Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
Howlin_Mad
Just Registered

Well Yeah,

It's been a long time. I took a long break after my son was born and maybe that's all you need for now is a break. No matter what happens in the future, I just want to say that it has been an honor and a privilege to have spent as much time together as we have. I wish you all of the best and more. As you had implied, for a game from 2004, Unreal has lasted probably longer than even the original writers had projected. As for me, I will still put in some hours now and then as time permits. Probably until the servers are removed. I hope that one day we might look forward to another match together. Best regards and always best wishes. HM
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
Binger

Sorry to see you go, dude. Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #23
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin_Mad View Post
Well Yeah,

It's been a long time. I took a long break after my son was born and maybe that's all you need for now is a break. No matter what happens in the future, I just want to say that it has been an honor and a privilege to have spent as much time together as we have. I wish you all of the best and more. As you had implied, for a game from 2004, Unreal has lasted probably longer than even the original writers had projected. As for me, I will still put in some hours now and then as time permits. Probably until the servers are removed. I hope that one day we might look forward to another match together. Best regards and always best wishes. HM
Thanks howlin! Yeah crazy how that works... meet random people behind screen names and interact for years...

And right back at you with all those nice things! Yeah I remember distinctly thinking "hmm howlin is back from a long break" and glad to see a consistently good dude back in the game.

We'll cross paths again I'm sure. I even found this forum once looking for long lost UMG folks... where there's a will there's a way I guess
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-you-out-there
I'll still be combing through these forums for a while at least.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #24
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Sorry to see you go, dude. Hope everything goes well for you.
Thanks Binger. Things are good for the most part, just overwhelmingly busy. Luckly that's all!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Even though I've been awol for years, it always saddens me when, to quote Queen, another one bites the dust in
the )o( community.

This place has always been special and will be (I hope) one of the last servers hanging on by it's tattered fingernails.
You sir, contributed to that specialness, and will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post

Anyway, just rambling random thoughts. The kicker for me was looking at all that time in hindsight and thinking if I had spent that on other things I might be more satisfied. That being said this server is still awesome and I've had a great time.
I've felt that way occasionally as well. But life is also about doing the things you love, and for me UT has been one
of those things. I don't play any other PC games and when (hopefully many many more years) UT2K4 does go the
way of the dodo bird it will be the end of my gaming "career". I commend your resolve to move along, pretty sure
I couldn't do that.

I envy your musical talents. Be well, and best of luck with your walk down the road of life...

CD

Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I don't play any other PC games and when (hopefully many many more years) UT2K4 does go the
way of the dodo bird it will be the end of my gaming "career".
Career, lol... hey there are some mind-blowingly awesome games other than UT2k4. Don't be that dodo bird - learn to evolve and adapt!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #27
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Career, lol... hey there are some mind-blowingly awesome games other than UT2k4....
I could ban you for that comment....

Nah, way too much else in life to enjoy for this old dawg. That being said, I know UT2K4 will live on for at least a decade
(Freon at HoC will anyway). But you're right, never say never.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #28
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Even though I've been awol for years, it always saddens me when, to quote Queen, another one bites the dust in
the )o( community.

This place has always been special and will be (I hope) one of the last servers hanging on by it's tattered fingernails.
You sir, contributed to that specialness, and will be missed.

I've felt that way occasionally as well. But life is also about doing the things you love, and for me UT has been one
of those things. I don't play any other PC games and when (hopefully many many more years) UT2K4 does go the
way of the dodo bird it will be the end of my gaming "career". I commend your resolve to move along, pretty sure
I couldn't do that.

I envy your musical talents. Be well, and best of luck with your walk down the road of life...

CD
Thanks carpe! And yeah this has been pretty much the last game I'll ever play aside from an occasional session of dusting off my SNES. New games just don't do it for me, not even FPS ones. Something about the the movement or the way they play seems padded... like you're playing out a movie or something instead of a game.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #29
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
I know UT2K4 will live on for at least a decade
(Freon at HoC will anyway). But you're right, never say never.
No way ONS will live that long, if there are no more new maps for it. I won't be playing the same marathon matches forever. We used to have several new maps each year at the beginning of the decade. Last year, there was maybe 1 SLIGHTLY edited map? A doctor could tell you that ONS is having stage 4 cancer now.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #30
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
No way ONS will live that long, if there are no more new maps for it. I won't be playing the same marathon matches forever. We used to have several new maps each year at the beginning of the decade. Last year, there was maybe 1 SLIGHTLY edited map? A doctor could tell you that ONS is having stage 4 cancer now.
There's plenty of maps available the problem is that they don't ever get voted. Honestly, I'd kill to have a stock server to play ONS on but alas those days appear to be gone for good.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #31
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Thanks carpe! And yeah this has been pretty much the last game I'll ever play aside from an occasional session of dusting off my SNES. New games just don't do it for me, not even FPS ones. Something about the the movement or the way they play seems padded... like you're playing out a movie or something instead of a game.
Exactly ! UT2K4 is the perfect blend of realism/cartoon imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
There's plenty of maps available the problem is that they don't ever get voted. Honestly, I'd kill to have a stock server to play ONS on but alas those days appear to be gone for good.
I can't tell you how many times I tried getting "retro" weekends going. Stock ONS maps/vehicles had their issues, but
in the end they were always the most fun maps to play. But hey, I'm and old dawg...

Old 03-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Exactly ! UT2K4 is the perfect blend of realism/cartoon imo.

I can't tell you how many times I tried getting "retro" weekends going. Stock ONS maps/vehicles had their issues, but
in the end they were always the most fun maps to play. But hey, I'm and old dawg...

Old dog here too. What I wouldn't give to play in clan matches and pick up games again. Strategy and communication was such a huge part of competitive ONS and really can't be replicated on a public server. The intensity just isn't there for me on these new maps. There's just too much downtime in driving vehicles across the map etc where in stock ONS you could just dive right in. Didn't matter what vehicle you were in or if you were on foot, you always had a chance to win against any player in a vehicle whereas with some of these newer vehicles you have zero chance of winning the battle i.e. goliath vs Mino etc. Don't get me wrong it's still fun and appreciate the server but it's just not "my ons" if ya know what I mean.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #33
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Same. Other games I've tried just feel too slow and the movement too boring. Here's to somehow there being a big comeback for 2k4 lol
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #34
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
... but it's just not "my ons" if ya know what I mean.

Exactly.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #35
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Quote:
Same. Other games I've tried just feel too slow and the movement too boring. Here's to somehow there being a big comeback for 2k4 lol
Same here. I've played a bunch of other games online (Dota 2, Tribes Ascend, Natural Selection 2, Overwatch) over the past years and enjoyed them, but UT2k4 is the only one I still come back to every now and then, even if there are many months between my visits.

There is something strangely compelling about how UT2k4 and especially Onslaught, while being a team game, still gives individual players so much agency over the outcome of a fight. Other games don't really have those "David vs. Goliath" moments where a single player can have a spark of brilliance and take out a tank or several enemies in an outnumbered situation or sneak behind enemy lines and cut off their supply chain. Or at least not without tools that are explicitly designed to create such moments (via "ultimate abilities" in some games), which make them feel less awesome. Making an important play in ONS feels rewarding in itself, without requiring the game to shove on-screen appreciation in your face and fueling your motivation via accolades.

That does not mean that we should not look at those other games and perhaps learn from them. But in my opinion, maps and mods should try to focus on creating opportunities where individual players can feel like they are having an impact and helping the team, without being boring or unfair to the other team.

(Also, we have a UT2k4 lan party at my work place once every year. I was overjoyed when I learned that after starting to work there. It also gives me an excuse to spend some time every year in the game for "training". After all, this game pretty much started my programming career, so it will always have a special place in my heart. And as an "expert" in the game, even if it's only on the creative side, I feel like I have a reputation to maintain by mopping the floor with my coworkers. )
Old 03-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #36
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post

(Also, we have a UT2k4 lan party at my work place once every year. I was overjoyed when I learned that after starting to work there. It also gives me an excuse to spend some time every year in the game for "training". After all, this game pretty much started my programming career, so it will always have a special place in my heart. And as an "expert" in the game, even if it's only on the creative side, I feel like I have a reputation to maintain by mopping the floor with my coworkers. )
Man I miss LAN parties. That's how I got into this game, playing ut99 in my high school computer lab. It was crazy, we'd have 20-30 people in at the same time.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #37
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

The good thing is that our computers at work don't have enough GPU power for modern games, so UT2k4 is probably bound to remain the LAN game of choice for years to come. It runs smooth as silk.

CoD 4: MW on the other hand, which we tried last year, only got about 20 fps on lowest details (and on highest as well, so it seemed to be CPU bound). People didn't enjoy it nearly as much as UT.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #38
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
You are NOT the only one who feels that way, man. I tried other FPS games. Something about the movement, the GUI or other that makes me get ill looking at the screen, yet UT2K4 never bothered me, and the game play with the double dodge- made/makes it ultra fun to play
Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #39
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sarge View Post
You are NOT the only one who feels that way, man. I tried other FPS games. Something about the movement, the GUI or other that makes me get ill looking at the screen, yet UT2K4 never bothered me, and the game play with the double dodge- made/makes it ultra fun to play
This goes back a ways... but for me I always think of the difference between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64....

In the original there was a little bit of assistance in that the bots in the lead would slow down a little for you to catch up, and the ones behind you would pester you. The item randomizer was truly random and didn't give a shit what place you were in. Enough to keep the game fun. If you were skilled enough, you could still tear it up and earn a good 1st place.

In Mario Kart 64 it was incredibly padded to the point where if you were in the lead you were bombarded by enemies, but also if you were behind the pack then you always seemed to draw the most powerful weapons (not to mention the addition of the BS blue shell). It kept action on the screen at all times, but it felt forced and that your mistakes or success didn't really matter.

Sometimes I wonder what this game would be like if it became trendy today and were flooded with obsessive school/college aged kids who played 30 hours a week a la Fortnite or CS Go with tons of full servers every night. Would they even like it? Would they think it was too hard? Would they get sucked in like us? I feel like graphics dont seem to matter anymore since Minecraft.

I'm sure a lot of us would be in the "get off my lawn" category...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament