Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Dependencies...

So my new map edits still have a dependency on WVBanshee.u (I am pretty sure I am using some items from that package in my updated edit for PVWraith.u).

I don't believe the WVBanshee.u is loaded as 'myLevel' meaning its still referenced as an external system file (.u).

Since this file is already on the server (and redirect) for other maps, is it best practice to just reference it there, or should I load it into my map (load obj file=somefile.u package=myLevel)?
Old 03-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

If it's on the server, make it as dep. If it's from a fishy site or/and not on the server, make it myLevel.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Binger

What Miauz said.

If you were to myLevel every custom asset needed by your map then players could play it offline without needing any other files but this makes the map file bigger. No biggy now days though. If you don't care about people playing the map offline then best practice is to not embed anything that is on the server's redirect since the server will detect what files the client needs and load it in their cache. Not embedding files but including all custom files in the download is good practice but it can be a little tricky figuring out what files to include.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Yes, thanks for the replies. Kind of what I figured...I can see back in the day worrying about a 50MB map, but today doesn't matter. It seems like UT is pretty tolerant of version(s) as long as the package names are different.

I've got the UT Deps app that helps.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:43 AM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

In case you need myLevel directions... Binger sent me this years ago:
If you want to embed the file in the map then add "package=myLevel" to the end of the text you enter in the Command Field. For example "obj load file=OnslaughtSpecials2.u package=myLevel". Open the Log Window and you should see "Cmd: obj load file=OnslaughtSpecials2.u package=myLevel" followed by "Log: New File, Existing Package (Package myLevel, Package OnslaughtSpecials2)". If you don't see the second line then do it again. I usually have to do this twice but people say that once you get that second line to make sure you don't do it again. In other words, never myLevel the same thing twice, but if you don't see that second line then it wasn't myLeveled. Again you may have to un-check then re-check "Placeable classes Only" to see the new stuff in the Actor browser.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Ok, so this might be a more complex, subtle distinction.

When I created my new Vehicle, I just used a bunch of Banshee classes (eg. BansheeBeamEffectClass.us (extends emitter)) and such. I figured why redo/rename all those files if I was just going to keep them the same or just change the default values in vehicle factory script.

However, it seems that UT keeps the higher level dependency... So even though I obj load wvbanshee.u (and get the message as Lag states above), it always shows as a dependency in UTDeps (verified the hard way by removing WVBanshee.u from the system directory).

Its almost like UT won't really load the whole .u into mylevel if that top class isn't used (there's no Banshees on the map). Its also interesting because THERE was banshees on the map with no external Dependency (the nevermore that's on the server now). Its like since I am using a subclass inside WVBanshee it only works with an external dependency....and not with mylevel. I don't think that WVBanshee.u is on the server actually becuase the Nevermore version doesn't show it as a dependency [Neither does the full vehicle loadout map]..which is why my maps are failing to load on the server....
If I remove my new vehicle, and replace it with Banshee the dep goes away. if I add a banshee with my vehicle Wraith on the map UT keeps the external dependency.

I guess the alternative is to rename all the classes/files BansheeBeamEffectClass.u to WraithBeamEffectClass.u but they are unchanged from the original, which somehow offends my OO programming (by blatantly copying a class that's unchanged), but I can't figure out how to get wvbanshee.u to load into mylevel and remove the dependency. (I am not worried about size...having extra banshee code is only like 1.2 MB).

It does seem like I need to rename a bunch of stuff so that UT doesn't keep the external dependency..its like it can't use subclasses in the WVBanshee.u. There might be some issue though with the obj load. Package mylevel.BansheeBeamEffect WOULD be a different class(but same code) than WVBanshee.BansheeBeamEffect which is likely the issue..I guess I'll dig through the code and see..

If anyone has any insight or hints, it'd be appreciated.

Last edited by {glr}pooty; 03-15-2020 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Tested vehicles in the map
Old 03-16-2020, 03:01 AM   #7
Binger

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. It's been awhile since I modified the Goliath. I only learned what I needed to at the time and it was all new to me. I'll try though.

My only guess, which I think is wrong, is that your main class is not an extension of the banshee but is trying to reference classes from the banshee. I don't think that will work but it also seems like you should get an error when compiling.

My main GoliathII class was an extension of the Goliath (class GoliathIIa extends ONSHoverTank). I only copied the classes I wanted to change but if Iirc that was actually all the classes.

If you upload the classes for your vehicle I will take a look.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. It's all a bit hazy.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

http://stormdrake.com/utmaps/PVWraith.zip

Here's the source.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Binger

Wow, that's a lot of classes.

I only just opened it but the first thing I notice is (class Wraith extends ONSDualAttackCraft). That's what I was talking about. If you extend from Banshee instead of Cicada then I think you would only need the classes you want to change, but all the Banshee files would be have to be on the user's computer for it to work. I'm pretty sure that your vehicle file has no way of accessing classes inside of the Banshee vehicle file. If it were me I would include all classes so that it could work on a stock install. It's only text so it shouldn't be that large. You should be able to use all other existing Banshee files like sounds and textures but they ofc would need to already be on the user's computer so you would have to make sure they are on the redirect or myLevel everything.

I'll check it out some more and reread your post to see if I can figure out what's happening. If you don't get it worked out then upload the Banshee classes also so I can compare.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
Binger

A quick note.

DriverWeapons(0)=(WeaponClass=Class'PVWraith.Wrait hSideGun')
RanOverDamageType=Class'WVBanshee.DamTypeBansheeRo adkill'

The first line will look for a class that you included with your file.
The second line is looking for a class from another file. I think you will need to change all references from WVBanshee to PVWraith then make sure you include those classes in your folder.

I'm surprised you didn't get an error from this when compiling.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Thanks.

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't get an error from this when compiling.
Probably because I have the WVBanshee source as well on my system.

I will try redoing the classes....got time since we're still figuring the redirect.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
Binger

Apparently a compiled asset file can access class files from another compiled asset file even though they are not on the same branch. Weird. Idk much about coding but I would think there would need to be some sort of casting type thing for this to happen.

When renaming references from WVBanshee to PVWraith be careful if using a "replace all" type function. There might be places where WVBanshee appears in the code that is not for the asset name. I ran into that with the GolitahII.

I was thinking that all the mesh, anim, texture, and sound files for the Banshee where packaged into their own asset files because I have some Banshee files like that. Those files, though, are for a remake of the Halo Banshee for UT. I don't know how it works when a class imports things like textures (#exec audio import File=Sounds\BansheeEngine.wav). Do those files get loaded into the asset file? Might be best to make separate assets for all those sound and texture files you have.

Just curious. Where did you get the Banshee files from? Did you extract them from a map or use the download from Wormbo?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
Binger

In case you are interested in creating packages for the textures and sounds. I was just experimenting to see how to do that without creating new packages from the individual files since they have Combiners in them. From a map that has the Banshee in it you can save the WVBanshee texture and sound packages. I'm guessing since you already have the individual files that you exported them from the asset browser but I thought I would mention that you can save the packages.

If Turbo made any changes these might be different from what's in the map (nevermore?) that you got them from since I did this with the file from Wormbo's download link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rhthb4obt...El4yuF7ka?dl=0
Old 03-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #14
Enyo
Getting there...

Binger, thanks a ton for jumping in and helping out new mappers/modders. There are so few left and willing, I really appreciate you spending your free time to help out. Do you have any advice on how to get a new redirect hooked up? Analog has the keys to the gaming server, but not the redirect. We need to move it.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:30 PM   #15
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Binger, thanks a ton for jumping in and helping out new mappers/modders. There are so few left and willing, I really appreciate you spending your free time to help out. Do you have any advice on how to get a new redirect hooked up? Analog has the keys to the gaming server, but not the redirect. We need to move it.
You're Welcome. It's been fun thinking about this stuff again.

I have no idea how to set up a redirect. I would have to look that up. Maybe ask CEONSS crew. Probably not very difficult but I imagine figuring out what files are needed without access to the old redirect would be very time consuming. Where would you even start? Run a dependency check on every map? It would need to be a stock install to filter the missing files. I probably have most of the needed files so if there is something that can't be found let me know.

Edit: Can the redirect be viewed from a browser with the URL? That would show all the files on it right?
Old 03-17-2020, 02:08 AM   #16
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
You're Welcome. It's been fun thinking about this stuff again.

I have no idea how to set up a redirect. I would have to look that up. Maybe ask CEONSS crew. Probably not very difficult but I imagine figuring out what files are needed without access to the old redirect would be very time consuming. Where would you even start? Run a dependency check on every map? It would need to be a stock install to filter the missing files. I probably have most of the needed files so if there is something that can't be found let me know.

Edit: Can the redirect be viewed from a browser with the URL? That would show all the files on it right?
In our case it is a separate server that we rent. We upload the files the same way we would to the CEONSS server, except we are using compressed files (.uz2) on the redirect. It is possible to connect to it via a browser and check which files already have been uploaded.

As for which files to upload to make sure you have all the dependencies... assuming you have all of them on OMNI the game server, you can redownload them to your pc, convert them to .uz2 files, and upload them to your redirect. That is what I had to do when our redirect's OS had to be reinstalled last year and I wasn't sure if I had all the files on my pc.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #17
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
...assuming you have all of them on OMNI the game server...
Doh! I didn't think of the obvious fact that all the files on the redirect would also be on the game server. Brain fart.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Where did you get the Banshee files from? Did you extract them from a map or use the download from Wormbo?

Extracted them from Nevermore with the ucc command.

I think to do the redirect you just need to set up the URL on the UT server to point to an external webserver: https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28971

I believe the issue is we currently don't have access to that webserver to put new files on there...its a manual sync between the UT server and the webserver..meaning someone has to manually move all the desired files (maps, system .u files etc) to the redirect webserver.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #19
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Might be best to make separate assets for all those sound and texture files you have.
Actually both packages are each the same size as the vehicle file when the textures and sounds are left in it so no point in doing that. Plus it's more references to change. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more help. Sounds like you got it but post if you get stuck again.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Yes, I got the dependency removed for the new Vehicle..it no longer requires WVBanshee.u

I'll post links in the other thread to the updated versions..

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner