Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Default Announcing the 15th Anniversary Match Series

Hey everyone,

After having communication with Ema from CEONSS, I would like to announce the 15th Anniversary Match Series. In celebration of UT2k4's 15th anniversary, we plan to run 1-day game events approximately once every two weeks, with a focus on gametypes that no longer have regular player bases. This will hopefully give people the opportunity to re-experience these gametypes once again, for possibly the first time in years.

Gametypes of interest include:
  • Ballistic Conflict (Counter-Strike-like TDM)
  • Bombing Run
  • Dodgeball
  • Jailbreak

Other gametypes that still have some regular playerbase in Europe, but are no longer active in NA include:
  • Assault
  • Instagib CTF
  • Vehicle CTF

We haven't made any serious plans yet. If there are gametypes that people would like to see played, let us know. Our tentative plan is to have a bunch maps of one gametype on the server, and have "focus times" where we will try to have a high number of players.

Hope to see you at the matches, and thanks for keeping UT2k4 alive!

EDIT: I noticed that this is probably not the right subforum, but it's probably the most trafficked and I can't move the thread, so eh.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Rando
Just Registered

Love it! Any chance they can enable brightskins and the warmup mode for UTComp? That would be awesome if they could but no biggie if they can't! Thanks for all you do Mailbox!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Love it! Any chance they can enable brightskins and the warmup mode for UTComp? That would be awesome if they could but no biggie if they can't! Thanks for all you do Mailbox!
Certainly. Once we iron out what gametype we're doing first and who's hosting it, we can switch those out. Also, is there a particular gametype you'd like to see played first?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Certainly. Once we iron out what gametype we're doing first and who's hosting it, we can switch those out. Also, is there a particular gametype you'd like to see played first?
I'd vote for ictf or vctf but anything is fine with me!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Binger

Sorry but... meh. Maybe some vehicle DM would be fun. If I sat down to play and the Omni server was running something like Bombing Run I would be pretty disappointed.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
EmanReleipS
The Pancake Fairy

Quote:
What exactly does the WarmUp do?
If we are hosting it again on the CEONSS Match Server, that would be no problem at all. I'm gonna leave UTComp on it.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Sorry but... meh. Maybe some vehicle DM would be fun. If I sat down to play and the Omni server was running something like Bombing Run I would be pretty disappointed.
Yeah, I dun goofed in which subforum I put this in. I've gotten so used to Onslaught Subforum = the Forums, and as I mentioned I was pretty high strung at the time, so yeah, uh wasn't thinking it through. We do not intend on running these things on the OMNI ONS server. It would either be the CEONSS Event Server, or another server that's relevant to the gametype being played.

I've never seen vehicle DM before. Sounds interesting. Would you be able to point out some maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
If we are hosting it again on the CEONSS Match Server, that would be no problem at all. I'm gonna leave UTComp on it.
UTComp's warmup lets you play on the map without the match formally starting. All (or maybe some?) of the people need to ready up through UTComp's system (console command or a button in its menu). A bit nicer than the vanilla system.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
Let's you explore the maps and practice shooting etc before actually beginning the map (F5 ready in UTcomp to ready up).
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Binger

Quote:
Yeah, I dun goofed in which subforum I put this in. I've gotten so used to Onslaught Subforum = the Forums, and as I mentioned I was pretty high strung at the time, so yeah, uh wasn't thinking it through. We do not intend on running these things on the OMNI ONS server. It would either be the CEONSS Event Server, or another server that's relevant to the gametype being played.
Okay, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
I've never seen vehicle DM before. Sounds interesting. Would you be able to point out some maps?
It's been a long time since I played it on a server and I've lost all those old maps I extracted from cache. There is an actor you can place in a map which allows vehicles in DM gamemode. I have the actor (thanks to Turbo_K) if you want it. I use it sometimes on a simple box map to test vehicle edits. VTDM was a blast. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
BoFox
Getting there...

Anybody else know where the vehicle DM maps are?!? I wish I played those - never heard of it either! I think it's because it's a mod that it was never as popular as ONS, which was a standard mode. That would be a dream for me to play if it were popular!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Binger

I found a vehicle DM map on my PC. It's the d-day map (DM-{ABA-Ballistic}DDayOperationOverlord) if anyone remembers that. I also have a version of DM-Boardwalk (DM-{ABA-Ballistic}Boardwalk) that is set up for vehicles but all the slots are empty. I'll go through all my DM maps to see if I can find some more if anyone is interested.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #12
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I found a vehicle DM map on my PC. It's the d-day map (DM-{ABA-Ballistic}DDayOperationOverlord) if anyone remembers that. I also have a version of DM-Boardwalk (DM-{ABA-Ballistic}Boardwalk) that is set up for vehicles but all the slots are empty. I'll go through all my DM maps to see if I can find some more if anyone is interested.
Hey Binger,

I'm interested in investigating how these maps play, would you be able to point me to or supply a link to one of those maps? Miauz has some concerns over whether it'd play well, so I'd like to see how it plays.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Binger

Quote:
Hey Binger,

I'm interested in investigating how these maps play, would you be able to point me to or supply a link to one of those maps? Miauz has some concerns over whether it'd play well, so I'd like to see how it plays.
To be clear I'm not pushing for VDM maps as I probably won't even play in this series. It plays about like you think it would. Nothing surprising in VDM. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the map and how much effort a mapper puts into making it play well. I only remember three maps. The D-Day map here, which I didn't like because of the SPMAs. Then there was a weird map that is the one I first played VTDM on. It was actually Freon. The third I remember was my favorite but I don't have it either. It was a small open arena like DeathDome with a few partial walls scattered around. Mostly or all tanks that had a lot of health and, iirc, had a fast rate of fire. That was a blast.

Here is D-Day and Boardwalk. Like I said, all the vehicle slots on Boardwalk are empty but that can be easily changed if you want to try VTDM on that map. I don't know what server I got these maps from. It was like 10 years ago. Both of these us the actor called VDM_AI, which is the one I got from a vehicle warehouse type map that Turbo_K made. I also have two other VDM actors that I haven't tried. I know at least one of them is still available if you search for it. I think some or all of these will work with other gametypes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrjfptunq2vlthr/DM-%7BABA-Ballistic%7DDDayOperationOverlord.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6yi0iz08d...dwalk.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7tz98jkc5...rride.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idxhws2d0r...DM201.zip?dl=0

All you need to do for VDM_AI is put it in a DM map then add some vehicle factories. Vehicle paths would probably be good.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
BoFox
Getting there...

Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to make a vehicle DM map, and a vehicle Team DM map as well - BUT I have absolutely no clue where to start, lol. It'd be a steep learning curve for me. Perhaps it could be in ONS by using "disconnected" nodes, lol (where the nodes are not connected to the cores, and of course, the cores would just start counting down but the ultimate aim would be the PPH.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to make a vehicle DM map, and a vehicle Team DM map as well - BUT I have absolutely no clue where to start, lol. It'd be a steep learning curve for me. Perhaps it could be in ONS by using "disconnected" nodes, lol (where the nodes are not connected to the cores, and of course, the cores would just start counting down but the ultimate aim would be the PPH.

Change the prefix to DM-, add the VDM_AI actor and you're good to go.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught