Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 06-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Default Map Pruning

In the other thread about how to increase the number of different maps played on the server, one idea brought up is to remove the "worst" maps from the list. This would make it easier to find good alternatives to the top 10 maps that are played every rotation. It would also reduce the number of times that a bad map empties the server (and yes, this does happen consistently for certain maps).
If anyone has suggestions, please post the map name along with a reason of why it should be removed. Here are mine:

Urban-Gz:
This is a map that rarely gets voted, and usually makes a lot of players quit. It would play much better if the Turtle was removed. Reverting it back to the previous version could work.

Furious3/FastAndFurious:
Having three Fast and Furious maps is too much. The crash map, 2Fast2Furious is played often enough as is.

Battlefront/Battlefront-Future-Combat:
Maps that almost never get voted and consistently make about half the players leave. Single-node choke points should not be on maps with more than ten players.

Dreamus:
There are several versions of this map out there, and the version on the server is not the good one.

GritNights:
There are too many nodes on this version, and the Badgers are extremely buggy. It should be removed until I or someone else can fix it.

Alpine:
Lots of overpowered flyers and a couple of AA benders. ONS-SlatedWorld is an improvement in every way.

Rail:
I kind of like this map, but the gameplay is extremely stale. There are just two straight lanes of nodes without any good options for teamwork or strategy. There aren't any vehicles either. ONS-Goliath and ONS-BridgeofFate are better options.

StripClub:
The Falcon is too powerful compared to everything else, and spawns almost instantly. The red floors and minimap give a big advantage to the red team.

DiamondSword:
Should be removed until I make a new version without the Mobile Asshole Station.

All-Fall-Down:
I think this map is fun, but it's very confusing to navigate, and usually makes a lot of players leave.

MinusBadgerMeUp:
Doesn't offer better gameplay than the other three MTMU maps, and the weather effects make it very laggy.

Minus-)o(-V1a:
Pits a Mino against stock scorpions and Hellbenders. The outcome is not pretty.

Here is a list of maps that never get voted and have nothing that makes them stand out as good maps:
- Ahebban
- RomanRoads
- TheVine
- MasterBedroom
- ZeroImpact
- CrossFire
- Painted Desert
- DG-MeadowLand

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Turbo K; 06-05-2016 at 03:15 PM..
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Turbo I agree some of the maps can be offloaded but a few you have listed here we play often ( almost daily) during the afternoon Sonic and I play Minusv1a so please leave that one and the minus badgermeup (mclovin, sonic, jedi, and I play almost daily also. Rail is a fun stress relief we play also for a quick map.

Here is a idea, how about resetting the map played counts on the server and drop the last ten after a month?? then no one can argue about a played map being deleted since if it wasn't played its out of there buddy saves you the argument of "oh we like that map, BS"

Minus-)o(-V1a:
Pits a Mino against stock scorpions and Hellbenders. The outcome is not pretty
. TurboK anytime you want Sonic, McLovin, Jedi or I to teach you how to kill a mino let us know

Now why do I have a sinking feeling my name was just added to TurboK's 3x5 card of admin slaps
Old 06-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

I think I agree with almost all of those, Turbo K. I think HomeSweetHome is ripe for an edit... I used to enjoy the older version quite a lot. The version we have now isn't so fun, but I think it has potential to be a good one.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmallBerries View Post
I think I agree with almost all of those, Turbo K. I think HomeSweetHome is ripe for an edit... I used to enjoy the older version quite a lot. The version we have now isn't so fun, but I think it has potential to be a good one.
Do you know exactly which version? The HomeSweetHome on the server is actually one of my favorite maps, but there are a couple of things that could be improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post
Turbo I agree some of the maps can be offloaded but a few you have listed here we play often ( almost daily) during the afternoon Sonic and I play Minusv1a so please leave that one and the minus badgermeup (mclovin, sonic, jedi, and I play almost daily also. Rail is a fun stress relief we play also for a quick map.

Minus-)o(-V1a:
Pits a Mino against stock scorpions and Hellbenders. The outcome is not pretty
. TurboK anytime you want Sonic, McLovin, Jedi or I to teach you how to kill a mino let us know
That's good to know. I don't usually play early in the day, and am unfamiliar with what maps are popular then. And yes, I do know how to take out a Mino on foot.

I'm glad to see other people enjoy ONS-Rail. I don't think that it's a "fast map" though.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
dimshade
Getting there...

There are 2 versions of dreamus on the server I think. I'm not a fan of any version for the most part, so I would agree that we should pick/find the best one and only have that.

I actually enjoy Minus quite a bit, though I would understand if it got axed. The other maps mentioned I agree with.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I'm glad to see other people enjoy ONS-Rail. I don't think that it's a "fast map" though.
I meant fast as in fast action not play time sorry for confusion
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post
... please leave that one and the minus badgermeup (mclovin, sonic, jedi, and I play almost daily also.
I'd ask to please leave MinusBadgerMeUp on the server. It's my most favorite map. It's where I finally learned to how use the mino the correct way. And it does offer something no other map offers, flying mega badgers. The mega badger has fun physics. When hit by the enemy mega, it flys, literally, and is the funniest thing you may ever see on OMNI. I've never noticed lag on the rainy version but there is a clear daylight version that was on the server a while back, before the purge.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Terminator
Getting there...

Urban-GZ
Yeah, it needs to be removed and replaced with a previous version. The Turtle is too powerful.

Furious maps
Those two need to go. Keep the crash map version

Battlefrontís
I like the original Battlefront but it makes players leave so it should go.

Dreamus
The versions on OMNI arenít goodÖ DW has the best version Iíve seen.

Gritnights
I like this map; but I understand why it doesnít get played. It has those buggy badgers and those lame gravity vortex vehicles. I donít think the number of nodes is a problem though. Just update the map with better vehicles and maybe delete a node or two; or reroute them.

Alpine
This map is a mix of human barf and cow feces. Itís not flier friendly.

Rail
I like this map youíre correct. Goliath and BridgeOfFate are better maps for this style of ONS.

StripClub
Agreed.

DiamondSword
I like this map, it would be a lot better if the Mobile Asshole Station wasnít on it, as you mentioned. Iím not sure what would replace it though; if anything.

AllFallDown
I like this map a lot! Too bad it doesnít get played anymore.

MinusBadgerMeUp
Yeah, it needs to go. Itís laggy and an all badger map just doesnít work. I do like the REGDAB though. That badger needs to be in more maps.

Minus
I like the map but it has the same problem that Dria did before you removed the Minotaur; A mino against weaker vehicles with 300 or so health. The large splash radius of the Minotaur easily kills these vehicles. I do like the garage over some of the nodes though; wish that was implanted on other MTMU maps.

I agree with the rest. Maybe add Scorched to the list.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Enyo
Getting there...

I'm stunned that HooverDam hasn't been mentioned. It hardly ever gets voted and I've seen that map empty the server like no other. Talk about a convoluted node layout, Grit has nothing on Hoover.

I agree with smoker on Rail and MinusBadgerMeUp. Rail is a nice change-up from all the vehicle heavy maps and I love the speed of the all badger Minus. Where else am I gonna get my Ion Badger fix?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I'm stunned that HooverDam hasn't been mentioned. It hardly ever gets voted and I've seen that map empty the server like no other. Talk about a convoluted node layout, Grit has nothing on Hoover.

I agree with smoker on Rail and MinusBadgerMeUp. Rail is a nice change-up from all the vehicle heavy maps and I love the speed of the all badger Minus. Where else am I gonna get my Ion Badger fix?
I strongly agree with you on HooverDam. I have never seen a good match on that map, and it always empties the server. I've been working on a less-convoluted version that could replace it.

I didn't mention it because there are two regulars here who are big fans of the map, and will probably veto its removal.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned so far except I'm voting for keeping the fast furious trio. It's nice after a long match like Dria to play a couple short rounds and then call it a night.

I like Gritnights but yeah deleting a couple nodes could help. That map only seems to go well with a full server. Cool map though.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Here is a list of maps that never get voted and have nothing that makes them stand out as good maps:

- Ahebban
- RomanRoads
- TheVine
- ZeroImpact
- CrossFire
- Painted Desert

Any thoughts?
Ya, those are all nice maps. But, no stuper-vehicles so OH MY GAWD they never get played. I have
fond memories of all those maps, particularly Roman Roads as it was a map in the first (and only) ONS
tournament. Born out of that tournament was Chaos -> Spawn of Chaos -> HoC.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
BoFox
Just Registered

Cool, Carpe - I wish I could go back in time and play that tournament with you!

Quote:
In the other thread about how to increase the number of different maps played on the server, one idea brought up is to remove the "worst" maps from the list. This would make it easier to find good alternatives to the top 10 maps that are played every rotation. It would also reduce the number of times that a bad map empties the server (and yes, this does happen consistently for certain maps).
If anyone has suggestions, please post the map name along with a reason of why it should be removed. Here are mine:

Urban-Gz:
This is a map that rarely gets voted, and usually makes a lot of players quit. It would play much better if the Turtle was removed. Reverting it back to the previous version could work.
Maybe simply replace the turtle with an Aegis? Add the bunny nukes on top of the center of the map, just for giggles (like the one that was temporarily added to MagicIsle).

Quote:
Furious3/FastAndFurious:
Having three Fast and Furious maps is too much. The crash map, 2Fast2Furious is played often enough as is.
Yeah, I think 2 is definitely enough. Playing 3 of these in a row makes me leave.

Quote:
Battlefront/Battlefront-Future-Combat:
Maps that almost never get voted and consistently make about half the players leave. Single-node choke points should not be on maps with more than ten players.
Hmm, this gives me an idea - I'll discuss it at the end of this post.

Quote:
Dreamus:
There are several versions of this map out there, and the version on the server is not the good one.
Dreamus could be improved upon a bit. Add a transdimensional distributor just for fun, or some other crazy cool stuff. If bad maps should go, I think scorpions should go away as a vehicle first and foremost, and then we can concentrate on making bad maps better, LOL.

Quote:
GritNights:
There are too many nodes on this version, and the Badgers are extremely buggy. It should be removed until I or someone else can fix it.
GritNights was one of the most popular maps until a revision brought the subway tunnels linking the nodes. It made these nodes choke points that were easily dominated by a team with 1-2 players who quickly used these tunnels. Too much "invisibility" going on by the sneaky player who would turn everything around. It became too lame because of that. The subway tunnels just need to go. I loved pretty much all versions before the subway tunnels. It was one of the first maps with the Dragon as well, which was lots of fun to use.

Quote:
Alpine:
Lots of overpowered flyers and a couple of AA benders. ONS-SlatedWorld is an improvement in every way.
Oh boy, I loved this map with extremely high mountains, but do understand that some flyers are overpowered. Simply replace them with less powered updated versions like Raptor V2, Wasp V2, etc.? Well, this brings me back to my idea to be discussed shortly..

Quote:
Rail:
I kind of like this map, but the gameplay is extremely stale. There are just two straight lanes of nodes without any good options for teamwork or strategy. There aren't any vehicles either. ONS-Goliath and ONS-BridgeofFate are better options.

StripClub:
The Falcon is too powerful compared to everything else, and spawns almost instantly. The red floors and minimap give a big advantage to the red team.

DiamondSword:
Should be removed until I make a new version without the Mobile Asshole Station.

All-Fall-Down:
I think this map is fun, but it's very confusing to navigate, and usually makes a lot of players leave.

MinusBadgerMeUp:
Doesn't offer better gameplay than the other three MTMU maps, and the weather effects make it very laggy.

Minus-)o(-V1a:
Pits a Mino against stock scorpions and Hellbenders. The outcome is not pretty.

- Ahebban
- RomanRoads
- TheVine
- MasterBedroom
- ZeroImpact
- CrossFire
- Painted Desert
- DG-MeadowLand

Any thoughts?
Ok, now here's the idea (except for MinusBadgerMeUp which I love, like many others just said in this thread):
Have 2 different lists of maps for different times of the day. During "rush hour" times of the day, say from 4:30pm to 1am, have a list with only the popular maps that do not cause too many players to leave. That way, the less popular maps cannot be voted for. For the rest of the day, just leave everything in the list as usual, for anybody to vote for as they wish.

It might be just a minute's worth of effort each day, unless a batch file can be set to schedule the map list changes automatically at specific times of the day - while we get to enjoy the ideal of both worlds (less risk of loss of players, and players getting to choose what they love during the rest of the day).

DJayT, just change the carpet to Purple in StripClub! And add more pictures!

BTW, TurboK, can you check out the maps on CEONSS and perhaps ask for permission to host some of these maps on OMNI? Some of them are so awesome, like the latest CaptianGordon version. Crazy awesome, I mean! There's even a new version of a map (forgot the name) that uses an updated Scorpion with complex web mesh. CEONSS has some wicked versions of other maps as well, like DSKGunshop with revamped graphics and textures. There's a new version of MTMU with underground tunnels (although I'm not too fond of the tunnels - even a small tunnel in Urban from the core makes it a bit unattractive. Blah blah here I go..
Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #14
BoFox
Just Registered

Yo TurboK, dude!! You rock, bro, for all of the maps that you created!!!!

What's the list of every single one of them?!?

I absolutely loved Evergreen. It was really huge, but I loved that!! Sadly, it needed at least 32 players... only if UT2004 could've had supported a whopping 64 players (I can't imagine that many players!)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

I would like to see some other maps...DW and CEONSS has some good ones: Dreamus, DeathDome, Tricky, Spambox (lol j/k), SpiffingGrad, DryIce, Cataldipark, Somekind of Aliens map, and Deck 16.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

The only map I readily leave from is TankMeUp(if I got it correct)/PPC any version, the long corridor one, with the Camo-Map-Background. I feel it is too constrained for my tastes, but that's just me. Although, now that Pam is gone from the Ion Spam Tunnel, and We've been seemingly taking out other drivers in the Ion, it is growing on me.

I'll follow your lead here TK. I just miss playing unimpeded by familial commitments.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
BoFox
Just Registered

To all the map creators, especially TurboK here, I still feel like I can't express enough gratitude for your creativity and hard work in creating so much. It's the imagination that gives me nice dreams at night - all of these artistic alien worlds are so pleasing to envision!

Last edited by BoFox; 06-15-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
To all the map creators, especially TurboK here, I still feel like I can't express enough gratitude for your creativity and hard work in creating so much.
QFTô

Old 06-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #19
Binger

So I realize that it was my idea for this to happen but I'm not sure now that it's going to work. I have a lot more typed up that I was going to post about that but, sigh, it doesn't matter. I think a better way to get more variety would be to first raise the voting time and then to raise the cooldown number. I don't like raising the cooldown number but I'm so tired of playing the same maps over and over.

Anyway, my conservative choices for pruning would be...

-Adara
-AirMars
-Alpine
-Both Battlefronts
-ColdFusion
-Dawn
-DiamondSword
-One or both Dreamus
-Halloween (except in October)
-Hustle
-LonesomeGlen
-Maelstrom
-PaintedDesert
-Primeval
-RomanRoads
-Scorched (or put the old one back on)
-Silva
-Vine
-One of the Tanks-A-Lot
-Both Torlans
-TwinFang
-ZeroImpact

As far as Minus. Nightwolf and Badger are the only ones I wouldn't miss.

Edit: I forgot to add that Hoover is definitely in my top 5 fav maps but I would be willing to let it go without bitching (much) for the sake of pruning and compromise.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #20
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Ya, those are all nice maps. But, no stuper-vehicles so OH MY GAWD they never get played...
So true but for me it's not about the lack of stuper-vehicles and much as a lack of vehicles in general. The days of loading 10 people on a Manta are gone. I don't want to have to keep teleporting around to different nodes to find something other than a Scorpion to avoid walking to a node. Also ammo. I don't think every locker should be fully loaded with all weapons, I'm actually against that, but I want plenty of ammo for the ones I have and there should always be one for short range and one hitscan. So many of the old lockers seem to have just random load-outs that were done without any thought.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught