Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Default Deleted UT Today...

Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I dont imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...

It's been great jamming on this server with you all for the past few years. It's a good hang and I may chime in on the forums from time to time. I'm still on the facebook group so in the event this server ends we can still stay in touch. Sucks to see a server die, the old UMG crew is long gone and it'd bum me out to have the rest of you disappear into the void of internet screen names and handles like the others. I think this server will be the final holdout though.

I've just gotten to the point where I've racked up enough hours on this game where I'd like to dump that time into something else. Being self-employed there's always that pressure to spend your time better. And while everyone needs their thing to do while relaxing, I don't want mine to be this anymore. I have a few work projects I want to hit hard this spring and summer and I need to keep pushing my playing to the next level.

Thanks again to you all for the years of good matches. I won't be able to say bye to any of the folks in-game but I think most of the cool people are already on the forums or the FB group. Adios the best friggin game I've ever played!

-A
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Enyo
Getting there...

Been great playing with you bud. You're one of the best teammates to have on this server and it stinks to see you go...

BUT, I do understand, I've contemplated doing the same at times (though I prob won't - I'm too much of a UT addict). I think you're doing the right thing though. I watched a few of your videos and you're obviously very passionate about what you do and you're a HELL of a drummer. Pouring your time and effort into what you love is never a bad decision. Best of luck to you and make sure to stop by from time to time just to say hey or post some more music vids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I don't imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...
Hopefully it's just a break, even if a long one. I wouldn't be too surprised if this game's got a few years left in it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
dognuts
Just Registered

All the best to you buddy. It's never good to lose a player like you. Enjoy your time away and definitely stop by to say hello.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

I wish you well my friend! Im also self employed and have about 4 hours free time each evening. So I can relate on that point. I think our paths will cross again one day. Until then, take care my man

Last edited by TotalBurn; 02-21-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
I wish you well my friend! Im also self employed and have about 4 hours free time each evening. So I can relate on that point. I think our paths will cross again one day. Until then, take care my man
It's interesting... I was looking at the omni facebook page earlier and realized that A LOT of our long-time members are self-employed. Seems there's some like-mindedness going on here?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

Yeah I think you are right. Im off Sundays and federal holidays. No vacations. If the postal service is open/operating then Im working.

Last edited by TotalBurn; 02-21-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

What do you do TotalBurn? Thought I saw something on your FB page about a vape shop?

Maybe we should start a thread about the different self employed businesses we’re all in... some of us could possibly benefit one another.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Sad to see you go, YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The last time I saw you in the game, you did really great. Sometimes I go for months without playing, and I could see some serious improvements with all of you guys. It was much harder for me to kill you guys!

I hope you come back and keep upping the challenge for all of us! To see, and to feel progress makes it all that more intriguing for me - and for everybody else, I would hope.

Enyo also made some impressive progress over the years. Way to go, guys.

It's not that hard re-installing the game, I think. Just keep it limited to say, 1 hour, or 45 minutes a day - or even the weekends only, if it's possible?? If getting carried away with playing is too much of a problem like it is with me (sometimes I just lose count of the hours I spend playing), then I understand. Best wishes for y'all.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

What?? You didn't like me?? You're not missing me at all?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #10
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
What?? You didn't like me?? You're not missing me at all?
Sorry man I thought I replied earlier! Edited
Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Haha, all the best wishes for you, comrade!

I'm gonna try to overclock my PC again. It's an ancient first generation Intel Core i7 920. Motherboard's been acting up lately, so I went back from 3.7 GHz to default 2.66 GHz, but I think the memory is only running at 1066MHz instead of 1600Mhz and that is severely bottlenecking the frame rate. Turns out, it's the hard drive AHCI (SMART functions) that stopped working on the mobo, after all.. (switched to IDE mode in the BIOS, and it's fine now).

The frame rate starts hitching a lot, dipping below 20fps especially when the server starts filling up with players. I wish the game were multi-threaded instead of only using one logical core, so that it wouldn't be so bottlenecked by the CPU. Video card is a healthy Geforce GTX 760 - enough for 4K with 4x AA at probably the same CPU-bottlenecked frame rate.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Decided to take a break. Or quit, not sure. Isn't that what people quitting smoking always say? Re-installing on my current computer is sort of a pain so I dont imagine I'll be back any time soon. The last break I took was a couple years, I'm not totally sure ut2004 will last that much longer...

-A
I feel you man. I have divorced this bitch several times, but like the prodigal son, I show up after 6 months or so I only play on the weekends now. Wish you all the best dude
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sarge View Post
I feel you man. I have divorced this bitch several times, but like the prodigal son, I show up after 6 months or so I only play on the weekends now. Wish you all the best dude
How dare you call this game a bitch?!? It's too good to be called the b-word! I've never wanted to quit this game - the reason for the frequent hiatus is that we go out on lengthy vacations even during the holidays. I have been taking my wife and kids to Florida every summer, for about 2 months, and then go on a camping trip for the rest of the summer. Last summer, it was Maine... nice, like a breath of fresh air. Then sometimes it takes a month or 2 for me to remember how awesome this game is and get hooked all over again. Treat it like the perfect wife, and you'll never tire of her - just don't deplete all of yourself at once.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Yeaa step bye from time to time and post your stuff. Nice videos btw.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Oh sure we put Stock Torlan on the map and then you leave?!!

Seriously though good luck...it doesn't hurt to take a break, but you might just find out that you miss it a little bit.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #16
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Thanks Miauz! Good playing with you.

And thanks pooty! Yeah I feel bad ditching poor Torlan.

Sarge thanks for the words and yeah man as lame as it sounds, I wish I had your self control to keep it on the weekends.

Even though its only been a few weeks my productivity has gone up bigtime. I certainly won't be reinstalling anytime soon as I have a ton of projects to work on for the next few months. Definitely missing though at times. Maybe later in the summer/fall I'll see what's going on.

In all honesty though I dont know how re-installing would work for me. It was a pain to install the first time and I had to do a workaround with a torrented Mac version of the game plus a PC cd key from a physical copy my friend gave me. Steam doesn't work with OS 10.6 so this was my only option, and I dont know if I'm even remembering that correctly. Oh well I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
Howlin_Mad
Just Registered

Well Yeah,

It's been a long time. I took a long break after my son was born and maybe that's all you need for now is a break. No matter what happens in the future, I just want to say that it has been an honor and a privilege to have spent as much time together as we have. I wish you all of the best and more. As you had implied, for a game from 2004, Unreal has lasted probably longer than even the original writers had projected. As for me, I will still put in some hours now and then as time permits. Probably until the servers are removed. I hope that one day we might look forward to another match together. Best regards and always best wishes. HM
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
Binger

Sorry to see you go, dude. Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #19
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Sorry to see you go, dude. Hope everything goes well for you.
Thanks Binger. Things are good for the most part, just overwhelmingly busy. Luckly that's all!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #20
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin_Mad View Post
Well Yeah,

It's been a long time. I took a long break after my son was born and maybe that's all you need for now is a break. No matter what happens in the future, I just want to say that it has been an honor and a privilege to have spent as much time together as we have. I wish you all of the best and more. As you had implied, for a game from 2004, Unreal has lasted probably longer than even the original writers had projected. As for me, I will still put in some hours now and then as time permits. Probably until the servers are removed. I hope that one day we might look forward to another match together. Best regards and always best wishes. HM
Thanks howlin! Yeah crazy how that works... meet random people behind screen names and interact for years...

And right back at you with all those nice things! Yeah I remember distinctly thinking "hmm howlin is back from a long break" and glad to see a consistently good dude back in the game.

We'll cross paths again I'm sure. I even found this forum once looking for long lost UMG folks... where there's a will there's a way I guess
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-you-out-there
I'll still be combing through these forums for a while at least.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament