot for a living.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Xexx

If you start your ascent from a lower relative position than another climbing player, you can penetrate further into the map ceiling before the game physics propels you back downward. Certain maps seem to have thicker ceiling volumes, so it's more pronounced on some maps. The ceiling volume appears to have levels of resistance that can be overcome more easily by collisions as well. I have killed dragons and other hammerheads by breaking the momentum an enemy vehicle is gaining from their climb rate, allowing me to maintain a higher altitude once they are propelled downward by my bump. Wasted directional movements will lessen your climb rate momentum as well from my experience.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Yeah sometimes if I want to hide in the fog during a commute I'll make sure to climb more upward (if not, straight up) from ground level to get a little higher arc in my path. It's surprising how often people won't look that high to find you.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
If you start your ascent from a lower relative position than another climbing player, you can penetrate further into the map ceiling before the game physics propels you back downward. Certain maps seem to have thicker ceiling volumes, so it's more pronounced on some maps. The ceiling volume appears to have levels of resistance that can be overcome more easily by collisions as well. I have killed dragons and other hammerheads by breaking the momentum an enemy vehicle is gaining from their climb rate, allowing me to maintain a higher altitude once they are propelled downward by my bump. Wasted directional movements will lessen your climb rate momentum as well from my experience.
I think that's pretty much what I was trying to say here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post

I've been paying more attention to the ceiling "bounce-off" and it definitely varies by map. Played on AbandonedCity the other day... it has a very low ceiling, just above the shorter buildings. You can take off in the raptor or Cicada, climb quickly above the rooftops, but cannot maintain that altitude. The map will just push the flyer back down to a level that's lower than the rooftops and you can't climb back above that unless you get out of the flyer and take off upwards again. Kind of annoying, but I wonder if this is the same effect as when you first take off in a manta that you can jump higher right after you get in than you can on later jumps?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

You can "fight" the ceiling in Kakmo and climb with a flyer over the hill, easier done with a paladin.

I still haven't been able to get onto a building in Nevermore. There may be an invisible wall anyway but with a flyer you can get close.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught