Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
GuyThat42069sU
Just Registered

Default Thank you for keeping onslaught alive

I've played Ut2k4 since the demo release when I was in college. 17 years later, it's amazing the game is as good as it was back then. Thank you to everyone at omnipotents for their hard work in keeping the legacy alive.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
nautikal
Just Registered

Cheers! Similar story for me as well
Old 01-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Rando
Getting there...

Yes, same here. Wish it was just stock onslaught but happy just to be able to still play!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

We do have a few maps close to stock (ECE) onslaught, but they never get voted...
Old 01-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
We do have a few maps close to stock (ECE) onslaught, but they never get voted...
I enjoy the OG maps like Primeval, but if we ever play Torlan again I am sticking windowsx64 in my recycling bin
Old 01-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Another plug for stock primeval to be added
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Another plug for stock primeval to be added
+1. Would love to see stock crossfire or even better Dawn/Dria as well. The stock maps just have so much better balance.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

There's a primeval variant on there, its bigger but pretty close to the original in feel.
Some of the maps we play are more what I'd call Amusement (Kitchensink, Spambox) vs. true balance. Others are fairly balanced, but given the nature of some of the vehicles, eg. Mino, Hurricane, Falcon and others, in the hands of skilled player they can really dominate a map... whereas you can only do so much in a Hellbender or Goalith. Most of the maps are pretty symmetrical in layout and vehicles so its the team that usually unbalances it. I'd also counter that if you had weaker vehilces and say stock Primeval.... I wouldn't want to face a team of the more skilled DMers (Enyo, SK10H, Tater, Rando,Xexx etc) with some scorps and a bender...it would quickly get unbalanced.
It all depends on the team. The other night we played Kitchensink with the "Confusion" layout, where the four nodes connect to the near core primary (7 in our case). We lost 7, and not only got it back, we went on to win the match...doesn't happen often and requires timing and teamwork.
Once the new server is setup, I am happy to add a few stock maps and we can play them and see. I also think that some of the older versions, notably for Dawn and Crossfire, played better than the ones on there now. Its a tough thing for the map editors--you never know exactly how its going to play with real players.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
I wouldn't want to face a team of the more skilled DMers (Enyo, SK10H, Tater, Rando,Xexx etc) with some scorps and a bender...it would quickly get unbalanced.
It all depends on the team.
Once the new server is setup, I am happy to add a few stock maps and we can play them and see. I also think that some of the older versions, notably for Dawn and Crossfire, played better than the ones on there now. Its a tough thing for the map editors--you never know exactly how its going to play with real players.
Maybe up the health on the scorpions / benders? I almost never get in them and feel like I never die from them either... I can always dodge away / easily kill them with triple rockets. Also if it ever gets unbearably unfair with DM'ers on one team I'm happy to switch, I've done it a couple times before; I don't care if I win or lose most of the time, as long as it's a more or less fair game then it's fun to me... obliterating the enemy team isn't fun.
+1 to Crossfire, I miss that map.
When I first played UT and sucked at the game I remember Adara, such a nice looking map. Idk how it played out fairness-wise but it was really cool... also (not an official map) Iguazu comes to mind when thinking of great looking maps. I remember playing that a ton at one point, had one of the first helicopters I think.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Yeah Adara is another one that I don't like the edit currently on the server as much as previous ones...

There's a crossfire version on the server I believe right now...

Iguazu, there was version of that with boats too if I am thinking of the same map...
Old 01-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
Iguazu, there was version of that with boats too if I am thinking of the same map...
I only remember the old RMD version with the really old Helicopter (I don't think it has blades but it looks like a heli) and the node runners, it'd make sense if it had boats though. I think it's a super cool map that we should bring back tbh. A real pretty map compared to a lot of regular looking maps like nevermore, mtmu, dria etc.

(Dria from what I remember used to have a really cool sky I think in the stock version, in the newer versions it's honestly a little depressing lol. I think it's to go with the snow-ish look of the map, still a downgrade someone made a long time ago IMO)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I only remember the old RMD version with the really old Helicopter (I don't think it has blades but it looks like a heli) and the node runners, it'd make sense if it had boats though. I think it's a super cool map that we should bring back tbh. A real pretty map compared to a lot of regular looking maps like nevermore, mtmu, dria etc.

(Dria from what I remember used to have a really cool sky I think in the stock version, in the newer versions it's honestly a little depressing lol. I think it's to go with the snow-ish look of the map, still a downgrade someone made a long time ago IMO)
Yeah it's a giant too, there's a massive version in the Monster Evolution server that takes like two hours for the team to get through
Old 01-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Yep Iguazu, there's a version that has "updrafts" so you can jump/float up to the higher levels. I seem to remember looking at it, it might have been the SVE (Spam Vikings Edition from Death Warrant) and I am not going to use maps from Servers that are still running without permission.

I'll bet it won't get much play here, as much as I like it too, as its a fairly complex node layout and it seems most players prefer straight, flat maps. Ones with complex or multilevel node layouts tend to confuse. Its really a case of learning, IMO. People complained about Bionynx about how it was confusing...well duh! its a new map, learn it. Dognuts didn't find his spot the first day. But I will look into it.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #14
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Yep Iguazu, there's a version that has "updrafts" so you can jump/float up to the higher levels. I seem to remember looking at it, it might have been the SVE (Spam Vikings Edition from Death Warrant) and I am not going to use maps from Servers that are still running without permission.

I'll bet it won't get much play here, as much as I like it too, as its a fairly complex node layout and it seems most players prefer straight, flat maps. Ones with complex or multilevel node layouts tend to confuse. Its really a case of learning, IMO. People complained about Bionynx about how it was confusing...well duh! its a new map, learn it. Dognuts didn't find his spot the first day. But I will look into it.
Yeah I think with a 2-D HUD map this is how it is. Whenever people have to search vertically then it gets weird.

If I remember correctly, pushing the M or N buttons makes that flying colored puff of smoke go to the next available node but I dont think anyone uses it.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:36 AM   #15
GuyThat42069sU
Just Registered

I decided to look at the classic ONS maps... Wow!! I completely forgot some of these that I played in competition frequently but haven't touched in years like arctic stronghold and frostbite.

It would be nice to play some of those old ones again but I realize the player base probably wouldn't go for it.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #16
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyThat42069sU View Post
I decided to look at the classic ONS maps... Wow!! I completely forgot some of these that I played in competition frequently but haven't touched in years like arctic stronghold and frostbite.

It would be nice to play some of those old ones again but I realize the player base probably wouldn't go for it.
I would love that as well. What name did you play under in competition(TWL?)?
Old 01-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #17
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:

I think there's a version of Arctic on the server now..

Yep we have some finicky players..lol. Mostly the popular maps are tank heavy, and the smaller DM type matches don't get as much play. That being said, maybe a few tweaks to the classic maps would help. Those maps are also smaller, so sometimes they don't play as well with 32p, but are good when the server is less loaded and would work nice for 6v6 or so.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
GuyThat42069sU
Just Registered

I played on uMA (unreal mental atrophy) and UAL (unreal ars league). One of the clans we went up against and lost to constantly was KoNA (killers of North America). This was in 2004-2006 I believe.

We also played a lot of TDM elimination (maybe it's considered battle royale these days?) with great mutators designed for registering hits and increasing visibility. Everyone started with full weapons and ammo.

Then I was in medical school and post med school residency, but still found time to be on the omnipotents server (and spam vikings?) from 2013 onwards.

Now I have kids and way less time, but man is it great to be back in ONS in the evenings. I'm so glad other players are online almost 7 days a week!!
Old 01-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #19
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyThat42069sU View Post
I played on uMA (unreal mental atrophy) and UAL (unreal ars league). One of the clans we went up against and lost to constantly was KoNA (killers of North America). This was in 2004-2006 I believe.

We also played a lot of TDM elimination (maybe it's considered battle royale these days?) with great mutators designed for registering hits and increasing visibility. Everyone started with full weapons and ammo.

Then I was in medical school and post med school residency, but still found time to be on the omnipotents server (and spam vikings?) from 2013 onwards.

Now I have kids and way less time, but man is it great to be back in ONS in the evenings. I'm so glad other players are online almost 7 days a week!!
I'm sure we played together back then. I played as Pool{6lo}. What was your in game name?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #20
GuyThat42069sU
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I'm sure we played together back then. I played as Pool{6lo}. What was your in game name?
I've been trying to get rid of my old user name for many years, just did a Google search and it's still there with the same old cringy 18-22 year-old nerd stuff I'm still embarrassed about.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught