Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
Binger

Default Hello Xexx

Back on the server tonight. It's been over a year. My first map, Minus, and guess who's hanging out over our base dropping bombs from the Dragon? Fuck Off, Xexx! Get help you pitiful little piece of shit. Your need to ruin the fun for others is sad. I was looking forward to tonight but you immediately shit all over that. Congratulations. I'm sure it makes you happy to be piss me off you disgusting pile of waste.

What happened to this place? This kind of poor sportsmanship wouldn't have been tolerated 10 years ago.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Back on the server tonight. It's been over a year. My first map, Minus, and guess who's hanging out over our base dropping bombs from the Dragon? Fuck Off, Xexx! Get help you pitiful little piece of shit. Your need to ruin the fun for others is sad. I was looking forward to tonight but you immediately shit all over that. Congratulations. I'm sure it makes you happy to be piss me off you disgusting pile of waste.

What happened to this place? This kind of poor sportsmanship wouldn't have been tolerated 10 years ago.

I feel your frustration Binger. This has been an ongoing discussion among the admins, specifically Xexx doing this exact same thing. It's a bit of grey area, but I assure you that if any admin we were there and witnessed it, Xexx would have been warned and if he persisted, he would have been bitch slapped on-the-spot.

It is absolutely douchey and lame but it's not illegal, and to do it with high powered vehicles, mino, dragon etc, is highly frowned upon, especially if it's persistent. Xexx has been warned repeatedly about this behavior, so if it's happening, please speak up so we can take immediate action. I've dropped out of game to watch when I heard this is happening, but he regressed and stopped. Mostly cause while he is core-spamming, his team starts losing the map. If he continued, I would have absolutely kicked him on the spot.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
dognuts
Getting there...

I'll take it a step further, it's illegal to do it with high powered vehicles. The dragon is one of those. I paraphrase Carpe here: If high power vehicles are being used and people are unable to play the game then it has to be stopped.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong. I've warned Xexx about it before and he's stopped. That kind of spawn killing is illegal.

dog
Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #4
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Can't we just put a jump pad to the roof and be done with this issue? Or auto turrets on the roof of the building?
Old 06-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Can't we just put a jump pad to the roof and be done with this issue? Or auto turrets on the roof of the building?

I have a new version that has jump pads to the roof (8/9). Waiting for the redirect... The Dragon on minus in particular is more of a map problem...its hard to get to and there's no good way to take it out (why there's a pulse traitor on my version).

That being said I think the thread is about base spawn killing. The Dragon in particular, can hide above the base on the buildings and lob bombs from relative safety. IMO its worse than the Mino which has to have direct line of fire. And since all the fliers are on the roof of the base..the Dragon can dominate.

I think there's a big difference of a "passing shot" vs. sustained spamming. For example, if I am trying to sneak up on 1/2 in Minus and go "the back way" I might throw a bomb on the base roof as I am passing (to avoid getting knocked around by roofies). Or Put a mino shot at the base while crossing "Main street". The only exception is if a primary is being built and the core might go hot..then IMO its all fair game to finish it.

I think its a judgement call on the part of the admins. I don't think we should make it so restrictive that it kills strategy and then it might encourage whining about it vs. just STFU and play.

The other option is to edit the maps and not allow locked vehicles to be damaged by enemy fire....

For the repeated douching, I think the admins can warn if they think its just being a dick vs. actually playing.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #6
Xexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognuts View Post
I'll take it a step further, it's illegal to do it with high powered vehicles. The dragon is one of those. I paraphrase Carpe here: If high power vehicles are being used and people are unable to play the game then it has to be stopped.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong. I've warned Xexx about it before and he's stopped. That kind of spawn killing is illegal.

dog
You just got accused of this today on nevermore with the goo tank. Some people are going to complain no matter what. Rules for this keep changing, you can't do it, you can't do it too much, you can do it but not with high powered vehicles, you can do it if they don't have any nodes... gee I can take turret fire from the top of the enemy base and lose almost all flight control, but I can't bomb the little shits in the turret when they don't turn around? In a map filled with turrets, rail tanks, spider tanks, and basilisks with high powered hitscan main weapons?

If people are "unable to play the game," you shouldn't have lost every node on the map. Yes, it's frustrating, but it'll probably be over in minutes anyway. That's the cost of losing.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
dognuts
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
You just got accused of this today on nevermore with the goo tank. Some people are going to complain no matter what. Rules for this keep changing, you can't do it, you can't do it too much, you can do it but not with high powered vehicles, you can do it if they don't have any nodes... gee I can take turret fire from the top of the enemy base and lose almost all flight control, but I can't bomb the little shits in the turret when they don't turn around? In a map filled with turrets, rail tanks, spider tanks, and basilisks with high powered hitscan main weapons?

If people are "unable to play the game," you shouldn't have lost every node on the map. Yes, it's frustrating, but it'll probably be over in minutes anyway. That's the cost of losing.
Xexx you do it when the opposing team still has nodes so don't make it sound like that's the only time you're a dick with the Dragon. I was wrongly accused of doing it. I was at a node and not the core. I was throwing goo over the hill and not into the core. There's a fucking huge difference. Seriously don't try to equate it. You have no position from which to defend yourself. Stop twisting this into some "grey area" bullshit that it isn't. You've sat in the Dragon on the building next to the core on MTMU and continually spawn killed everyone on the roof. Everyone knows it. Don't make it seem like other people are being unreasonable. It's bully bullshit and you know it. If someone in school was bigger than you would it be ok for him to kick your ass? You're a very good player but you're a horrible sportsman. That's really what it is.

If you do that kind of shit when I'm online I'll kick you. I can tell the difference between dealing with turrets and being a giant dick.

dog
Old 06-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Xexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognuts View Post
Xexx you do it when the opposing team still has nodes so don't make it sound like that's the only time you're a dick with the Dragon. I was wrongly accused of doing it. I was at a node and not the core. I was throwing goo over the hill and not into the core. There's a fucking huge difference. Seriously don't try to equate it. You have no position from which to defend yourself. Stop twisting this into some "grey area" bullshit that it isn't. You've sat in the Dragon on the building next to the core on MTMU and continually spawn killed everyone on the roof. Everyone knows it. Don't make it seem like other people are being unreasonable. It's bully bullshit and you know it. If someone in school was bigger than you would it be ok for him to kick your ass? You're a very good player but you're a horrible sportsman. That's really what it is.

If you do that kind of shit when I'm online I'll kick you. I can tell the difference between dealing with turrets and being a giant dick.

dog
That's because it is bullshit. I've been mostly keeping out of high powered vehicles lately and when people want to shoot me with immunity, it's not going to happen. The base is literally 4 levels deep. What's a dragon going to do, at max? Control 25% of the enemy base? Even less if there's another node available, like you're supposedly claiming. How does that equate to making people "unable to play the game?"

It absolutely doesn't, the logic is a huge failure and you're carebearing whiny players and your friends.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #9
Enyo
Getting there...

Dammit, I finally get a vacation away from home after being on pandemic lockdown for months, and I log into the forum to see everything on OMNI is going to shit. Just please maintain "peaceful protesting" on the forum and the rioting and looting on the game server.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
dognuts
Getting there...

Quote:
That's because it is bullshit. I've been mostly keeping out of high powered vehicles lately and when people want to shoot me with immunity, it's not going to happen. The base is literally 4 levels deep. What's a dragon going to do, at max? Control 25% of the enemy base? Even less if there's another node available, like you're supposedly claiming. How does that equate to making people "unable to play the game?"

It absolutely doesn't, the logic is a huge failure and you're carebearing whiny players and your friends.
You'd be hard pressed to find a single person who doesn't think that you're wrong. Spamming a base with a high powered weapon is bullshit...period. It doesn't change the calculus one bit. I'll kick you for doing it after warning you...every time. I'm onboard with a lot of your more aggressive moves but that's one I will never be onboard with.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
Binger

To all the good people in here, I'm sorry that I let my anger show. Something about this place really brings out the worst in me. This is a very old subject and I didn't intend to start a discussion. I was frustrated and angry because on my first map back I had to deal with the same crap that made me stop playing last year. After that experience of going from hopeful anticipation and excitement to disappointment and anger it's unlikely that I will ever play here again so I'll just say thanks for all the good times and thanks to those that kept the server up and running for so many years. I don't like when people come in here and say "I'm done" and "Farewell" and stuff like that because you never what you might do in the future so I'm just saying "Goodbye" in case I drop out from this scene for ever, which I feel is likely. I can't control my anger at things like Xexx's behavior so I'm better off just staying away.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #12
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
To all the good people in here, I'm sorry that I let my anger show. Something about this place really brings out the worst in me. This is a very old subject and I didn't intend to start a discussion. I was frustrated and angry because on my first map back I had to deal with the same crap that made me stop playing last year. After that experience of going from hopeful anticipation and excitement to disappointment and anger it's unlikely that I will ever play here again so I'll just say thanks for all the good times and thanks to those that kept the server up and running for so many years. I don't like when people come in here and say "I'm done" and "Farewell" and stuff like that because you never what you might do in the future so I'm just saying "Goodbye" in case I drop out from this scene for ever, which I feel is likely. I can't control my anger at things like Xexx's behavior so I'm better off just staying away.
I feel ya Binger, and I agree with you on Xexx's extreme douchiness, as does pretty much everyone here, like dognuts said. BUT, you really shouldn't let that BS ruin it for you... do like I do and look at it as a challenge and motivation to punish his little bitch ass like I do every time by cutting him off and making his spammy efforts a waste of his and his team's time and resources. His spawn killing never works for his team when I'm around, in fact I firmly believe his tactics mostly hurt his team. He's so fucking predictable and repetitive in EVERYTHING he does, nobody should ever be caught off guard by it anymore. It's a shame, he's such a talented player, but I think he truly enjoys getting a rise out of other players by being a dick. I can't count how many times I've lost on his team when we could/should have easily steamrolled the other team, but he's too busy being a spam-douche to play as a good teammate. So, you should honestly be glad when he's not on your team.

I wish you'd come back and play Binger and just don't let it bother you, otherwise you are truly letting him win. I hate that your first game back was like that, but seriously, the spawn killing stuff really isn't as egregious as it used to be... just think back on the days of Pam, MutantPilgrim and Roger (until he cleaned up his act). And like Carpe once pointed out, in the very early days everyone spawn killed and nobody cared because it was just considered part of the game. Spawn killing can be such a fuzzy line, it's hard to police and be equitable in who is punished and for which actions.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:25 AM   #13
Enyo
Getting there...

And just in case everyone doesn't have a full grasp of Xexx's extreme predictability, here's a run-down of his easily preventable douche tactics:

1) Flies a hammerhead directly to the 1/2 primary on MTMU to kill linkers in an effort to slow the enemy getting to 8/9; SOLUTION 1: take the dragon toward 1/2 in the beginning to cut him off (the dragon should tactically go that way anyway to support node chargers and get to 8/9 quickly as possible); SOLUTION 2: if the dragon goes the other way and you're at 1/2, just be looking for him and start shooting his hammerhead with the shock rifle to knock it off balance. And the shock rifle has a longer range than the hammerhead's artillery, so you can knock him around before he's in range to hit you.

2) Takes an Aegis directly to 3/7 on Tanks-a-lot to try and prevent the enemy ion node from building. This is actually a pretty good tactic, and more acceptable on TAL because the two lower primaries link directly to each other (as opposed to going 4 nodes deep into locked territory on MTMU); SOLUTION: simply take the core Aegis down to 1/3 and cut him off instead of going toward the ion node.

3) Core spams on MTMU with the dragon; SOLUTION 1: use the jump pad on the roof to jump up to where the backpack nuke spawns and use the shock rifle to keep him at bay. He usually spams where the vehicles spawn and you won't be hurt if you're where the nuke spawns. You can also duck on the ramp that goes down from the roof and you'll be below the dragon bomb, avoiding damage; SOLUTION 2: take a badger from the bottom floor and drive to the first jump pad by the building across from the core and use the rooftop jump pads to get on top of that building where you can knock his dragon around with a shock rifle... he eventually gives up and moves on; SOLUTION 3 (and my fav): take the mino up main street and cap his ass when he peeks out.

4) Takes a manta directly to 4/5 primaries on RedPlanet to slow spawning of enemy falcon; SOLUTION 1: manta should take riders to 4/5 who immediately lob avrils toward the enemy side and wait for him to appear over the hill and lock on; SOLUTION 2: assuming the mino goes toward 4/5, it should start shooting at the edges of the structure around the node, the wide splash damage takes out mantas easily.

The important thing to remember is that he NEVER changes these tactics, making them incredibly predictable. If you don't see him doing these things it simply means he didn't get in whichever vehicle first.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
dognuts
Getting there...

Same here Binger. I personally miss having you on the server. It'd be really good to have you back.

dog
Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #15
Xexx

It's amazing this is even an issue that requires responses other than "man the fuck up." This game has instant respawn with spawn protection, no stats or negative status effects from death, you don't lose item drops or spend more than a second getting back into the game, there is no punishment or record for disconnecting or dying, you are invulnerable for long enough to hit the 3 portals away from the area of danger. Yet still, you are whining to the admins to force someone else to comply because you die in a specific way a couple minutes on one map out of dozens.

The only issue here is a lack of mental health. Even worse, they actually kowtow to it as if you've been wronged or that engaging the opposing team quickly is some miscarriage of gamer etiquette. If I wanted to be a bully, I could've spent my time mocking you over voice chat as you raged over getting killed in deathmatch videogame by a guy playing off an AT&T cellphone tower "in the wrong way" instead of ignoring it like I do.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
you really shouldn't let that BS ruin it for you... do like I do and look at it as a challenge and motivation to punish his little bitch ass

This. It really only bothers me on Minus with Dragon bombing (its a bit of map issue too IMO, as you can't get to places to easily counter the dragon). The other stuff, like 1/2 minus, and aegis tunnel are pretty good strategy and not douchbag spawnkilling.

Actually, at the risk of going off topic, its much worse to have bad players on your team vs. Xexx's antics. Ones that take the mino or some such and just suicide run it with stupid tactics. Sometimes is noobs (yes seems like there's been few newer players..and we should welcome them but help them) but often its players who've been here for years. I am all for trying something new (esp if the team is getting completely dominated), but I've seen many matches turn quickly because controlling vehicles get wasted by either dumb play or people wanting to point pad.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
It's amazing this is even an issue that requires responses other than "man the fuck up."
I felt that's essentially what I was telling him, but yeah, that's pretty much my attitude about it too.

And I'll agree with Pooty that the main thing you do that's truly spammy/douchy is the dragon bombing on the roof of MTMU. Doing so is considered acceptable only when the enemy primary is unlocked, but sometimes you do it repeatedly even when the enemy primaries and sometimes secondaries are still locked. It's been discussed in this forum over and over, and it's been clearly established that spawn killing a core repeatedly with a power vehicle when the enemy primaries are still locked is a kickable offense. So don't whine when an admin kicks you for it.

As for the rest of your tactics...
I don't think "engaging the opposing team quickly is some miscarriage of gamer etiquette." I do think it's poor strategy for your OWN TEAM when there's good players on the opposing side that know how to disrupt your predictable actions. It only works against mediocre teams, in which case what's the point? It's very frustrating when you and I are on the same team and you take off in one of the only two flyers on MTMU to go do that nonsense instead of helping your team get to its own nodes quickly as possible. Or Hell, go after the mino at round start, you're really good at that and it would be much more helpful in slowing the enemy down. Any halfway decent player knows you're coming to 1/2 and will stop you, effectively wasting the hammerhead in the beginning of the round.

As much as I dislike your preemptive tactics, I've never threatened to kick you for them (and I won't ever), and I'm not aware of any other admin that has. The only thing admins have warned you about is the dragon bomb spam on MTMU. Don't do it repeatedly when the enemy primaries are locked and there should be no fear of admin reprisal.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #18
Bacteria
[OMNI]_Bacteria

So just in Tanks A Lot, Xexx is running something that makes him unkillable...2 direct hits with Ion Tank Primary on foot, exposed...nothing...fucking cheater...DOMM saw it too...FFS
Old 07-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacteria View Post
So just in Tanks A Lot, Xexx is running something that makes him unkillable...2 direct hits with Ion Tank Primary on foot, exposed...nothing...fucking cheater...DOMM saw it too...FFS
If you think someone is cheating, we need proof (i.e. videos) to take any action. Indeed, some players seem harder to kill than others, but it can't all be chalked up to hacks.

There are dynamics of the game that some players understand and take advantage of that others don't know about. Hell, some players still haven't even figured out the point of onslaught is capturing nodes.

And, due to the nature of the "overpowered" vehicles on omni, they are inherently buggy and direct hits often don't register. The mino and PPC are 2 such high damage vehicles that have many "unregs"that do zero damage. Just yesterday, I made 3 direct hits in a row on a hurricane with a mino to no effect. It's always highly frustrating, but it does not mean someone is cheating with a reduced damage hack.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacteria View Post

I saw this too. I don't think its a hack, but for some reason certain "lags" or shots missing seems to center around certain players..Xexx for one. I've watched him eject and be unhurt from a vehicle exploding that he was in more than one time, more often than not...timing is uncanny. Now maybe Xexx is just really good at timing things too. Xexx is also really good at cycling the shield/shot on the Aegis, esp in TAL. [As a side story for those that think its all about hacks..I had a buddy who we were LAN gaming (that should date it) playing either Quake or Half-Life and we all swore up and down he was cheating/hacking....so I let him play on my Rig...and he just happily went along and mopped the floor with us. Moral: Some players are just better, Moral 2: [Quoting Smoker] Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield]

To be fair, Xexx was unhappy as he got nailed by secondary ION fire while in a HH in Minus...he claimed he was far away, but on my map he was directly overhead (and I don't think he knew I was there)..and I nailed him. So it can go both ways.

Overall, I think there's some players that just "feel" faster and end up being harder to kill. What I think we are seeing is that at times with all the vehicles, projectiles etc, the engine has a hard time keeping up. Certain vehicles, certain projectiles (either large area of effect or many projectiles) have a harder time tracking than say a single tank shot (want proof...how's that Nexus Lag feel on Minus Nightwolf). Ion lag is always variable from my POV, I'd hit ION tanks watched them explode then fire and kill me (they blast should dissipate if the tank is killed), watched badgers driver right through the blast etc. Remember we are on a 15+ year old engine..even faster CPU/RAM etc might not be able to keep up. I also think there can be some network settings on the client that can help efficiency...and ping does come into play... For example, I can't hit scan really at all on CEONSS like I can on Omni becuase of the ping.

It would be cool if we could optimize the server/clients for the best interaction, but I don't know if it can be done. I haven't seen these issues on other servers (RMD, SV/DW) but those hardly ever get the volume of players like Omni. Might be an interesting experiement to go play Minus (if they have it on DW) and see how it runs with say 12 v 12 and see if we have the issues. It could be the map or vehicle versions too.

While at times this stuff really ticks me off..look at it like real world...stuff doesn't always work the way it was supposed to.....

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught