Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #41
Dawgma
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mindkiller

My UT2004 runs ok on dual monitors. I can have UT2004 on my main monitor and TS/Vent/IRC on the second.
theyre talking about spanning 2 screens with ut, but we're all glad u Europeans can afford such nice setups :8):
at least 6 members of my clan use that setup.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #42
Pi

speaking of expensive monitor setups, our pc doubles as our dvd player and my wife wants a bigger screen (yes, i do love her). i was considering a 23 inch apple widescreen. anyone have any favorites or thoughts?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:53 AM   #43
dr.mindkiller
--- Super Nashwan ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi
speaking of expensive monitor setups, our pc doubles as our dvd player and my wife wants a bigger screen (yes, i do love her). i was considering a 23 inch apple widescreen. anyone have any favorites or thoughts?
Why not an LCD TV as a second monitor? That way you can get a bigger screen for your money as it doesn't have to be sharp enough to sit close to.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #44
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mindkiller
My UT2004 runs ok on dual monitors. I can have UT2004 on my main monitor and TS/Vent/IRC on the second.
Yes... that's what I meant. No spanning.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #45
Enalung
Getting there...

My setup is not nearly as expensive as you think. The first screen is my new monitor, an LG 1970 bought at 400$ while the other my old 3 years old CRT, all running on an Nvidia 6600that cost me 200$ at the time. It's worth about 100$ now. All for all, I guess it is a good amount of money, but it wasn't bough all at the same time hence why I could afford it.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
Goron
Master Jedi

CRT == headaches

I have a spare CRT sitting around but I don't use it for dual screen because it gives me headaches. Ever since I got my LCD, I can never to back to a CRT.

Made by Goron

Life without danger is a waste of oxygen.
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #47
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

I would use dual-screen for level design mostly...
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #48
Enalung
Getting there...

It's exactly what i do, the CRT is there so that my main display is not clogged by all the property windows when I edit a map. You just don't know how much I like having that second display when I edit a map, I will never go back to single display for map editing, ever. Otherwise, the most it really does is allow me to read a bit between each map and see who is talking on any voice chat I use. It's off my slightly off my field of view, so it dosen't bother me when I don't need it. Anyways, when I don't need it I simply change my graphic profile to single display with a quick click on the Nvidia icon in my task bar.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #49
Kyllian
bFireStyle == SS_Random

Location: In my secret lab. Overclocking nuclear hamster mines.

If I were to DS for UEd, primary would be one whole level view window and the second screen would have the properties and 2-3 additional level windows

Properties would have a quarter of the secondary all to itself to boot

BeBop: The devil, I mean Kel made me do it all.
Pandemonium: YOU ... ARE ... GOD
Benders of Cargo and Sniper, Oh fack!
Send a message via AIM to Kyllian Send a message via MSN to Kyllian Kyllian is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #50
Enalung
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel
If I were to DS for UEd, primary would be one whole level view window and the second screen would have the properties and 2-3 additional level windows

Properties would have a quarter of the secondary all to itself to boot
The static mesh / texture browser has more then 2/3 of my second screen. You need that kind of space if you want to view the biggest meshes properly. It's also useful to be able to view more textures at the same time. The property window has the other 1/3.

You seem to be thinking there's several property windows in Unreal Ed. There's actually only one property window and only one browser for actor / textures / static meshes etc. Everything is bundled in highly convenient packages. So you really have 2 main windows plus your level view which need dedicated areas. The only other tool I use enough to even consider giving a dedicated area is the texture panning. The rest dosen't need any screen space.

As far as having other level view windows on the second screen, I don't even see the use. I work with only 2 level view windows and it's more then enough. If you use them properly there should never be a need for more. 4 is overkill and gives you too little screen space in each window to work properly.

Here's a screen shot of the map I'm currently building. You can see my setup quite well.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #51
Railgun
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron
CRT == headaches

I have a spare CRT sitting around but I don't use it for dual screen because it gives me headaches. Ever since I got my LCD, I can never to back to a CRT.
What refresh rate would you use? I too would get headaches but only if I'd run it at 60Hz (for who knows what reason). 85+ Hz usually takes care of that.
Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun Railgun is offline  
Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #52
Goron
Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
CRT == headaches

What refresh rate would you use? I too would get headaches but only if I'd run it at 60Hz (for who knows what reason). 85+ Hz usually takes care of that.
refresh rates never made a big difference.

Made by Goron

Old 10-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #53
Enalung
Getting there...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
CRT == headaches

I can't bear to use a CRT with a refresh rate of 60 hz, but when it gets around 85 I usually can't see it skipping anymore.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #54
Pi

Quote:
it depends on the person, some people are sensitive to that and others arn't. I for one dont see any difference, but i do know people who get pretty terrible headaches,
Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #55
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Funny - i have the opposite reaction than most poeple. I PREFER CRTs because I actually get headaches from LCD screens. I can't use my laptop or some of the computers at my office for very long before the LCD screen starts giving me a headache. On the other hand, I almost never get a headache from my work/home CRTs which I believe are somewhere around 70-75Hz refresh rate.

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 10-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #56
Goron
Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_P-Fat
Funny - i have the opposite reaction than most poeple. I PREFER CRTs because I actually get headaches from LCD screens. I can't use my laptop or some of the computers at my office for very long before the LCD screen starts giving me a headache. On the other hand, I almost never get a headache from my work/home CRTs which I believe are somewhere around 70-75Hz refresh rate.
my g/f has the same problem, she gets headaches from the LCD. Maybe its the backlight

Made by Goron

Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #57
Butcher
Tonight......you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_P-Fat
Your fucked up

Anyway if i get a new computer i will keep this screen for a while because i can't aford to renew everything at once, after that i will get a nice 20inch monitor and use this 17 as a dual screen, that way vent on one screen + IM game on the other (just to see whos online) and the other for gaming, or in photoshop, LOTS of tools on one side and the canvas on the other, i want that so much

COD4 GLITCHES + EXPLOITS
Quote:
)o(Rupert: for the most part I make them rape each other then steal their babies

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament