Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Default Deleted UT Today...

Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I dont imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...

It's been great jamming on this server with you all for the past few years. It's a good hang and I may chime in on the forums from time to time. I'm still on the facebook group so in the event this server ends we can still stay in touch. Sucks to see a server die, the old UMG crew is long gone and it'd bum me out to have the rest of you disappear into the void of internet screen names and handles like the others. I think this server will be the final holdout though.

I've just gotten to the point where I've racked up enough hours on this game where I'd like to dump that time into something else. Being self-employed there's always that pressure to spend your time better. And while everyone needs their thing to do while relaxing, I don't want mine to be this anymore. I have a few work projects I want to hit hard this spring and summer and I need to keep pushing my playing to the next level.

Thanks again to you all for the years of good matches. I won't be able to say bye to any of the folks in-game but I think most of the cool people are already on the forums or the FB group. Adios the best friggin game I've ever played!

-A
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Enyo
Getting there...

Been great playing with you bud. You're one of the best teammates to have on this server and it stinks to see you go...

BUT, I do understand, I've contemplated doing the same at times (though I prob won't - I'm too much of a UT addict). I think you're doing the right thing though. I watched a few of your videos and you're obviously very passionate about what you do and you're a HELL of a drummer. Pouring your time and effort into what you love is never a bad decision. Best of luck to you and make sure to stop by from time to time just to say hey or post some more music vids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I don't imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...
Hopefully it's just a break, even if a long one. I wouldn't be too surprised if this game's got a few years left in it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
dognuts
Just Registered

All the best to you buddy. It's never good to lose a player like you. Enjoy your time away and definitely stop by to say hello.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

I wish you well my friend! Im also self employed and have about 4 hours free time each evening. So I can relate on that point. I think our paths will cross again one day. Until then, take care my man

Last edited by TotalBurn; 02-21-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
I wish you well my friend! Im also self employed and have about 4 hours free time each evening. So I can relate on that point. I think our paths will cross again one day. Until then, take care my man
It's interesting... I was looking at the omni facebook page earlier and realized that A LOT of our long-time members are self-employed. Seems there's some like-mindedness going on here?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

Yeah I think you are right. Im off Sundays and federal holidays. No vacations. If the postal service is open/operating then Im working.

Last edited by TotalBurn; 02-21-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

What do you do TotalBurn? Thought I saw something on your FB page about a vape shop?

Maybe we should start a thread about the different self employed businesses we’re all in... some of us could possibly benefit one another.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 AM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Thanks dognuts and totalburn. Always glad to see you guys in the game. I'm sure I'll be in there again someday.

Thanks enyo and good idea on the other thread. Also thanks for checking out some of my music.

Yeah I agree with you I think it's kind of an addiction thing. I'm sure anyone from the outside looking in would say "of course it is". I just go back and forth on what counts as winding down for the evening. All my friends talk about all the hours they spend on Netflix. I hardly watch any movies/TV so this was my thing. But then I tell myself "no, you damn idiot, music is your thing... it's your friggin job"

I remember reading a louis CK interview where he mentioned how he doesn't spend much time on social media as he thought he was "neither being productive nor resting" while using them. I kind of started to think of it that way. Combined with my UT stat hours I realize I'm spending so much time on here when there are other things I need to improve upon instead. I'm big on the Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers 10,000 hour theory.

UT2004 really is awesome though. Playing a good game with good players (and making enemies ragequit) has been a ton of fun. I just apparently am unable to limit it to once a week or something like that.

Even having it not an option for the last couple nights has been interesting. The impulse to hop on and see who's playing. But also not staying up wayyy late (especially if I was on the Monster Evolution server, those maps take an average 2 hours each). I've already made better use of my time doing other things.

This year has been my trying to cut unproductive things out of my calendar and this week I decided UT needs to go next.

But then do I let that American "If you're not producing then your existence is worthless" mentality win? What's wrong with just enjoying the moment?

Anyway, just rambling random thoughts. The kicker for me was looking at all that time in hindsight and thinking if I had spent that on other things I might be more satisfied. That being said this server is still awesome and I've had a great time.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
What do you do TotalBurn? Thought I saw something on your FB page about a vape shop?

Maybe we should start a thread about the different self employed businesses we’re all in... some of us could possibly benefit one another.
Yeah would be cool to start a thread like that... I do run a vape business. Im making ejuice while my partner handles the more administrative aspects. Started back in 2012. Couldnt find anything I liked to vape and was tired of the premade imported stuff. I wont lie. My stuff isnt low cost, but its the best ingredients available made fresh to order. Freshness and quality is what I built on and Ive found a niche place in the industry. Wish I had more free time but theres a trade off to being your own boss.

Quote:
The kicker for me was looking at all that time in hindsight and thinking if I had spent that on other things I might be more satisfied. That being said this server is still awesome and I've had a great time.
Man the last year I have been feeling that way. But not so much because of UT. My life is so much work and dancing around a strict schedule/routine that I cant fit in the things I really want to do. Sometimes I am really content to sit back, sip on coffee and watch a good match.

Different situations maybe but the feelings and reflecting are similar.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
BoFox
Getting there...

Sad to see you go, YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The last time I saw you in the game, you did really great. Sometimes I go for months without playing, and I could see some serious improvements with all of you guys. It was much harder for me to kill you guys!

I hope you come back and keep upping the challenge for all of us! To see, and to feel progress makes it all that more intriguing for me - and for everybody else, I would hope.

Enyo also made some impressive progress over the years. Way to go, guys.

It's not that hard re-installing the game, I think. Just keep it limited to say, 1 hour, or 45 minutes a day - or even the weekends only, if it's possible?? If getting carried away with playing is too much of a problem like it is with me (sometimes I just lose count of the hours I spend playing), then I understand. Best wishes for y'all.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #11
BoFox
Getting there...

Quote:
But then do I let that American "If you're not producing then your existence is worthless" mentality win? What's wrong with just enjoying the moment?

Anyway, just rambling random thoughts. The kicker for me was looking at all that time in hindsight and thinking if I had spent that on other things I might be more satisfied. That being said this server is still awesome and I've had a great time.
It's only life. Life is so short anyways. You do as you wish. You are entertaining others in the game by competing with them, or playing as a teammate - just as an actor/actress aims to entertain others (with the bonus that you're entertaining yourself at the same time). We could look at it as a friendly hangout thing - instead of going to bars and playing the game of pool, we're playing a much more intense firefight game with each other. If there are better cups of tea for you out there, then definitely go for it!! The American mentality is mostly geared towards turning people into "worker-slaves" of corporate capitalism - of course these worker-slaves want others to do the same 40+ hour/week hard work with little vacation so that they don't feel like life is so unfair for them, AND the rich want us to be productive workers that serve the corporate-capitalism model that made them so rich in the first place.

The 10,000 hour self-improvement idea is intriguing for me... finding out what you're good at and then putting 10k hours into it and use it to serve others. Not such a bad idea after all, but the slippery slope is to not be too hard on yourself or you'd give up or go back to lesser habits, etc.. I guess I need to do the same thing as well but I usually slip back into lesser habits or get carried away. Am I just a pawn of circumstance, or a master of my destiny? Perhaps we are equally both - just as there is day and night, light and darkness. So, I'm not being too hard on myself, unlike in the past when I was easily discouraged by what others were thinking of me. Birds of the sky do not need to worry about plowing, sowing, and tending the fields (I wonder if you know where this is coming from, LOL hehe..) Maybe you're just a free man, like Michelangelo or Raphael or Donatello painters/ninja turtles, or a Baron/Lord/King in the metaphysical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
Yeah would be cool to start a thread like that... I do run a vape business. Im making ejuice while my partner handles the more administrative aspects. Started back in 2012. Couldnt find anything I liked to vape and was tired of the premade imported stuff. I wont lie. My stuff isnt low cost, but its the best ingredients available made fresh to order. Freshness and quality is what I built on and Ive found a niche place in the industry. Wish I had more free time but theres a trade off to being your own boss.

Man the last year I have been feeling that way. But not so much because of UT. My life is so much work and dancing around a strict schedule/routine that I cant fit in the things I really want to do. Sometimes I am really content to sit back, sip on coffee and watch a good match.

Different situations maybe but the feelings and reflecting are similar.
Wow!!!! That is amazing!!! I'd be interested in reading your thread on that, if you do start one. What about Enyo - what ya do (just curious)..?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Realizing I can't catch everyone on the forums. If found:

Binger - great playing with you man. Thanks for all your work with editing too... keeping things fresh.
Blackwood - Torlan is the best map
BlownUp - Hey BU great playing with you on the Evo server too. Be sure to tell all those guys I'll catch them later, I don't go on the DW forums
Brotherincombat - Thanks for sharing the maps! Wish I could have had a chance to play them... never a good time to quit i guess
Bubba Fart - Great playing with you, good to have someone rallying the team
Colbye - Colbye see you on YouTube
Dimshade - Great playing dim... I won't miss the frustration of getting sniped by you
Ebno - Awesome playing Ebno
Fuzzyslippers - See you later Fuzz, cool to have people who are always positive on the server
GuyThatKillsU - I will reinstall if there's a 2nd coming of GTKU
HowlinMad - Old school UMG guy, great playing with you
Hyden- HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
JohnSmallBerries - See ya Mr. Berries. It's been good company
Jrambo - Jrambo you're the man!
Lagzilla - See you lag, nice playing with you and also thanks for map/vehicle editing
McLovin - drill sarge from Full Metal Jacket. See you down the road
Nomad - Been playing silently along side you almost since this game came out. Whoever you are..
Slothy - See you Slothy... always a good hang
Stormers1957 - AWWWW5DDDD5555 5 5 d d d ddddd
Xexx - Great playing with you xexx. You seem to know every last weakness and every hidden angle
Yamashita - F/F defense god. Always happy to see you on the server
Bofox- the silent killer always at or near the top!

I dont know who I'm missing

Last edited by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH; 02-25-2019 at 12:59 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #13
BoFox
Getting there...

What?? You didn't like me?? You're not missing me at all?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #14
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
What?? You didn't like me?? You're not missing me at all?
Sorry man I thought I replied earlier! Edited
Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
BoFox
Getting there...

Haha, all the best wishes for you, comrade!

I'm gonna try to overclock my PC again. It's an ancient first generation Intel Core i7 920. Motherboard's been acting up lately, so I went back from 3.7 GHz to default 2.66 GHz, but I think the memory is only running at 1066MHz instead of 1600Mhz and that is severely bottlenecking the frame rate. Turns out, it's the hard drive AHCI (SMART functions) that stopped working on the mobo, after all.. (switched to IDE mode in the BIOS, and it's fine now).

The frame rate starts hitching a lot, dipping below 20fps especially when the server starts filling up with players. I wish the game were multi-threaded instead of only using one logical core, so that it wouldn't be so bottlenecked by the CPU. Video card is a healthy Geforce GTX 760 - enough for 4K with 4x AA at probably the same CPU-bottlenecked frame rate.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #16
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I dont imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...

-A
I feel you man. I have divorced this bitch several times, but like the prodigal son, I show up after 6 months or so I only play on the weekends now. Wish you all the best dude
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
BoFox
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sarge View Post
I feel you man. I have divorced this bitch several times, but like the prodigal son, I show up after 6 months or so I only play on the weekends now. Wish you all the best dude
How dare you call this game a bitch?!? It's too good to be called the b-word! I've never wanted to quit this game - the reason for the frequent hiatus is that we go out on lengthy vacations even during the holidays. I have been taking my wife and kids to Florida every summer, for about 2 months, and then go on a camping trip for the rest of the summer. Last summer, it was Maine... nice, like a breath of fresh air. Then sometimes it takes a month or 2 for me to remember how awesome this game is and get hooked all over again. Treat it like the perfect wife, and you'll never tire of her - just don't deplete all of yourself at once.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Yeaa step bye from time to time and post your stuff. Nice videos btw.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #19
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Oh sure we put Stock Torlan on the map and then you leave?!!

Seriously though good luck...it doesn't hurt to take a break, but you might just find out that you miss it a little bit.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #20
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Thanks Miauz! Good playing with you.

And thanks pooty! Yeah I feel bad ditching poor Torlan.

Sarge thanks for the words and yeah man as lame as it sounds, I wish I had your self control to keep it on the weekends.

Even though its only been a few weeks my productivity has gone up bigtime. I certainly won't be reinstalling anytime soon as I have a ton of projects to work on for the next few months. Definitely missing though at times. Maybe later in the summer/fall I'll see what's going on.

In all honesty though I dont know how re-installing would work for me. It was a pain to install the first time and I had to do a workaround with a torrented Mac version of the game plus a PC cd key from a physical copy my friend gave me. Steam doesn't work with OS 10.6 so this was my only option, and I dont know if I'm even remembering that correctly. Oh well I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament