Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
View Poll Results: Should ONS-CBP2-Valarna be removed?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
Mailbox
Just Registered

Default Removal Poll: ONS-CBP2-Valarna

Hi everyone.

Binger proposed in another thread to make polls for removing maps if we feel like we don't want them. I don't want to go after a MTMU map first with this kind of format, so I chose a lower hanging fruit (IMO).

ONS-CBP2-Valarna is one of the few vanilla maps on the Omni roster, and has many of the problems that vanilla ONS maps have. The core doesn't have enough vehicles to reliably contest a team that has all of the nodes. The single primary is connected to two other nodes, one of which is very difficult to reach without a flier or fast mover, and easy for the enemy team to defend.

It's a shame, because the feel of the map is good, but it just doesn't play well in my opinion with the current node layout. I suggest a motion to remove this map from the roster. Perhaps it can return in the future with a different node layout and/or with an extra vehicle or two at the cores.

What does everyone think? The poll will be up for 30 days from this post.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

I'm not an advocate of removing maps. My preference is put all the maps online. If you don't like a map, don't vote for it, don't play it. Allow others to play if they choose so.

Haha, reminds me of a funny Conservatives vs Liberals thing I saw recently. Pardon the political satire.

• If a conservative doesnít like guns, they donít buy one. If a liberal doesnít like guns, then no one should have one.
  • If a conservative is a vegetarian, they donít eat meat. If a liberal is, they want to ban all meat products for everyone.
  • If a conservative doesnít like a talk show host, he switches channels. Liberals demand that those they donít like be shut down.
  • If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesnít go to church. A liberal wants any mention of God or religion silenced.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

What about when a conservative doesn't like gay marriage?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmallBerries View Post
What about when a conservative doesn't like gay marriage?
They marry the opposite sex and could care less who anyone else marries.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I'm not an advocate of removing maps. My preference is put all the maps online. If you don't like a map, don't vote for it, don't play it. Allow others to play if they choose so.

Haha, reminds me of a funny Conservatives vs Liberals thing I saw recently. Pardon the political satire.

• If a conservative doesnít like guns, they donít buy one. If a liberal doesnít like guns, then no one should have one.
  • If a conservative is a vegetarian, they donít eat meat. If a liberal is, they want to ban all meat products for everyone.
  • If a conservative doesnít like a talk show host, he switches channels. Liberals demand that those they donít like be shut down.
  • If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesnít go to church. A liberal wants any mention of God or religion silenced.
Liberal here. I believe in none of the second halves of any of those. This looks like cirkle jerky spam you'd see in chain emails or facebook shares.
Everyone who doesn't believe what I believe is an idiot though right?

Valarna's a cool looking map but I guess if you take away the scenery then there's not much there. If the map disappeared, people probably wouldn't even notice it was gone. That being said I dont think it's really a problem that it's here.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

In before "snowflake"
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Its a nice map, needs a bit of rework and could be fun...if only I knew how to (re)map.

There's plenty of other stuff that could go, Trench for one, while new, seems universally hated.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
...I don't want to go after a MTMU map first...
How about never.

I used to argue that too many maps contributes to the situation we have of playing the same few maps over and over and I think I made some good points but I gave up on that and don't really care anymore. Sure, put all the maps on the server. How fun sorting through all that.

Valarna is a pretty map but other than that it sucks. Probably the most un-enjoyable map I've ever played. Everything about it is wrong and not fixable and it's a perfect example of why the server shouldn't have every map on it.

Sigh, why am I here getting sucked back in!?1?!?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Its a nice map, needs a bit of rework and could be fun...if only I knew how to (re)map.

There's plenty of other stuff that could go, Trench for one, while new, seems universally hated.
I hate trench with a passion. It looks nice, but plays horrible.

I only played Valarna once in 3 months. Was a good 2 round match and it was a nice change of pace. Sadly if a map is not one of the usual 7, it will only get played when the server is hosting a few people.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
[...]..if only I knew how to (re)map. [...]
Have fun with it. It's still a draft and I have not implementet all links yet, and a bit of chaos, but the video tutorials for starters schould give you some infos. If you habe questions ask.
http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=887

P.S. I didn't vote.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 01-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Well let's see... can't see shit, Trench; hard to move around, Trench; stuck on volumes... Trench; constant Dragon bomb spamming/spawn killing... Trench, again. Yup, not much to like about Trench. Looks realistic... check. Appreciate someone working on new maps, despite my bitching... check.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Enyo
Getting there...

Agreed, only map I think should 100% be removed is Trench. It's unplayable unless you're in the dragon.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Isn't there a newer version of Valarna that has additional vehicles? I agree that the CBP2 version isn't suited well for this server.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Terminator
Getting there...

Yeah, Trench is bad. Valarna is too. I'm not even sure why this thread exists. Its not like removing this map would do the server any justice. LOL, now perhaps we should focus on more important things?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Yeah, Trench is bad. Valarna is too. I'm not even sure why this thread exists. Its not like removing this map would do the server any justice. LOL, now perhaps we should focus on more important things?
Shut up Terminator!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Isn't there a newer version of Valarna that has additional vehicles? I agree that the CBP2 version isn't suited well for this server.
That's the version I asked for when I asked for Valarna. The edit was fun.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #17
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
Have fun with it. It's still a draft and I have not implementet all links yet, and a bit of chaos, but the video tutorials for starters schould give you some infos. If you habe questions ask.
http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=887

P.S. I didn't vote.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
That's the version I asked for when I asked for Valarna. The edit was fun.
I just checked. The edit is called ONS-CBP2-Valarna-BadWolf-V1a.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
Binger

I'll try to be little more constructive in my criticism. The map is too vertical for ground vehicles. Vehicles with limited pitch on their guns have to traverse wide open steep angled slopes. Brilliant. Then the bottom area is too crowded and too hilly. Making this an all flyer map might work. Having things like a Goliath or Badger on it is ridiculous. I first played this on other servers back before the Badwolf version and have played it more recently and it's always the same thing, chaos. The vehicles don't work in the environment and nobody knows where the fuck to go and what to do. There is a reason most ONS maps have flat areas and keep gameplay on mostly one level.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #20
Enyo
Getting there...

I'd be in favor of keeping the map if it was modified to be a flyer heavy map like Binger suggested. Only problem there is hardly anybody ever want to vote on flyer maps like SlatedWorld and AirMars. I guess operating a flyer takes too much thought and effort for most OMNI players. You can't just park a flyer and SPAM nodes with it.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught