Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #181
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

The hardest part is a moving target. People leave and people join...say four join in the middle of the match, you get two noobs, the other team gets experienced players...going to make a difference...and the balancer has no effect on that. Also, most players have "favorite" maps that they do better on that others...so they might be in the top scoring one match then middle of the pack in the next.

I will say, though, I noticed one match, where the balancer did not work. There were only 5 players and the three with the highest pph all ended up on the same team.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #182
Pi

EvenMatch updated to 2beta2. Any setting can be changed, for descriptions on what each setting does, read the readme @:
https://github.com/TheRealWormbo/EvenMatch

current server settings are:
Code:
[EvenMatchV2b2.MutTeamBalance]
ActivationDelay=10
MinDesiredFirstRoundDuration=0
bShuffleTeamsAtMatchStart=True
bRandomlyStartWithSidesSwapped=True
bAssignConnectingPlayerTeam=True
bIgnoreConnectingPlayerTeamPreference=True
bAnnounceTeamChange=True
bIgnoreBotsForTeamSize=True
bBalanceTeamsBetweenRounds=False
bBalanceTeamsWhilePlaying=False
bBalanceTeamsDuringOvertime=False
bBalanceTeamsOnPlayerRequest=True
bBalanceTeamsOnAdminRequest=True
bDisplayRoundProgressIndicator=False
SmallTeamProgressThreshold=0.500000
SoftRebalanceDelay=10
ForcedRebalanceDelay=30
SwitchToWinnerProgressLimit=0.600000
ValuablePlayerRankingPct=60
RecentBalancingPlayerTime=120
NoBalancingUndoTime=30
MinPlayerCount=2
TeamsCallString=
DeletePlayerPPHAfterDaysNotSeen=90
bDebug=True

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #183
dimshade
Getting there...

The voicechat issue at map start seems to be fixed. Woohoo!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #184
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
The voicechat issue at map start seems to be fixed. Woohoo!
I can confirm that as well. Was not a lot of voice chatters last night, but the several maps I played and got switched at the beginning there was no problem. What a relief!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #185
Pi

thank god. anything to shut dimsuck up

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 03-27-2016, 02:09 AM   #186
Binger

Is this still on the server? It doesn't seem to be working. Matches lately seem to be as one-sided as they have ever been. I appreciate all the hard work Wormbo put into this but maybe it's just not possible to make it work. At this point I would prefer to go back to random teams.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #187
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Hey Binger great work on the Goliath I read your comments on the other thread!

I just jumped in to give my take on the matches being even. I think the balance programming works but the problem is the people that keep logging out as the map changes then reconnecting after the start, I have been noticing the deluge of players that spec or wait to see who's on what team then join that team a minute after the match starts which of course loads out a team. I really have no idea of how to fix it, seems every time someone fixes something people find a way to backdoor the fix. Hell just this morning I watched 2 players leave our team and spec or log out, there were only 6 of us and waited for another to log in then rejoined on the other team (who was winning) of course. Douche bag antics 101! I'm not going to call anyone out but you know who you are! But sadly they are not the only one....

Something else I would like to say here is that I don't know WTF happened but players are starting to use real douche tactics in the game including core vehicle spawn killing which has become atrocious on the server "Thanks for changing your ways Roger" But now it seems half the players are using Rogers and Paminators old tactics that they were banned for. Also players stealing other peoples vehicles and leaving them high and dry in the middle of the map with no vehicle cause they lost theirs or you have a better one and you were healing a node. Hell I have had 5 vehicles stolen by (I won't name you, but it starts with an "'E""), 3 of them while I was frekkin healing it, frekkin douchebag!!

AND another thing= This came up last night-While I realize OMNIPOTENTS does NOT go pandering for sponsors, my personal opinion is that if you have been playing here for any amount of time and you do NOT have a Server Sponsor TAG your a "SUPER DOUCHEBAG"!! you really come and play for years and do not pony up a few paltry dollars, hmmm Douche is all I can say!!

From the Donation link=
Why Donate?

Maintainance, upgrades, bandwidth, it all costs money. We run these servers because we love UT, but it is a financial burden running several top-ranked 32 player servers. Most of this financial burden falls upon QettoE, but you can help. If you love these servers as much as we do, please donate.

And Last I would like to apologize if I have been an ass to anyone lately I have been quitting smoking Cigs and Weed so I have been a little bit, OK a lot of an ass, My Sincerest Apologies to my fellow players and the Community as a whole. You all are pretty good peeps in my book even you Lagzilla!!

Have a Great and Wonderful Easter to All of You my Friends!!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #188
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Is this still on the server? It doesn't seem to be working. Matches lately seem to be as one-sided as they have ever been. I appreciate all the hard work Wormbo put into this but maybe it's just not possible to make it work. At this point I would prefer to go back to random teams.
I think the only way that this would work is if a couple of top players were moved at the end of the first round. I know some players were against being moved after the round started, so we'd have to bring it to a vote in order to see if balanced matches were worth it.

Balancing at the beginning doesn't work because every player is better at specific maps. This leads to stacking a bunch of DM'ers on infantry maps, and tank pros on tank maps.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #189
Wormbo
Wormlike

Over at CEONSS the problem of player skill depending on the type of maps has come up as well. I could introduce map-specific player PPH tracking to take that into account. It would obviously require some time to start having an effect on the quality of balancing, as the fallback behavior without data would have to be either the same as now or entirely randomized teams. Due to the increased amount of stored data, I'd probably move the stats tracking to binary packages, similar to how the final UTAN Ban Manager stores bans, thouhg likely using separate packages for each map so you can easily get rid of stored stats selectively by map.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #190
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I like the idea of inter-round balancing. It's a fairly straight forward way to fix the problem.

I did notice that people who hate the idea of the balancer at all seem to hate inter-round balancing. I am not saying all, but certainly the many I have talked to about it.

The argument is that if they win round one, they helped their team win, and now want to help their team again and not change. I don't agree with this opinion since I am more inclined to want the rounds to be less one sided and more enjoyable, but I can see where they are coming from. It's a funny symptom of ONS play, since DM game types don't care what teams they are on...

Andrew
Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #191
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

For Wormbo
Could this fallback, stat-bound be tied with the UT2004 ID? http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/ind...?stats=players For example I found myself, while offline from UT2004, and found, this;
1544094 [OMNI]Sumugan 3,655 202,128 53,178 59,552 72,550 6,374 43.0% 43.3 164.5 1,228.4
... I don't want to spam. So please don't hurt me, but I had logged on to other computers when mine was down, at a central gaming place, and have these too:
290728 Sumugan 749 19,520 6,697 7,734 9,001 1,037 43.5% 33.4 97.3 200.6
116869 Sumugan 332 10,642 3,372 3,883 4,146 511 45.5% 34.5 108.9 97.7
1484798 sumugan 204 9,093 2,873 3,238 2,806 365 50.5% 41.9 132.5 68.6
2045837 Sumugan 5 105 28 39 87 11 28.5% 20.9 78.5 1.3,

What I'm trying to get at is, if there's any fall back to stat-bound balancing, so in order to help you perhaps, instead of relying on a server based database, would it be wise to use an auto lookup of their table?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 AM   #192
Wormbo
Wormlike

After the recent discoveries, UT2004 global stats are pretty much out of the question for this.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #193
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
After the recent discoveries, UT2004 global stats are pretty much out of the question for this.
Sorry, Thought it might have been a worthy effort.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #194
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Yeah I think so too. However, I swear I've noticed from one match to another the balancing isn't working...maybe its me just "remembering" the scores, but more than once it seemed like it put the top 2 scorers on the same team.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #195
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Ok, so I was playing the other day, noted the top three scores (they had all been in the match for at least 7 minutes, played the round). Next game, that same three were all on the same team. So I think its broken.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #196
Lagzilla
Getting there...

It has seemed to be off lately.

Frequently seeing "brand name" players grouped on one team. A lot of one sided matches lately.

Andrew
Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #197
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Quote:
Why not update all the damage types on all the maps!? j/k Yeah, looks like local stats are the only way to go.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 AM   #198
Wormbo
Wormlike

Don't go nuts just yet, this isn't the update itself, just a "hype post" or something.

An update with map-specific PPH tracking is about to be released. (Yay for public holidays right after a weekend!) This should hopefully improve initial player balancing, once the map-specific stats are initialized. (i.e. don't complain about the new balancing too much unless you already played the particular map with the new balancer in a prior match already)
Worth mentioning: The balancer can only take players into account who are already in the game when the match starts. If a significant number of players shows up late due to load times, simply increasing the server's delay before starting a match might improve results already.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #199
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Don't go nuts just yet, this isn't the update itself, just a "hype post" or something.

An update with map-specific PPH tracking is about to be released.
Wormbo, first off, thanks for making updates to try to make the balancer better since the community has voted to reinstate it. What's the ETA on this update?

Second, there was a lot of discussion prior to it being temporarily disabled about PPH maybe not being the best metric to use to determine player skill in onslaught. Would it be possible and not overly cumbersome to somehow incorporate the rates at which players construct and destroy nodes. Seems to me to be a more relevant measure of "skill" in onslaught. Finding that rate is as easy as dividing the number of nodes constructed/destroyed by hours played. I know the universal stats keeps track of these numbers, so I'm assuming they could be tracked locally too???

Anyone else have any thoughts on this idea? And before someone says it, I'm going to go ahead and refute the idea that players that are heavy defenders but with high PPH (i.e. Dimshade) are just as valuable as the guys that are super aggressive on nodes. I agree the defenders can sometimes be helpful on certain maps, but you stack a team of aggressive node attackers against a bunch of defensive players and there's no contest - and this happens often when basing on PPH. But, basing skill on node development and destruction should even the teams out so you don't end up with all node attackers on one team, or vice versa with defenders.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #200
Wormbo
Wormlike

That's unfortunately a very complex change and requires a lot of details about how to derive a rating from those numbers. What's more important, building nodes or destroying them? What about healing relevant or irrelevant nodes? When is a node relevant, for that matter? What about aggressively defending a node currently under construction by your team against incoming "hoards" of opponents? Also note that changing the rating system to include more individual values would significantly increase the amount of data to store. The map-specific storing already increases the amount by quite a lot, so I wouldn't want to store even more values at this point before verifying whether it helps.

I think we've discussed improving the scoring system many times before, and it would really be the way to go here. If the scoring system reflects a player's participation to team effort more accurately, PPH would automatically become a better measurement.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner