Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Ion Painter no longer works for me..

I can't seem to get the Ion Painter to work...I can pick up the weapon, zoom, fire and get the "targeting" beam, but it never actually calls in the ION strike for me. Seems to be broken for me on every map.

Tried deleting my cache, but there must be something else broken...any ideas?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
provert
Just Registered

I know it won't work if you try too close or too far away. I've had several instances of it doing exactly what you described, mostly on the minustankmeup maps, but I think those are the only maps I try to use it. Sometimes I can get it to work by moving slightly and trying again, sometimes it doesn't. Just don't try too many times from the same place because they can see to beam and follow it to you.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Looking at the code, the following conditions must be given:
- The targeted spot must be level geometry.
- The targeted spot must not differ by more than 50 UU per tick from its previous position.
- The targeted spot must have line of sight to the sky directly above it. More specifically, the point against which it checks has the X and Y coordinates of the targeted spot on the ground and the Z coordinate of the Ion Cannon actor that is placed in the level. Since levels in UT2004 don't actually have hand-placed Ion Cannon actors anymore (and those that did in UT2003 have the actor hidden), the first use of the Ion Painter will spawn a (hidden) Ion Cannon 2000 UU above its current location.

In other words: you need to have roughly 2000 UU clear sky above the targeted spot, but the exact amount depends on the height where the first player in the map started firing the painter. (For reference: player height is 88 UU and the running speed is 440 UU/s)

Other fun facts about the Ion Painter:
- Bots will fear the inner 40% of the maximum damage radius of the explosion while you paint the target spot. So it's possible to aim in a way that will still hit bots but not make them flee.
- Once the explosion starts hitting, bots will fear the whole 100% of the explosion radius while it goes off.
- The explosion takes place in several intervals:
0.0s: Bots immediately fear the explosion.
0.5s: Visual effects and ion sounds are created.
1.0s: The view starts shaking and everything within 250 UU takes 150 damage.
1.5s: Redeemer explosion sound plays and everything within 600 UU takes 150 damage.
1.7s: Everything within 950 UU takes 150 damage.
1.9s: Everything within 1300 UU takes 150 damage.
2.1s: Everything within 1650 UU takes 150 damage.
2.3s: Everything within 2000 UU takes 150 damage.
- The center of the explosion for line-of-sight calculations is 200 UU above the targeted spot. This prevents it from getting mitigated by small flat obstacles on the ground.
- Bots will use the Ion Painter against objectives with default priority if there is enough space above the objective. They give twice as much priority to using it against enemies, though. However, bots will never want to use it against an enemy who has even just the tiniest bit of highground advantage over them. Curiously, if there is not enough space above the target to use the painter, bots will at least still consider using it if the enemy is standing on terrain but not if they are standing on any other type of level geometry.

Last edited by Crusha K. Rool; 06-14-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
duh
www.gotse.cx

Wow, Crusha. Thanks for the insight on how that weapon works. I have the same problem as pooty on Dria when my ping is high. I can't shoot from the bridges to the middle nodes and the higher my ping, the shorter my range. Any explanation?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Nothing comes to mind. But if it's ping-related, it should be possible to reproduce it in a local server with PktLoss, PktDup, PktOrder and/or PktLag parameters.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
provert
Just Registered

Nerds! LOL Thanks for the info!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Nice info, but for me it used to work and yes there were restrictions but for the last few months, it now NEVER works. My ping is usually between 20-80, so I wouldn't think ping is an issue.

It occurs to me I haven't tried it offline, so I am going to try it on one of the Omni maps offline and see if I can get it to work.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught