Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #1
ThePerfectCore
Takin' a Ride off a cliff

Default It's been a while / a note on toxicity

Wassup guys, it's been like 6 years or whatever. I bought UT2004 on Steam a little while ago and fired it up today to see if y'all were still around. I laughed when I saw that Masterbath was still in rotation, and people still constantly yell about where the mino is. Barracks sure has changed a lot though.

Is Carpe still around? I never got around to finishing that sweet CTF frag video for him back in like, 2010 or whatever. Sorry bud, don't hate me forever.

Does hardspike still exist? How about guy? I noticed some other familiar faces on the server this afternoon.

Anyway, so, about this toxicity thing... I noticed something else on the server, too.

I had been on the server for maybe 10 minutes. I was trying to get feel for floaty vehicle handling again when someone else jumped in my Badger and immediately started yelling on the voice, "Where the fuck are you going? If you don't know where you're FUCKING going, then don't play the fucking game!" or something to that effect. I could be misremembering exactly what was said, but that's the gist.

I was really surprised by this. I know what it's like to be frustrated when things aren't going well, but to get to the point where you're yelling on the mic - especially towards unfamiliar players - means you're probably taking the game a little too seriously. Telling a "new" player that they shouldn't even be playing is... well, just childish and shitty.

Games aren't anything without the community, and a toxic community eventually becomes a non-existent community. For the old timers who have been playing this game since before Bush's second term (ahem), you'll probably just keep on keepin' on, which is fine, but something to remember is this: there's a human on the other end of that game. UT2004 is still being sold on Steam. Someone new may pop in one day, but if they get screamed at, they might decide to close, uninstall, and never come back. There goes an opportunity to attract a new community member, who might've made some significant contributions to the amount of fun, fulfillment, enjoyment, or whatever it is we all get out of this game.

Of course, if toxicity is your thing, you could just main Hanzo in comp... not that I would know anything about that...

Peace.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
hardspike
Server Admin

Hey dude, welcome back! Yeah, I still exist. Had been playing UT2K4 pretty regularly since you left. I kinda disappeared for a few months a couple of years ago when I was into Star Wars Battlefront on the PS4 and again recently playing Fortnite Battle Royale.

Epic Games Fortnite Battle Royale is a blast and it's free

I still visit the forums to check in on what's going on.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectCore View Post
I had been on the server for maybe 10 minutes. I was trying to get feel for floaty vehicle handling again when someone else jumped in my Badger and immediately started yelling on the voice, "Where the fuck are you going? If you don't know where you're FUCKING going, then don't play the fucking game!" or something to that effect. I could be misremembering exactly what was said, but that's the gist...
Who was it? "Name em and shame em" is my motto. I'm all for tough love, but that's a bit over the top, usually if somebody is that toxic I mute them, never to be heard from again.

Some of us do have anger management issues when playing the game. We prefer to win, and a stupid team just makes me angry. That's when I know I've had enough and need a break, haha!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
..." especially towards unfamiliar players - means you're probably taking the game a little too seriously. Telling a "new" player that they shouldn't even be playing is... well, just childish and shitty."
Nobody knows for sure who the new and old players are anymore. The current trend is for old timers to change their nicknames, so nobody recognizes them until they speak. The other indicator that a player is new is if they are not performing well. And that's not reliable because we have a new set of ass-hats that appear to make it their primary function to screw around and do nothing useful.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
ThePerfectCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Hey dude, welcome back! Yeah, I still exist. Had been playing UT2K4 pretty regularly since you left. I kinda disappeared for a few months a couple of years ago when I was into Star Wars Battlefront on the PS4 and again recently playing Fortnite Battle Royale.

Epic Games Fortnite Battle Royale is a blast and it's free

I still visit the forums to check in on what's going on.
Sweet. I've heard good things about Fortnite and PUBG but I just can't bring myself to get into them after blowing 300 hours on Overwatch.

UT2004 isn't about to become my main waste of time again, more like... a once every couple of weeks thing. Maybe we'll see each other out there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Who was it? "Name em and shame em" is my motto. I'm all for tough love, but that's a bit over the top, usually if somebody is that toxic I mute them, never to be heard from again.

Some of us do have anger management issues when playing the game. We prefer to win, and a stupid team just makes me angry. That's when I know I've had enough and need a break, haha!
I called them out in chat and they immediately apologized, so I won't bring up their name.

My experience in dealing with the toxic hellhole that is silver/gold/plat in Overwatch competitive is this: players that aren't doing well NEVER get better after they get yelled at. Some play worse, some leave the voice channel, some switch to a class that is even less useful than what they were playing before. Instead of yelling about how someone shouldn't be playing the game, it's better to swallow that rage and give useful orders instead. "Hey man, let's go get node 4" or something like that.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #6
Xexx

Quote:

I had been on the server for maybe 10 minutes. I was trying to get feel for floaty vehicle handling again when someone else jumped in my Badger and immediately started yelling on the voice, "Where the fuck are you going? If you don't know where you're FUCKING going, then don't play the fucking game!" or something to that effect. I could be misremembering exactly what was said, but that's the gist.
That was me. Pretty much what I said except it was "Where the fuck are you going? If you don't know where the fuck you're going, then don't get in the vehicle"

I had gotten in and switched to the turret to kill someone close by, but we may have entered at basically the same time, and it was a hard fought rebound match.

I apologized because it's true, you didn't deserve the comment and objectively it wasn't even a bad move, we had just opened up the primary node and had the enemy bearing down on us, some distance even in reverse wasn't a bad idea.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
ThePerfectCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
That was me. Pretty much what I said except it was "Where the fuck are you going? If you don't know where the fuck you're going, then don't get in the vehicle"

I had gotten in and switched to the turret to kill someone close by, but we may have entered at basically the same time, and it was a hard fought rebound match.

I apologized because it's true, you didn't deserve the comment and objectively it wasn't even a bad move, we had just opened up the primary node and had the enemy bearing down on us, some distance even in reverse wasn't a bad idea.
It's cool man, like I said I know what it's like to get frustrated while playing some dumb internet game. See ya on the server.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Enyo
Getting there...

Welcome back PerfectCore! You're absolutely correct on everything you said... unless we're talking about GuyThatKillsYou toxicity. His rants are just plain good entertainment.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught