Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Mailbox
Just Registered

Default Omnipotents VoIP Server Request

Hi everyone.

I am aware that Omni had a VoIP server some time in the past, but doesn't now. Having an external VoIP server can provide a place for server regulars to hang out when not playing UT, which I think would be pretty useful.

A TeamSpeak or Mumble server could be hosted by someone (like HoC). Alternatively, a Discord server could be set up (like CEONSS), which offers persistent chat and easier setup at the cost of being data mined.

What does everyone think?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Well personally I've moved over to Discord for most of gaming stuff. I still have TeamSpeak installed but almost never use it.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

How does this work and why would I want to use it?

I'm aware that some have alternative voice chats going in-game, I've seen it watching Colbye's videos. But not having used it, can't figure out why I would participate, it doesn't make sense to me.

Please educate us that don't use this already, thanks!

PS: I haven't figured out twitter yet either, can't discover why I'd even want to, haha!
Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Some snipes:
It's free in money. You don't need the programm, it's working fine in the browser.
When you already are using discord, it would be nice when you join that server:
https://discord.gg/X4V8THM
When you make one I will link an invite there as well if you do the same.

I also linked some other servers in it.

Teamspeak is fine and has a better software for voice. But with the discord thing you gave people who don't have the TS password a platform to talk ingame. For example in the tourney when there are specs who don't have a forum account you can point them there.

Discord has a very nice and good ban and mute system. You can restrict everything on a server due to a roll management. And every individual has it's own mute system, so you can mute an other player for you.
It has also a live textchat option which you can let look like IRC just that the chat will stay and you can read back (sure you should not post your credit card number there).
There are also many bots out there for crap and other things like games (for example tic tac toe). Some of the bots have also the ability to help manage the textchat channels.

So at the end of the day it's a nice have, don't cost any money and you can reach more players. There are plenty of servers out there. With a working voice chat muting system.

And here: http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=977
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

But on discord, wouldn't you be talking to everyone, and not just your own team?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

I didn't care for discord when we played the OMNI vs CEONSS match. I could not figure out a way to set a talk button, everyone on your team could hear everything you say all the time. Maybe I'm just dense and couldn't figure it out, but neither could anyone else on the OMNI team. If it's an always on voice chat, then I'm not interested.

Miauz, is there a way to change that?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

I'm sure Mail wanted to have that in addition to the ingame voice chat to give something to share memes and so on.

You can change your voice activation sensivity or use it via push to talk (obviously only with the program) (like the ingame voice chat).

It's not connected to the game so yes the ingame team colours will not effect in which channel you are. You can make as many channels as you like and restrict them to rools and with that who can join the channel. You can also add bots to discord.. so if you can code you can make a Mutator which is working with a discord bot and automaticly shwitching players based on which team they are ingame and restrict the channels with automaticly given rools. Otherwise you need to switch manual like on every other 3r. party VoIP.

Red settings.
Green mute sound + mute your voice (you hear nothing + no one can here you)
Blue mute voice (you hear all + no one can here you)
When you speak you will see a green ring around your name pulsing.

Blue check for push to talk (press buttom to talk otherwise no one can here you)(working with the programm)
Red slider for voice sensivity.. to the right you need to speak louder for the activation
Green bar where you can see on which level you voice noice is atm
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Enyo
Getting there...

Unfortunately the Mac version of the app seems to be buggy. Both of us that were playing on Macs could not get the app to connect at all. We had to go through the browser to connect , which doesn't allow for push to talk.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Maybe they have fixed it. There were like 10 updates since the match event and one of our players (ThunderCat) who is also using a Mac, was connected.
Or it's just because Mac/Apple is the devil itselve and don't allow things which are not Apple. =P
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #10
Mailbox
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
I'm sure Mail wanted to have that in addition to the ingame voice chat to give something to share memes and so on.
That's right! I'm proposing this as a supplement to the in-game voice chat, not a replacement. Thanks Miauz for making a very detailed post.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Maybe they have fixed it. There were like 10 updates since the match event and one of our players (ThunderCat) who is also using a Mac, was connected.
Or it's just because Mac/Apple is the devil itselve and don't allow things which are not Apple. =P
OK, thanks for the update, I'll give it a try.
How is Apple the devil if Bill Gates is the anti-christ? And does anyone else think Jeff Bezos looks eerily similar to Dr. Evil?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Binger

The only time I've used TS was on Lag's channel when we were playing UT4. It worked fine. It was interesting how much better the audio sounded. Everyone sounded different from the UT voip.

I'm on Discord although I haven't used the voice chat. I mostly joined just to follow the UT4 discussion since the devs abandoned the forums and went to Discord. I like the modern look of Discord. I've never been an IRC chat kind of person.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

You are on discord and didn't joined my channel? Do it now, (that's an order) =P: https://discord.gg/X4V8THM

The voice quality is minimum as good as in TeamSpeak.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Binger

Quote:
Do it now
Done, I think. It opened in firefox but then it asked me if I wanted to send the request to the app (after I opened it). I don't see it in the app yet but I'll figure it out later. Thanks man.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Mailbox
Just Registered

Just necroing this thread for an update.

When talking in-game with analog, and it seems that the omni admin team is open to having a discord server for the group. The VoIP server would need its own set of admins, though. I'd volunteer, but I think I'm a bit too busy at the moment to do the job. Would anyone else be willing to admin a VoIP server?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Binger

Quote:
You are on discord and didn't joined my channel? Do it now, (that's an order) =P: https://discord.gg/X4V8THM

The voice quality is minimum as good as in TeamSpeak.
Got it finally. I have like 7 other server invites. Do you just join whatever you get invites for or only those few you are interested in? I kind of just want to accept them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Just necroing this thread for an update.

When talking in-game with analog, and it seems that the omni admin team is open to having a discord server for the group. The VoIP server would need its own set of admins, though. I'd volunteer, but I think I'm a bit too busy at the moment to do the job. Would anyone else be willing to admin a VoIP server?
A year ago I probably would have volunteered but I can't see myself being on there enough now.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Nearly all. As you can move the servers up and down (at least in the browser) you can move the less attractives down. You can also change the notifications settings (right click on the icon) from server to server and for eache channel in a server.. so you could mute single channels (and let them hide automaticly) or whole servers.

You don't need so much people to keep an eye on others. You can simply work via whitelisting. The permissions system is a roll system.. when you fresh join a server you get the roll @everyone (you allways have it). Than you can give or take permissions to specific rolls and also add that permissions to specific voice and textchannels. When you keep an eye on the struckture when setting up it's not so hard, if not you can mess up things very easy.
There are also a ton of Bots out there.. you can make your own, too.. some are very usefull and can also auto kick, ban,... users if whished.
Users can also block (and unblock if wanted) and voicemute other users themselve.
The one who created the server is the owner forever and has allways all rights.
I could help you setting up the rolls and channels to what you want.
When you delete a channel or server it's gone for good.. things like than can't made undone and all info is lost, so the manage channels/servers/rolls/Admin permissions should not be given to random or dump people (that happend on the UTPugs discord with the UT2k4 channel 3 times in a row because of such a guy.. before that there were every day a few pugs, after that nothing more.. all relevant players muted or left that server).
Old 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
Binger

I created a server on my Discord channel. It's called Unreal Warfare. I also created a voice channel on it called ut2004-omni so if anyone wants to use it feel free.

https://discord.gg/7xUAbDw

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught