Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default Magic-Air-Isle

Well, not really. MagicIsle V4 available at...

http://files.filefront.com/MagicIsle.../fileinfo.html

That file contains the map and a texture file, and as usual, you'll save precious redirect bandwidth and time if you
grab it from there first.

V1 has been removed (Mental), if there is enough moaning and belly-aching we may add it back, but having two
maps so similar probably isn't a good thing (MTMU and EVO are radically different, despite having the same foundation).

All the newly skinned birds are nesting in various places now, and the Wiley Brit (aka Gorzz) added a couple of
HellHounds at the base to compensate for the additional airpower.

Please use this thread for comments, ideas, suggestions, complaints and what-not.

Nice work on the skins TrueTrojan, and thanks again to THE MAN (Gorzzy) for rolling another one off the assembly line.
If Mrs Carpe wasn't dragging me out to shop, I'd be online right now and forcing it on the next map vote to try it out.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

Cool, look forward to seeing this in action.

So V1, V2 (never on the server), but where'd V3 go? I never saw V3.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
[v]3N+4L = MENTAL
Getting there...

I don't know Carpe, I think your original premise was correct. I SHOULD be renamed to Magic-Air-Isle. Because really, it's now just a low altitude version of Air-Mars.

Harbinger.
[V].

I should add, I just played this and in the few minutes I was in, saw a person on my team abandon the LEVI. It's not the same map no more.

Last edited by [v]3N+4L = MENTAL; 05-21-2007 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: adding to comment
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

You only played for a few minutes mental. The map has to be bench tested until everyone is familiar with the vehicle layout and understands the tricks on it, then plays it properly. Even that had some good action. <ooooo> covering my cicada in a falcon as we whizzed around taking nodes. Analog was shooting up everything in the sky with some lazers from somewhere.

It needs work, it needs some more in the way of learning about it, but dont go mad yet. It will be a map you will like when its all done.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Illiander
Harmless little Fuzzball

Location: A small dark room that never sees the sun (untill my wife opens the curtains)

Iīd say itīs enough of a different beast to warrent putting V1 back on the server as well, having played one game (and knowing where most of the new raptor spawns are, having put a lot of them in there). This is an airpower map, V1 was about tanks and air supporting each other in a coordinated (or not so coordinated) attack. V4 has enough aircraft for everyone in a team to get one, and then some to spare.
Mabey for V5, go back to V1īs raptor numbers, but SWAP some of them for falcons (I love the falcon).

on the raptor varients themselves:

LOVE the Falcon, itīs what the raptor should of been. They can actually have a non-stalemated dogfight.

Iīm not too sure about the Wasp and Aurora though, have you tweaked the shockball speed on the Aurora Gorz? Cos it doesnīt seem like I can build up a mass of them as I fly towards a node anymore, that might just be because of the bumpy ground not giving me a nice run-up though.

oh, and in case this hasnīt got through: I LOVE THE FALCON!!! I love the Falcon more than the BioTank, and most of you know how much I like that thing.

sig by Pi
Go ahead, laugh at my accent...
I do.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Sir Kendrick
Fraggin' dem baddies !

I downloading it now..I wonder what's it like? Is it going on the server????
By the way Gorz I love magicIsle!!! it's soooo fun.... good work.

Last edited by Sir Kendrick; 05-21-2007 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: uhh gotta fix that!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Dom
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kendrick View Post
I downloading it now..I wonder what's it like? Is it going on the server????
By the way Gorz I love magicIsle!!! it's soooo fun.... good work.
Do what I did and load it on against some bots to check out the new features.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
Sir Kendrick
Fraggin' dem baddies !

nah, I just finished downloading I'm probably gonna TEST v4. I'm gonna have fun Testing MagicIsleV4.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #9
Dom
Nubbin

Ok, so I got a taste of it on a live server, and I have to say, that while the new planes are fun as hell to fly, this version isn't going to work as a "serious" map. With the huge amount of air power, it is now impossible to get a lost node back up. Because by the time you take out it's 3 attackers, they're back in 30 seconds. It's just as someone else called it, Airmars with terrain.

Respawn time on the air vehicles needs to be vastly increased.
Falcons are totally imbalanced on this map when they can solo a levi, mino, fire tank, and bio tank together without dying. The wasps are the same.

I appreciate the desire to speed up Magicisle a bit. But this has gone from being my favourite map, to being one I'll just play once and a while for a dogfight or two.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
its not 1337, its 337

I'd say don't take the mino, fire, or bio tank out without a gunner then?

I agree that the levi is most likely a non issue now (it already got pummeled in the original one), perhaps use it to defend the core? We'll see, I hate airmars with a passion so if this is what everyone says it is...

Of course, I would actually have to play in the 1st place as I've been way too busy. only took 5 hours to take a 3' x 2' section of 10" concrete wall out of my basement...weee.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Ok, so I got a taste of it on a live server, and I have to say, that while the new planes are fun as hell to fly, this version isn't going to work as a "serious" map. With the huge amount of air power, it is now impossible to get a lost node back up. Because by the time you take out it's 3 attackers, they're back in 30 seconds. It's just as someone else called it, Airmars with terrain.

Respawn time on the air vehicles needs to be vastly increased.
Falcons are totally imbalanced on this map when they can solo a levi, mino, fire tank, and bio tank together without dying. The wasps are the same.

I appreciate the desire to speed up Magicisle a bit. But this has gone from being my favourite map, to being one I'll just play once and a while for a dogfight or two.
I havn't played online as of yet, but I will admit I was concerned about the number of Raptors variants available. I had thought the original was going to have the existing Raptors replaced with Falcons, not just new variants added. I'm onboard with you Dom, it is one of my favourite maps as well and I can ensure all you original MI "lovers" that we will be very carefull with the end result.

I will not be putting the original back on for now so that we can get feedback on the new variant... in a few days I will initiate a poll and we'll go from there. Play it, and put your comments in here if you want a "say" in how the map develops.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
Illiander
Harmless little Fuzzball

Location: A small dark room that never sees the sun (untill my wife opens the curtains)

it's a compleatly different beast to the previous one, there's enough flyers lying around for everyone to have one, and there'll be one spare, if you hold all of your side (not the center nodes)

not that I don't like it, it's fun, but when that poll goes up carpe, make sure there's an option for both, as well as for one or the other.

sig by Pi
I do.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

Pulling rank here. This map is overtime and a lot of people hate it.

Its one or the other or a new beta, no mix.

Subtle changes on a map of this size is akin to moving the deck chairs on the titanic as it was heading to the bottom. Large scale changes are needed otherwise changes will barely be noticed.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Illiander
Harmless little Fuzzball

Gorz, a lot of people love it too <waves hand> there's a lot of people saying it should go to 15 mins before overtime, and to leave it at that. Whenever I've been playing, if V1 was avaidible, it'd be played within 5-6 games. That's about as popular as MTMU.

Ahh well, if you're so set on it, I don't suppose I can argue too much.

sig by Pi
I do.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

TankMeUp became a signature map of the server. And as such a duplicate of that is just barely acceptable. And even that draws the odd complaint. We cant have 2 versions of other maps I am afraid, especially not something like this which is inevitable drawn out OT. I am all for stripping out the armour and putting lots of King Hellhounds and Hellhounds in to balance the air, and also lots of fast scorps. They would be fun in this environment.

What do you all think?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Dinkledorf
Getting there...

Well, I still say that the only real problem with the original was the nullification of the Raptor by the Hellhound. Reduce the damage the Hellhound can do to make it a 1.25 shot Raptor kill (or something like that) and its good to go.

YeahI know, there is a separate thread for Hellhound vs Raptor discussions but this is in direct regards to this map.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Wulf
>:F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzakk View Post
TankMeUp became a signature map of the server. And as such a duplicate of that is just barely acceptable. And even that draws the odd complaint. We cant have 2 versions of other maps I am afraid, especially not something like this which is inevitable drawn out OT. I am all for stripping out the armour and putting lots of King Hellhounds and Hellhounds in to balance the air, and also lots of fast scorps. They would be fun in this environment.

What do you all think?
How about replacing those useless goliaths at the primaries with Ballistas? Their twinbeams will work well against fliers. I like the idea of scorps.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkledorf View Post
Well, I still say that the only real problem with the original was the nullification of the Raptor by the Hellhound. Reduce the damage the Hellhound can do to make it a 1.25 shot Raptor kill (or something like that) and its good to go.

YeahI know, there is a separate thread for Hellhound vs Raptor discussions but this is in direct regards to this map.
Was put to a vote and the request was denied. The raptors only have their standard tactic nerfed by the hellhound, as a vehicle it was still effective on this map.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337 View Post
only took 5 hours to take a 3' x 2' section of 10" concrete wall out of my basement...weee.
Remember, it's "right tool for the right job".
Dynamite, man. Concrete demands dynamite!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
Dom
Nubbin

I have the feeling that the main people complaining about how powerful the benders at 3/10 were, were the dopes flying straight down at the node and wondering why they were having a difficult time getting the node down. Anyone that has played that map enough should bloody well know that there are multiple ways to assault that node that completely nullifies the benders.

Bender ticking you off? fine, fly in from below and knock his arse out of it with some well aimed raptor ramming. Don't have a raptor and you're on foot? Fine, use the 30 or so teleport spots to duck in and out of various spots at the node.

Gor, I'm not sure why the slowness of the map became an issue, seeing as this map is voted to play by 90% of the people during the vote process the moment it becomes available. I'm sure that it's a sign that people like it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught