Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 05-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
Rando
Just Registered

Default Please bring back the balancer

Teams were far more even with it in place. Tired of playing games where you can look at the teams at the beginning of the match and know who is going to win.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Teams were far more even with it in place. Tired of playing games where you can look at the teams at the beginning of the match and know who is going to win.
I'd be hesitant to agree with you Rando for a few reasons...

1. There's no hard evidence the balance was any better with it
2. You can still tell which team is gonna win after the balancer shuffle
3. The balancer can't account for joins and players leaving
4. The balancer is inherently flawed in the way it was implemented on OMNI, I believe it only tracked pph stats from the previous match and not longterm pph
5. Anecdotal - I've seen a lot of matches lately that have gone 4 and 5 rounds, including some where I thought I knew which team was going to win (mine) and we lost.

Before considering reinstating it, I'd like to see a player poll showing the community overwhelmingly wants it back. And, we'd need either Mailbox or Carpe to do it, both of whom have been MIA for a while.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

I'd be curious on the data. I kinda agree with you Enyo- the balancer probably didn't make a huge difference. My guess is that it improved about 15% of the games. Won't know until game data is pulled and compared before/after. Late joins and mid-game drops definitely do screw with the balance... but I don't think there is anything that can be done about that (I mean we can't block people from joining/leaving a game already in session so [shrugs] what can you do?).
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
I'd be curious on the data. I kinda agree with you Enyo- the balancer probably didn't make a huge difference. My guess is that it improved about 15% of the games. Won't know until game data is pulled and compared before/after. Late joins and mid-game drops definitely do screw with the balance... but I don't think there is anything that can be done about that (I mean we can't block people from joining/leaving a game already in session so [shrugs] what can you do?).
That's exactly right... you can't do anything to mitigate players coming and going. And 2 players leaving one team where a good player gets switched can make a huge difference. It happened twice yesterday, one time xexx got switched from my team with not a lot of great players to a team with Army, BoFox and a couple other good players, result was a quick loss for my team after xexx got switched. Then later, I got switched to a team with xexx and Army, and we quickly slaughtered the other team on Dria, of all maps. It happens, with or without a balancer.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
provert
Just Registered

Yeah, I'm not seeing much of a difference in team stacking from when it was implemented, either. Enyo has already said what i could have added.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught