Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Default MTMU map strategy observation

You lost your left primary. The enemy controls your left secondary and the middle of the map node. They control your right secondary. Itís hopeless, but you still have a right primary.

Why are your team mates trying to build the left primary at this point?

I see this every time I play this map. Itís a double front to the left. The best I can say is keep the left primary from locking into the enemy hands. Thatís an easy shot from the core. Everyone else should focus on your right primary, hope to gain control of the right secondary, then maybe regain control of the map. But over and over I see and hear people going out of the core to the left, FFS?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Some players keep doing the same things over and over, even if they are of marginal strategic value. It just hurts the team. The best teams are the ones that coordinate.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
duh
www.gotse.cx

I build it if I'm there after taking down the opposing team's node. I'm there anyways and gonna die in seconds..why not mess with the other team while I'm there? It draws off some of their attention to deal with it too.

But if that node is already down I don't run over there.

Really, though, if you're down to those two nodes does it really matter?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
I build it if I'm there after taking down the opposing team's node. I'm there anyways and gonna die in seconds..why not mess with the other team while I'm there? It draws off some of their attention to deal with it too.

But if that node is already down I don't run over there.

Really, though, if you're down to those two nodes does it really matter?
No offense, but this is a prime example of not understanding the map. Yes, it absolutely matters. The left primary closest to the core is nearly impossible to build at that point, and it literally takes only one tank/PPC from the core to suppress the enemy from building it. Nobody should be going to that node to destroy or build it, so you shouldn't "already be there."

Everyone but the guy suppressing that node should be at the right secondary (8/9) to help build it. That node connects to 2 nodes, one on each side of the map. You take those down, and you now have control of the map despite not owning the left primary. At that point, you can work on getting the left primary back because the enemy is now focusing on the two secondary nodes they just lost.

This is long-standing basic strategy for MTMU, and I'm with McLovin in being completely dumbfounded how people can't understand simple concepts like this after 15 years playing this game. Understanding map strategy is far more important than the ability to kill in onslaught, and that's why a team with me, Sarge, Spoon, Xexx, Army, Pooty (fill in any "good" player) will dominate a map. By "good player" I mean those that understand the best map strategies.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Forgotten strategy in this moment:

Drive a god damn Aegis/Paladin to your right primary. There are usually more than one available, and it's a short commute. It'll buy your team time to build the node and take down the secondary. The timing of building the primary AND taking down the secondary usually comes down to a razor margin of time, and the shield tank can swing that plenty in your favor (especially if your mino or PPC is in position to hit the secondary).
Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
No offense, but this is a prime example of not understanding the map. Yes, it absolutely matters. The left primary closest to the core is nearly impossible to build at that point, and it literally takes only one tank/PPC from the core to suppress the enemy from building it. Nobody should be going to that node to destroy or build it, so you shouldn't "already be there."

Yup, yup...You are correct that people should be covering it from the core but that doesn't always happen when people are driving all the tanks to the right primary. Sometimes I look over there and see the primary up or almost up. It only takes two enemies to charge that node and then you have a threat from the left. I do this all the time in the opposing situation.

Quote:

This is long-standing basic strategy for MTMU, and I'm with McLovin in being completely dumbfounded how people can't understand simple concepts like this after 15 years playing this game.

That's why I answered McLovin's question...so you can understand. A lot of times when you're not getting support where you'd like it you're not seeing what is going on at other nodes. There's tactical and strategic facets to ONS. That's what makes it so fun.

Quote:
Yes, it absolutely matters.

I know...I was just being silly.....

Quote:

Everyone but the guy suppressing that node should be at the right secondary (8/9) to help build it. That node connects to 2 nodes, one on each side of the map. You take those down, and you now have control of the map despite not owning the left primary. At that point, you can work on getting the left primary back because the enemy is now focusing on the two secondary nodes they just lost.

I know that, you know that, but noobs don't. I wish we had a way to hold a "Master's Course" in ONS so noobs could work with veterans like you, but with less pressure to win. Tuesdays used to be a good night for us "lesser" players to drive the mino and play with tactics without blowing an important game with our noobiness. Server traffic has dropped to the point where that's not happening much anymore.

Also, I've said this before, a 30 second pre-round pause would be great for planning out strategy so everyone knows where to go.

Quote:
that's why a team with me, Sarge, Spoon, Xexx, Army, Pooty (fill in any "good" player) will dominate a map.

How come I'm not on that list?????
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Default Depends on the MTMU map

The couple times it can make sense:
  1. Random MTMU and that node spawns a Dragon, and the enemy is not paying attention.
  2. The MTMU w the shield node.

That's about it. If it's the vanilla MTMU... yeah, it make no sense. The enemy ion is already set to take it down in one shot... so you aren't even gaining anything to touch it and die... and not much of a distraction.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught