Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Default Do you take the same vehicles?

Read this and it got me to thinking about something I wanted to ask.

"I took the dragon" notices I dont mind either. I think it prevents people from wasting time spawning there to see if it's available. - YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Do you take the same vehicles?

Some behaviors Iíve noticed of myself and others.

Scale of honor:
0. The typical vehicle camper. Waits for their favorite vehicle. Gets pissy if someone else is also waiting. Engages in a brawl between teammates over it and/or known to steal it from teammates. (Highest level of douchiness.)
1. Spawns between nodes searching for that one favorite vehicle that will do.
2. Some players take whatever vehicle is available. Some are dumb, for example, a slow tank at the core, but the nearest node of conflict is ĺ way across the map. Dumb, dumb, dumbÖ
3. Some players take whatever vehicle is available and make the best of it. They practice their skill set in what is available, within reason, they are sorta ambidextrous when it comes to using vehicles effectively.

Myself: I prefer to take fast-movers, if I can. Iíll fuck you up with the hoverboard, push your ass into the wall or the ditch, u mino whore. Depending on the map or situations, Iím not the first one to take the mino. The last vehicle Iíll choose is a slow-moving tank, if I can help it. Sometimes thatís all there is.

Opinions?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Rando
Just Registered

I tend to take the vehicles I'm stronger in(railgun tank, ballista) because otherwise I feel like I'm wasting it for someone who is better in it. It's rare I camp vehicles, maybe the mino on redplanet on occasion bc the respawn time is so quick.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I suck at sniper/hitscan tanks so I usually would go for slow, big damage tanks instead... fire, bio, mino, ion. I dont like the PPC though.

I'd take the mino if it were up and give it a try. There are people better than me at it, but I figured it's better if I have it instead of some beginner. I often let someone else have it if I know they'll do a better job.

Vechiles I pretty much always take if they're available:
Hammerheads - Any map. They rule once you learn how to maneuver.
Hover Badger - Basically a mini Hammerhead
Ion Tank - TanksALot. I'd set the timer and make sure to be the jerk who always has it. After a while I think I had it figured out pretty well.
Wasp - Overpowered goodness. I think this is the ultimate node-controlling vehicle with the Short Circuit being a close 2nd.
Crusader - Hugely underrated vehcile. Awesome against infantry as it sends them flying. Puts tanks in a helpless retreat. Can heal itself. Sometimes the only thing that can get your primary node back.
Hellbender variants - Great for charging into an enemy node. Nothing like crashing the party with a huge shock combo. Great flyswatter too.
Link Tank 2.0 - I think people don't realize this thing has three seats, so other than its low HP, it's quite powerful as well as great support.
Skateboard - Gets the job done, can give rides
EONS Scorp - Speed boost is super helpful. Also good for ramming.

Vehicles I don't care for:
Levi/Tiamat - Sitting duck unless helped
Basic Goliath - Unless playing an old map
Turret Tank (Centaur?) - Glitchy but decent for defending a node in MTMU
Cobra - Great for surprise close range shots but other than that it's weak
Alligator - Only good for ambush, which is rarely an option
PPC - random aim is annoying. To spammy
Heat ray paladin - It has its moments, but far to vulnerable to other tanks
Most Scorpion variants - They're too fast for their own good and sometimes the steering/mometum gets out of whack.

Honorable mention:
Turtle. Cheapest weapon in the game. During the final push to take their primaries, I will drive this thing up onto the enemy core platform and spam if I get the chance (in Desert Junkyard). I've only pulled it off a handful of times but the opposing team rage is glorious.

Dishonorable mention:
Hoverbadger 2.0 or whatever. The coffin mobile. Nerfed badger or whatever.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:24 AM   #4
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Spider: Love this vehicle. It's slow, vulnerable, hard to steer, gotta keep your eyes on your ass. Perfect for anti-air. But the best part is those gravity bombs. If you are douche enough to gravity bomb the enemy core with it, all the hits translate to everything above on the vertical floors, like getting 3 for 1. You haven't lived until you gravity bombed an undeployed Krackin. One of the funniest things you can witness is seeing that monstrosity spinning in the air, it's funny shit man!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Enyo
Getting there...

I like a lot of different vehicles, but which ones I prefer depends on the map. Which vehicle I take is also often dictated by the current situation. If my team is doing fine and there's no urgency to get a node down, I'll jump through several nodes to find something I like. If the other team is actively building a critical node, like 8/9 on MTMU, and no fast and/or powerful core vehicles are available, I'll warp into 3/4 and grab the badger, cobra or even centaur, whatever's available to get to 8/9 as fast as possible.

Love the falcon, it can dominate on any map in the right hands. I will camp it some on Red Planet (if I just died in it) because the respawn is super fast, something like 20 sec, and it can make a huge difference if someone skilled with the falcon gets it versus some tool that has no clue how to use it. It's the best neutralizer for the mino.

I definitely prefer flyers over ground vehicles for speed and air superiority. I think that's why Slated is one of my fav maps... people that don't like using flyers (I honestly don't understand why not) hate Slated.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
...people that don't like using flyers (I honestly don't understand why not) ...
It's just way easier to operate in 2 dimensions as opposed to 3 dimensions. 3 takes talent and more skill, so not my favorite, cause I'm bad at it.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

I love the Pulse Traitor on Panalesh. It's so much fun sucking the flyers in towards me - pretty much taking control of their vehicles. You can even aim nearly straight up vertically into the sky from first person view. It also has great HP (450 or 500HP, can't remember). One drawback is that it makes them want to eject from their vehicles by the time they realize they have no control, so I usually don't get multiple points for destroying the occupied vehicles (the map doesn't give points for partial damage (like one point per 200-250HP) before destroying the vehicle, unlike many other maps). It's still fun to draw in players toward me at high-enough speed that they are decapitated (ok, I'm imagining things a bit too much, lol).. I can turn the aim around nearly instantly, just like in the shock manta, for that DM-style feel.

It's fun enough that I just let Enyo get all the PPH by destroying the nodes while I take care of every flying vehicle that I see. It can make the Dragon spin around at way more than 100rpm - exceeding the critical threshold of 1 rotation per second for the Gemini astronauts that barely made it.

Spider... wow, like McLovin said, I haven't lived because I don't think I ever successfully gravity-bombed a Levi or a Kraken! I love the Spider as well. It should replace the PPC on the ordinary MTMU maps (while I'd also like to see a bio-Raptor replace one of the hoverboards as well). On some maps, the mino dominates just too much - even it's not fun for me if it's too easy.

Falcon.. it's also one of the best node-destroyers with far higher primary firing rate than mantas. Enyo was always the node-attacker first and foremost, so naturally he's married to the Falcon. The acceleration is insane - I wonder what the G's are.. probably more than 3 G's (not considering additional vertical gravity), or at least greater than Formula 1 racing cars, along with vastly more 3D maneuverability than any real-world vehicle that we have in the sky.

I don't have the patience for most of the vehicles that are too slow.. Cobra, PPC, Paladin, Basilisk - sometimes I'm missing out on the advancing fronts if I can't catch up with them.

Quote:
Turtle. Cheapest weapon in the game. During the final push to take their primaries, I will drive this thing up onto the enemy core platform and spam if I get the chance (in Desert Junkyard). I've only pulled it off a handful of times but the opposing team rage is glorious.
I'd get kicked if I did that (and banned if doing it again)!

Last edited by BoFox; 04-25-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Old 04-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Spider: Love this vehicle. It's slow, vulnerable, hard to steer, gotta keep your eyes on your ass. Perfect for anti-air. But the best part is those gravity bombs. If you are douche enough to gravity bomb the enemy core with it, all the hits translate to everything above on the vertical floors, like getting 3 for 1. You haven't lived until you gravity bombed an undeployed Krackin. One of the funniest things you can witness is seeing that monstrosity spinning in the air, it's funny shit man!
How do those grav bombs work? I could never figure them out
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #9
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
How do those grav bombs work? I could never figure them out
You shoot them from the second seat in the spider.

Come to think of it, I couldn't tell ya how to switch seats off the top of my head, I just do the keystrokes from muscle memory, haha!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

2nd seat alt or main fire? Do you have to hold it down?

Not that it matters anymore for me. I seem to remember trying to figure it out but I must have been just button mashing.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Yeah, 2nd seat primary fire (alt fire is to zoom in, just like first seat in goliath - no holding down the button). The range is limited, though - the projectile just disappears less than maybe 2 blocks away.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught