Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
EmanReleipS
The Pancake Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
This is a major issue with me since Captain Gordons is a made over map we have on DW:ONS server I guess made by Captain Gordon.

Minus Nightwolf was a map mod my my friend night wolf and I no FOR A FACT Cat never contacted DW or Nightwolf. He asked for the all the contacts but never did and modded the map.

Really Really need to rethink this whole line of thought.

A map 100% made by Cat I could understand some discussion of ownership.

I don't know if Cat contacted the creators before his edits, but he did modify those maps before putting them on our server. In some cases (Gunshop, Legofort), he completely rebuilt the maps from scratch to improve the performance. If I understand it right, Bofox is not asking if he can edit our maps, he is asking if OMNI can use our custom edits (without any changes to them).
Old 03-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #22
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Not sure where you referencing to Joe, but the edits from "Minus" from Omni and CEONSS are total different. Here is an Edit from Turbo from Nightwolfs Edit in 2013: http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14228
And when you look at our forum, you will see that it started in 2015, we also have a topic about that in the hidden section which goes until it it is now. There are were hundrets of bugs which was fixed.

When you look at the 3 maps you will see that ours have nearly nothing in comman with the others anymore. And if you look on them in the editor you will see much more differences. The only thing left from NWs edit are the DW-Logo and the name as tribute. But if no one ever asked NW, what I don't think, and he comes over here and say "No I didn't want anyone to edit my version", I will myselve edit it again, purch the Logo, and name it just "Minus-ECE-C" as it is much closer to the original than to every other version. http://www.mapraider.com/maps/search.../ONS-Minus-ECE
No answere required btw.

------------------

Quote:
[...] lame.]
Read this: http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...85&postcount=1
------------------
Quote:
[...]Forgot to say thank you for sharing and optimizing for OMNI![...]
You're welcome.
------------------
Quote:
[...]hundreds of UT ONS maps out there on shares[...]
Exactly. Mapraider for example.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #23
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
Not sure where you referencing to Joe, but the edits from "Minus" from Omni and CEONSS are total different. Here is an Edit from Turbo from Nightwolfs Edit in 2013: http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14228
And when you look at our forum, you will see that it started in 2015, we also have a topic about that in the hidden section which goes until it it is now. There are were hundrets of bugs which was fixed.

When you look at the 3 maps you will see that ours have nearly nothing in comman with the others anymore. And if you look on them in the editor you will see much more differences. The only thing left from NWs edit are the DW-Logo and the name as tribute. But if no one ever asked NW, what I don't think, and he comes over here and say "No I didn't want anyone to edit my version", I will myselve edit it again, purch the Logo, and name it just "Minus-ECE-C" as it is much closer to the original than to every other version. http://www.mapraider.com/maps/search.../ONS-Minus-ECE
No answere required btw.

------------------

Read this: http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...85&postcount=1
------------------
You're welcome.
------------------
Exactly. Mapraider for example.
I read it. A post from 11 years ago. Do what you want but I think it is pretty silly for you to be taking that stance. Appreciate the work you have done though as I enjoy a lot of maps on CEONSS. For that you have my thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #24
joeblow
Just Registered

quote: Sorry, but I know for a fact that Cat does not want the sharing of any maps from our roster. end quote

this statement is what I was referring to.......

I going disagree here:

Minus tank me up C version has ALOT of changes... but that does not make it a totally different map. Same with Gordons.

My own personal opinion is maps are open source which is a whole another subject to get into.

Now your map Miauz Manta madness seems to be your design and yours alone. Unique. I can understand you would want control over what happens to the map. But what server uses it? no.

I might get into my mind to start a USA ONS server with all Cat maps and you can sue me for it
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #25
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

I may come across rude, that's not meant to, so sorry if so.
I accept everyones opinion, as long they accept my own as well.
You all are allways welcome.

The "C" stands for "CEONSS" not for "Cat" btw. Cat just made the most for CEONSS as he loved the server and the community there.

If the gentlemen agreements between server would be worth nothing anymore, you would kill the friendly community with that. As long as we are all try to keep the community tight together it will survive much longer. So do your part and at least stop this shit right now. If you want to do more than addvertise the game and the servers arround other platforms like facebook, twitter and so on, like I do it.
Thank you. Period.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #26
joeblow
Just Registered

Not that fun is it when someone dictates what hes going to do without considering others is it.?

It is absolutely NOT personal just a disagreement.

Maybe looking into copyrighting the CEONSS maps so they cant be "stolen" by terrible people like me.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Two bits:

This game is close to 15 years old now, an eternity in software. In the early days, a map-makers permission was always required
before altering a custom map, or a mapper had to try his hardest to contact original author. Additionally, there was quite a rigid
framework in place that negated the use of another servers custom map(s) without permission between the head honcho's (so to
speak).

Additionally, in those "glory" years, there was no shortage of players/servers/clans and a vague gentlemen's agreement existed as
to pilfering maps, and players. Omni is (perhaps) the only North American ONS server left running. CEONNS is in the same European
boat (I think?). There is zero chance that having CEONNS maps on Omni is going to pull players from Europe over to Omni, or visa-versa.
The limitations of signal path (ping and stable connection) dictate this. Maps in this game are open source now, as a few have alluded to,
there is no "right of use infringement" by anyone using anyone elses maps/creations. It is far more important now to maintain the playing
population than to avoid stepping on toes.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-13-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 AM   #28
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Two bits:

This game is close to 15 years old now, an eternity in software. In the early days, a map-makers permission was always required
before altering a custom map, or a mapper had to try his hardest to contact original author. Additionally, there was quite a rigid
framework in place that negated the use of another servers custom map(s) without permission between the head honcho's (so to
speak).

Additionally, in those "glory" years, there was no shortage of players/servers/clans and a vague gentlemen's agreement existed as
to pilfering maps, and players. Omni is (perhaps) the only North American ONS server left running. CEONNS is in the same European
boat (I think?). There is zero chance that having CEONNS maps on Omni is going to pull players from Europe over to Omni, or visa-versa.
The limitations of signal path (ping and stable connection) dictate this. Maps in this game are open source now, as a few have alluded to,
there is no "right of use infringement" by anyone using anyone elses maps/creations. It is far more important now to maintain the playing
population than to avoid stepping on toes.
x2

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-13-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #29
BoFox
Getting there...

Well said, Carpe Beast! Agreed all the way!

Personally, I'd just choose whatever map that is publicly available and host it if it is good enough, with the expectation that the map editor would at least be honored that we are popularizing the map. If the editor indeed asks us to remove it from the roster, THEN of course we could be kind enough to respect that request... That is how it should go, given the age and the popularity of ONS servers, IMHO.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #30
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Omni is (perhaps) the only North American ONS server left running.

Aren't DW and RMD both in North America? I hardly ever see anyone on DW (sadly) and occasionally there's 4 or 5 on RMD.

Quote:
Personally, I'd just choose whatever map that is publicly available and host it if it is good enough, with the expectation that the map editor would at least be honored that we are popularizing the map. If the editor indeed asks us to remove it from the roster, THEN of course we could be kind enough to respect that request... That is how it should go, given the age and the popularity of ONS servers, IMHO.

Good balance IMO. Maybe we should have a new map pack rotation every week or so, that is add 3-4 new maps (good or bad) and see how they play. None of them could be worse than Trench.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught