Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Any interest in a Minus version without PPC/Dragons?

I've been toying with the idea of editing a Minus map (Kamek maybe since it has the extended corners), and taking out IMO, the vehicles that ruin the map: PPCs and Dragons.

I hate the PPCs on Minus and want them gone.

The Dragons, I think could stay, but either add flyers to take them out, or jump pads at 8/9 to allow infantry on the roof to kill Camper Dragons.

But the real feel would be more tank vs. tank vs. blind PPC spamming (might mean Hurricanes go too).

Thoughts?

My map ed skills are weak but I think I can move vehicles around.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Enyo
Getting there...

I appreciate anyone taking initiative to do some map editing to keep things fresh, BUT...

And I truly mean no offense by this, my first thought is, "oh yay, ANOTHER Minus map!" (note sarcasm). I'd be OK with this as long as one of the other umpteen minus maps are deleted from the roster. It already feels like we're stuck in a perpetual minus, some other map, minus, some other map, minus cycle.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Binger

I cringe a little at the thought of editing Minus-Kamek because it's the closest we have to the old MTMU versions like Owner and Big-Al, however, I like your ideas. I would love to see the Hammerheads also removed. No flyers, no one on the buildings. I miss the old versions that were all about pushing lines of battle with tanks. Those were the best MTMU versions. Then there was the Evo versions for the experimental stuff.

I support Kamek without Dragons, PPCs, and Hurricanes. Remove Hammerheads, Hoverboards, and Suicide nukes and I would be thrilled. Then take out the Avrils and Lightning Guns and limit the Shock Rifle ammo and I would be ecstatic. Maybe use the old Mino?? Let me know if you need any help.

Enyo, I'm pretty sure he meant as a replacement. The reason we play Minus so much is because voting works. The reason we have 5 of them is because the MTMU server was taken down so that the main server wouldn't remain the ghost town that it became. But we've been through all this before. I wonder what would happen if I started an MTMU server?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I'd be cool with a toned-down version like binger has suggested.

Also perhaps some nitro hellbenders? Keep the battle on the ground but still be able to move somewhat quickly
Old 02-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
I'd be cool with a toned-down version like binger has suggested.

Also perhaps some nitro hellbenders? Keep the battle on the ground but still be able to move somewhat quickly

That sounds cool. I wasn't suggesting removing Badgers though. Which one is the Nitro bender?
Old 02-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
That sounds cool. I wasn't suggesting removing Badgers though. Which one is the Nitro bender?
It's in the racing servers, not sure if we have one. Where you press shift to get a rechargeable speed boost. We have nitro scorps for sure but I dont know about benders.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
I cringe a little at the thought of editing Minus-Kamek because it's the closest we have to the old MTMU versions like Owner and Big-Al, however, I like your ideas. I would love to see the Hammerheads also removed. No flyers, no one on the buildings. I miss the old versions that were all about pushing lines of battle with tanks. Those were the best MTMU versions. Then there was the Evo versions for the experimental stuff.

I support Kamek without Dragons, PPCs, and Hurricanes. Remove Hammerheads, Hoverboards, and Suicide nukes and I would be thrilled. Then take out the Avrils and Lightning Guns and limit the Shock Rifle ammo and I would be ecstatic. Maybe use the old Mino?? Let me know if you need any help.

Enyo, I'm pretty sure he meant as a replacement. The reason we play Minus so much is because voting works. The reason we have 5 of them is because the MTMU server was taken down so that the main server wouldn't remain the ghost town that it became. But we've been through all this before. I wonder what would happen if I started an MTMU server?
+10 Binger

I dislike Kamek so much I leave.

I appreciate all efforts people put into this game, but when something doesn't work, balancer for example, nobody wants to fix it or remove it.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
I miss the old versions that were all about pushing lines of battle with tanks. Those were the best MTMU versions.

Yes that was the idea.

I used to love the Minus maps, but now it turns into a Dragon camp 8/9 vs. PPC shelling vs. Mino in the Dognuts spot across the map. The current Mino might be a bit over-powered, but maybe add a bio or two, aegis. Or (gasp) even just remove the mino....but it is a fun tank.

Interesting idea with the nitro scorps, might be a good replacement for hoverboards, but gives fast vehicle to get to nodes.

Does anyone have a cross reference list of Vehicle Factory names to actual vehicles (eg. ONSHoverBike (in the editor) is the Manta)?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
It's in the racing servers, not sure if we have one. Where you press shift to get a rechargeable speed boost. We have nitro scorps for sure but I dont know about benders.
Ah, okay. I think I would prefer the Badgers. Benders get bounced around too much by tank fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post

Does anyone have a cross reference list of Vehicle Factory names to actual vehicles (eg. ONSHoverBike (in the editor) is the Manta)?

The stock ones can take a while to learn. Here's the summon list for everything. It should help...

Edit: wtf. The link keeps breaking. Google "UT2004 summon commands" and go to wiki.beyondunreal.com site.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #10
BoFox
Getting there...

You guys know the new "bio raptor" that shoots slime, from the MagicIsle map? It's called Venom MKII.. well, that would be awesome on Minus. Secondary fire homing missiles can do some good damage to dragons. The slime would quickly destroy a mino - so to keep it balanced, perhaps remove just one hoverboard from the core bases so there won't be too many guys trying to get on a top of mino and shoot slime at it.

Yeah, PPC's are boring and cheesy.. Spiders are way more fun. A spider instead of the PPC, all the way!!

By the way... why doesnt OMNI have so many of the cool tweaked maps over at CEONSS? Like the winter Tyrant map, and the heavily face-lifted MINUS map with gas stations and subway tunnels?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I appreciate anyone taking initiative to do some map editing to keep things fresh, BUT...

And I truly mean no offense by this, my first thought is, "oh yay, ANOTHER Minus map!" (note sarcasm). I'd be OK with this as long as one of the other umpteen minus maps are deleted from the roster. It already feels like we're stuck in a perpetual minus, some other map, minus, some other map, minus cycle.
The reason MTMU maps get voted in is because people like them. It's a small vocal minority that dislike them.

Quote:
... The reason we play Minus so much is because voting works...

Quote:

I'd be your biggest fan if you put an MTMU server back online. I'd play it until I puked, LOL! Why we had to get rid of the OMNI one, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
+10 Binger

I dislike Kamek so much I leave.

I appreciate all efforts people put into this game, but when something doesn't work, balancer for example, nobody wants to fix it or remove it.
I respect that Mr Crow. Sarge said it the best, "If you don't like a map, don't play it." I regularly go spectate mode when a map I don't care for comes up. If I'm not a fan, I'd rather leave or spec than play half heartedly.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
The reason MTMU maps get voted in is because people like them. It's a small vocal minority that dislike them.
I get that, and I don't dislike any of the MTMU maps. In fact, there's only maybe 4 or 5 maps in the whole roster that I dislike enough to leave, that ill-conceived Trench map being one. Thankfully it's so bad it never gets voted.

But, I like variety in map play and I know I'm not the only one. I get bored and sometimes leave if 3 out of 4 maps voted in a row are MTMU variations. We used to have much more variety in what got voted, but since the server has shed a lot of its old members in recent months/years it seems a lot of the players left want the comfort of a familiar map. There should be a balance of map rotation to appease both rinse-and-repeat players and players like me, and the only way to achieve that is not having too many slightly different variations of the same maps.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught