Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Drop off in players, since the balancer removed?

I've noticed since we've removed the much maligned balancer that it seems the server is much more empty than it was a few months ago.

Now maybe everyone has finally given up UT and gone to play Fortnight or something....

But I think the lack of the balancer is causing people to give up hope and creating frustration when you end up on a team against Enyo, Army, Dognuts, Xexx, and Spoon! and you've got 3%, Stormers, Tic, and 3 noobs.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
I've noticed since we've removed the much maligned balancer that it seems the server is much more empty than it was a few months ago.

Now maybe everyone has finally given up UT and gone to play Fortnight or something....

But I think the lack of the balancer is causing people to give up hope and creating frustration when you end up on a team against Enyo, Army, Dognuts, Xexx, and Spoon! and you've got 3%, Stormers, Tic, and 3 noobs.
I can see that. I've noticed that after the balancer was removed there's been a lot more instances where you can look at the teams and pretty much know who is going to win.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Not sure the balancer-removal is correlated to the drop-off.

I would not be opposed to bringing the balancer back. I didn't have a problem with it. I think any efforts to make teams fairer is a step in the right direction, however flawed it was.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Hyden
Just Registered

Personally I gave up on it as I'm not big on playing the same map for an hour at a time. No biggie though, I only visited on Fridays & Saturdays anyway!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

I cant say it was the balancer that caused me to disappear. I got tired of playing the same 7-8 maps daily and the free for all play style. There are a handful of assholes who push decent people from the server.

There are some great people left here make no mistake. But that doesnt outweigh the other issues. As an avid Omni + UT lover, Im just offering my feedback and personal take as it directly impacted my decision.

The drama in game was another factor.

Made some great friends and had a good time for a while. Thanks Omni and my very best to you all

Last edited by TotalBurn; 05-12-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Old 05-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
I cant say it was the balancer that caused me to disappear. I got tired of playing the same 7-8 maps daily and the free for all play style. There are a handful of assholes who push decent people from the server.

There are some great people left here make no mistake. But that doesnt outweigh the other issues. As an avid Omni + UT lover, Im just offering my feedback and personal take as it directly impacted my decision.

Made some great friends and had a good time for a while. Thanks Omni and my very best to you all
I was wondering what happened to you. Miss playing with you man.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Not sure the balancer-removal is correlated to the drop-off.

I would not be opposed to bringing the balancer back. I didn't have a problem with it. I think any efforts to make teams fairer is a step in the right direction, however flawed it was.
Correlation does not equal causation. I think there's a number of factors contributing to the drop-off in players, including the monotony aspect of the maps as TotalBurn pointed out. That's been much discussed with little done about it. Unfortunately, there's only 2 people I know of at the moment with the ability to update the map roster, that's Carpe and Mailbox. As we all know, Carpe doesn't play here anymore and Mailbox has been MIA for a month or two now after having been highly involved.

There's also been a lot of complaints lately of lag, high ping (despite good state-side connection), unregistered shots and generally weird shit happening. To me, the major issue is we're all playing on a server that is not maintained by anyone and there's literally nobody available to make any significant changes. This goes back to the idea of getting a new server that the community donates to in order to maintain, and naming a few new super admins that can make map roster changes, tweak settings like the tick rate and maybe even add a balancer back on if the community votes in favor of it.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post

Name em and shame those assholes! How else they gonna learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
...To me, the major issue is we're all playing on a server that is not maintained by anyone and there's literally nobody available to make any significant changes. This goes back to the idea of getting a new server that the community donates to in order to maintain, and naming a few new super admins that can make map roster changes, tweak settings like the tick rate and maybe even add a balancer back on if the community votes in favor of it.
We had a vote of participation to fund a new server, but I haven't heard anything since. Anybody know what's up with that?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Anybody know what's up with that?

Wanting to know as well.

And I agree with you TotalBurn, on the repetitive maps thing. I will say lately we've seen a bit more variety voted in. As for in game drama..its half the fun...I guess I don't let any of the bitching get to me..maybe GTKU thickened my skin.

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, there are a couple of other servers as well that are still up-- actually saw 6-8 people playing on RMD the other day.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
provert
Just Registered

I don't think it has anything to do with the balancer, I remember there being just as many unbalanced teams when it was in action. The return of Xexx and a few other players tends to coincide with the drop off, though.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Xexx hate? I guess if there's annoying players or ones that are tough to play against (like Xexx) that can be frustrating, but its also half the fun.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Xexx hate? I guess if there's annoying players or ones that are tough to play against (like Xexx) that can be frustrating, but its also half the fun.
I have no problem with Xexx, he is a one-man-team all by himself. Seen him many times keep a short-bus team alive and in the running.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Agree ^ He's a pain in the ass to play against, but good to have on your team.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
provert
Just Registered

Quote:
I didn't just point to Xexx, I mentioned him "and other players". The Ku guy for one. There are many others, I just mentioned him because I had just played against him.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught