Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
IPreferQuake3
ONS Lover - UT DM Hater

GAMES Have a look at Planetside 2

Hi,
for all people like me who are still looking for a UT2k4 ONS replacement...
If you weren't too happy with "Tribes: Ascend", have a look at "Planetside 2".
I will have it, from the general gameplay feeling I had now, it feels, at least for me, much more action filled, vehicle based, and less empty than "Tribes: Ascend", and therefore more close to UT2k4 Onslaught (yes, the distances are big but you can mostly teleport directly to the front).
Of course: a 90% remake feeling is nothing I would ever want. 100% UT2k4 with just upgraded graphics? That would be boring and too much out worn gameplay for me. But it should have at least some of the original spirit of it. "Tribes: Ascend" didn't had it for me. Maybe I get some of the same excitement back when I explore PS2.

But, ahhhh..., exploring an endless stream of user made extraterrestrial SciFi maps, many of them bursting with imagination, giving you the feeling you are taking your vacation on an extraterrestrial beach, in alien underground lost civilizations ruins, in giants homes... hmmm.
Oh, and the many modded vehicles, some few even created from scratch...

Good times, I will miss them
Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Planetside 2 blows, honestly.

I've been playing it in the beta for a while and got severely disappointed. I don't really understand why some press is praising it so much. Once you got past the "wow"-effect of the massive battles, there is not much left in the game if you give it a sober review.

And honestly did that effect never even occur to me. It never made a difference to me if I am now driving with 2 allied tanks in UT or 8 allied Tanks in PS2. Or if I am fighting with 5 guys against 6 other guys in ONS or if I am fighting with 18 people in some tight corridor against 20 other guys.
They may have a few hundred players on each map per faction, but in reality it still boils down to the point that you only see so many players in a battle at a time that you don't really notice that difference, other than in vehicle spam and mindless base-zerging that leaves you thinking "why am I even playing this if I can't make much of a difference as individual player anyway and can instantly respawn right in front of the enemy base at our forwarded vehicle outpost?".
Because it really is just that: zerging. In the end does not the team with the better players win but only the team that happened to have more players at that location to throw at the enemy. Vehicles (which are not even really balanced by factions - Vanu Magriders (which have a static turret) need about 5 shots to take down a tank from the Terrain Republic, just because the Vanu advantage is that their projectiles don't suffer from falloff, whereas the TR tank can kill the Magrider in 2-3 shots) can easily farm whole groups of infantry that respawns at such a forward outpost.

And yes, literally "farm". Because everyone will do just what gives him the most points for the next unlock. Being a F2P game, you either invest a ton and ton and ton of time or money in it or you will be left behind. Maybe not so much with weapons, but vehicle upgrades like armor and performance boosts have such a huge impact but are also the most expensive ones that you probably need to play daily for several months just to specialize in piloting a single aircraft (and during that time you should not invest into anything else or it will take even longer).

There also isn't much of a metagame to it. The battles you fight feel meaningless, even less than in games like UT. Everything is persistent, yes, but you can't really secure a location. You may play great and almost capture the entire continent, but then your team logs off because it gets late in the evening and the next day the enemy took the entire continent over again with just a few guys because they happened to have more players online at night than your faction. Your entire accomplishment just vanished. Everything also has just a generic modular look to it that you can't really identify yourself with bases and think "ok, so this is the base of my faction, I really need to defend that now!".

Can't really talk about the graphics because the game currently has the worst performance I've ever seen in a game. It's CPU-bound, that means the limit is not my GPU. Whether or not I set my graphic details to maximum or minimum does not really matter because the game will run at 12-20 fps anyway as soon as it has more than 40 players in one area. Gunplay feels anything but slick that way, piloting is not even worth it because any short performance lag (from the require streaming of new parts of the map, since you obviously move faster than ground units as aircraft) can already lead to your crash.

Apropos crash: even weeks after release the game still had a bug that caused it to simply crash upon entering *anything* that had a turret associated with it. Even though that bug has been reported for months already during beta.

The only thing Planetside 2 did for me was to make me appreciate Tribes Ascend and UT2k4 again, because these two are hundred times better than Sony's fast cash grab there.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
DS[V3X]
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
There also isn't much of a metagame to it. The battles you fight feel meaningless, even less than in games like UT. Everything is persistent, yes, but you can't really secure a location. You may play great and almost capture the entire continent, but then your team logs off because it gets late in the evening and the next day the enemy took the entire continent over again with just a few guys because they happened to have more players online at night than your faction. Your entire accomplishment just vanished. Everything also has just a generic modular look to it that you can't really identify yourself with bases and think "ok, so this is the base of my faction, I really need to defend that now!".
Yea the more I read about this game, it seemed more likely this type of stalemate situation would occur. I think I'll still try it out, but not pumping any cash into it. EA already showed its true colors with their F2P games and I don't think Sony will be any different.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
IPreferQuake3
ONS Lover - UT DM Hater

I recommend to do what DS[V3X] suggested: Try it, I mean it's free, and don't put any money in it. That was the thing I wanted to do anyway. So, if it sucks for you... well... nothing lost!
Plus: I can't seem anything which is remotely interesting for me and anywhere near the classical ONS. PS2 is sadly still the closest. And: they continue to work on the game mechanics, the advantage of F2P is: If they insist of don't fixing any problems, the gamers leave, and their money with them. So F2P has an advantage (also it has of course many other disadvantages, which are well known, so there's no need to retell them all now).

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught