Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Default Where are your locations like this?

Three of us managed this the other night. The shield tank that pushes the levi up the hill then becomes a blocker making the duo very difficult to stop.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Other spots I can think of:

PPC able to hit 8/9 in Minus from alley between buildings near crane, can shoot side of building to take out flyers trying to stop you

Turret tank on hill near secondary nodes on Desert Junkyard. I don't do this one myself but some people are super good at it.

Ion Tank in TAL... go down the tunnel like a usual attack but take the left side of the node instead of the right. Spam the chain link fence next to where their tanks spawn. From here you can control what you hit.
-Left side of fence hits the core with splash damage
-Center face of fence kills spawning enemies
-Right of fence is the wall behind the spawning tanks
Anything coming down the ramp you can easily kill, and nobody can shoot you from the vent up top. You have a clear shot of most people coming at you.

Ion Tank in MasterBath, use 1st person view to get the extra angle to shoot the tub

Shield tank in TAL... while defending upper primary nodes, use 1st person to get right angle to shoot people who are trying to spam link shots from the vents

I think we all know about mino positioning in Minus

I've seen some of you use spots like this.... being able to shoot nodes all the way across AlienHop. What landmarks are you using to line up your shot?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

Ion on TAL... I always go the left side first and spam the core until my team builds the node, then shift to the right side to get a more direct hit on the core. Also, as you head dow the tunnel, if the enemy ion is on the ramp behind the primary, you can stop under the middle node 5, go up the right side ramp just a tad, and you can see a very small sliver between the corner of the wall in front of you and the wall around the primary node where you can shoot the ramp and kill the other ion or at least damage and back it off.

On Alienhop with the mino, you can get on the small hill right behind the left primary (where the goo tank spawns) and shoot the 5/7 primary across the map. You can't see it straight on, but you can in peripheral view, meaning if you look straight ahead at about 90 degrees to the right of where the node is, you can see further in your left peripheral and get a bead on the node's direction. Then, turn back and fire... sometimes it takes an adjustment shot or two, but you know you have it when you get that buzzer sound when hitting a locked node.

A lot of players don't know that you actually can see further through the fog in your peripheral than straight on. It's just a matter of referencing landmark when you aim back at your target to line up the shot. I do the same thing on Dria on the hill between 10 and 9 and above 1, you can turn to see node 8, then turn back to shoot. Even though you can't see it straight on, you generally know where it is. After a while, you just get used to where to shoot based on landmark references.

That tactic is the number one reason I get comments like "Enyo seeing thru the fog again." It definitely isn't because I have some fog or radar hack. I play on a Mac and I don't think you could even find hacks for the Mac version. Why would anyone bother coding hacks for an OS that's on less than 10% of the world's computers, and even less than that are used for gaming?

Another good spot, but requires teamwork, is hiding the deemer tank behind node 2 on Djunk. it only works at node 2 (I think, could be 1) where there's a little hill behind the node with a blocking volume on it. If you can get a badger or Aegis to help push the deemer tank up it, it's a great hiding spot because you're almost completely covered from the view of flyers. The best thing to do witht the deemer tank on Djunk though is to put it against the hill and junk in the core and have the turtle protect it. I would be amazed more teams don't do this, but good teamwork on the server these days is sparse.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Forgot to say, that's a pretty damn creative spot to put the Levi on Nevermore. Termi would be proud.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
A lot of players don't know that you actually can see further through the fog in your peripheral than straight on.

Yes that is true...and just makes me wonder how anyone DOESN'T know this.

Quote:
but good teamwork on the server these days is sparse.

Even more true...and its very nice to see when good teamwork wins out over a team with a couple of "better" players. And I'll also say that poor teamwork, especially poor use of good vehicles, and can really hurt a team.

I am surprised that more people don't try to get vehicles like Deemer Tank, Kraken/Levis into more spots like that. I think though most of the maps we play pretty much stop that sort of thing. Part of the reason I'm all for new (to the server) maps is the fun of finding places like the Levi on the hill...
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
It's funny how after so long playing this game that there are people that still play like total noobs. Great example, last night on Dria I watched Toosweet, who's been playing on OMNI for the last several years, continually fire hurricane rockets at flyers for about 3 minutes and never once actually hit anything. He never bothered to switch gunner seats and use the lasers. And that's just one of the many times I spec'd this idiot in amazement how someone can be so bad after literally hundreds of played hours.

Another good one... just a few months ago, late 2019, Gl@ssEye (another longtime player) argued against going after 2 points on Djunk because he thought you had to capture ALL the nodes to unlock the core and not just one primary. How in the world does anyone come to that conclusion after playing the game for so long? Not making this up, ask him next time you see him, he'll freely admit it.

Only thing that makes sense to me as to how these things happen while good players continue to learn and improve is a WIDELY varying range of intelligence.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post

Even more true...and its very nice to see when good teamwork wins out over a team with a couple of "better" players. And I'll also say that poor teamwork, especially poor use of good vehicles, and can really hurt a team.

I am surprised that more people don't try to get vehicles like Deemer Tank, Kraken/Levis into more spots like that. I think though most of the maps we play pretty much stop that sort of thing. Part of the reason I'm all for new (to the server) maps is the fun of finding places like the Levi on the hill...
Yes the "fog hack" by just turning your view should be a pretty easy one for people to understand. Same with seeing around corners and getting accused of "radar". Most of these complaints seem to be coming from one person anyway.

And yeah the teamwork thing, it's amazing how effective a triple link is on anything and how it's still a rarity.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught