Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

This was really just more wondering why Carpe doesn't actually have that title of a "server admin" when he is still doing that stuff. I was not really going against you.

And giving this a shameless bump.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
This was really just more wondering why Carpe doesn't actually have that title of a "server admin" when he is still doing that stuff. I was not really going against you.

And giving this a shameless bump.
At least from my recollection, each of the following ranks implies the rest: Administrator > Moderator > Member > Server Admin
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #23
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
At least from my recollection, each of the following ranks implies the rest: Administrator > Moderator > Member > Server Admin
correctamundo.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Member is above Server Admin?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Member is above Server Admin?
DOH !

Administrator > Moderator > Server Admin > Member

Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

So, how is the mutator running?

Heinz from CEONSS reported that the mutator was really nagging on their server's performance and the tick rate would drop way too much with it, so they disabled it again.
Just wondering if Omni is doing any better.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Well, if you consider no complaints about poor performance (lag) anything, good I guess.

Players ?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Well, what hardware is Omni running?

CEONSS uses this CPU and got drops from 25 tick rate to 18 with it at "high" player numbers.
Might depend on the spamminess of the map, though. I always got elephants in my tubes on some NV maps that consist basically just of DM-styled ONS with constant projectile spam.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Well, what hardware is Omni running?
I'm not sure. I've rattled Analog's cage, he will supply spec's.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Wormbo
Wormlike

I just had a quick look at the code (only via WinRAR's View feature) - you might want to get rid of that DamageData array in favor of a data structure that is faster to look up. For JB200x Mychaeel invented a system of "tag" actors that can be attached to any actor type because it extends from Inventory. I also used it for the new hit sound mutator on CEONSS, and that one looks up damage info on every hit against players, vehicles and nodes/cores. (In other words, a very high-frequency thing that doesn't seem to cause any significant performance impact.)
Feel free to export the hit sound mutator's sources if the JDN sources don't seem to make sense to you. (Usage of e.g. JBTagPlayer is spread across the entire class tree. )
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #31
Binger

I've heard "Node Buster" a couple of times when I wasn't near a node. Could I be hearing the announcement for other players? Maybe it was the 1.5 second delay. Also not sure if I've hit 30 builds or destroys. Does it play if you get a combo of 30 between them? For instance 20 builds and 10 destroys?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #32
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

It's a mix of building and destroying. The 30 was just a guess based on normal ONS gameplay. I just felt like adding that little bonus for ONS gameplay since I had a Node Buster announcement cue without purpose in ONS and the GameRules already got notified when players complete "any" objective.
So I am just checking if an objective is completed in ONS, but there was no way to check in which way it was completed. In ONS does destroying as well as building as separate completion, so I went with that.

If you feel like the announcement is triggered too easily and too often in most matches, I can crank up the required amount, though.
I wanted to balance it on normal ONS gameplay, though. Not where a Mino is blasting all nodes in the entire map every two minutes.

As for the performance: sweet, Wormbo. Gonna take a look at that.
Though I am a bit scared of Mychaeel's obsession for proper coding with accessor functions.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #33
Wormbo
Wormlike

You could also do the look-up stuff yourself, but his code gets the job done properly already. Also, nobody forces you to use accessors in your code. The only things you need to do are described in the JBTag class comment.

Another implementation based on the same idea is the OnslaughtSpecials2.ONSSpecialReplication class. It extends Inventory directly, like JBTag, and implements this function for the lookup:
Code:
static function ONSSpecialReplication GetInstanceFor(PlayerController PC)
{
	local Inventory Inv;
	local ONSSpecialReplication OSR;

if (PC == None || PC.Player == None)
		return None;

for (Inv = PC.Inventory; Inv != None; Inv = Inv.Inventory) {
		OSR = ONSSpecialReplication(Inv);
		if (OSR != None)
			return OSR;
	}

if (PC.Role != ROLE_Authority)
		return None;

OSR = PC.Spawn(class'ONSSpecialReplication', PC);
	OSR.Inventory = PC.Inventory;
	PC.Inventory = OSR;
	OSR.Updater = class'ONSSpecialPowerLinkUpdater'.static.GetInstance(PC.Level.Game);

if (ONSPlayerReplicationInfo(PC.PlayerReplicationInfo) != None)
		ONSPlayerReplicationInfo(PC.PlayerReplicationInfo).LinkDesignerClass = string(class'ONSSpecialPowerLinkDesigner');

return OSR;
}
It's a replicated class, which I guess you don't need. Just remove all the unrelated code and keep the inventory traversal and spawning/registering part.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

I think Node Buster is somehow being linked to the damage dealt to vehicles. Every time I've gotten Node Buster, it's been either as I, or right after I, was destroying a vehicle, not building/taking down a node. Unless there's a delay in when the game gives you the announcement, which wouldn't make much sense.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
Wormbo
Wormlike

Nodes remember who damaged them. Once they are destroyed, everyone who participated gets rewarded for their share of the damage. That list is cleared when the node is destroyed or starts/finishes building. Healing a node awards directly, but the player who initially activated the node is remembered for scoring while the node is under construction.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Argh, I was about to go for an implementation with a simple Info-Actor that I add as Child to each Controller. Until I realized that foreach ChildActors and BasedActors are both as expansive in UE2 as AllActors, instead of having the dedicated arrays like in UE3. What was Epic thinking back then?

So I guess I will have to go with the InventoryTag-based approach after all.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
Wormbo
Wormlike

I can tell you what they were thinking: Do we really need two arrays per actor for those two iterators?
An empty dynamic array takes up 12 bytes, and even though dynarrays are not replicated, they do take up that same space in the serverside per-client data as well.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught