Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Any luck on getting access to the Redirect?

Have we had any luck getting access to the redirect? There's new maps waiting.

Alternatively, can we have two redirects?
Old 05-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
ProtoDroidMk5
Just Registered

I don't know how the redirect is set up (WebDAV versus FTP) and I really don't want to *hack* my way into the redirect without getting permission first from the admins.

THAT said, what is the main issue getting into said redirect?
Old 05-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Binger

You guys need to start a new server. Carpe hasn't been here in 8 months. No access to the redirect. Buggy gameplay.

I really doubt that any of the clan, including analog, would be upset if someone started a new server and advertised it here.

It sounds like there is enough people willing to fund it for a least a couple of years.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
what is the main issue getting into said redirect?

We don't have access to the redirect to update/add/delete files.

I think we have access to the UT server (and config), so we can add the maps there, and I was thinking just change the redirect there to a new one.

Quote:
You guys need to start a new server. Carpe hasn't been here in 8 months. No access to the redirect. Buggy gameplay.

Yes, it might be time to do that, but I don't know who owns/runs what at this point.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

https://www.gameservers.com/game_ser...004-server.php Hmm about $1 per slot (player) per month.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

You guys should be communicating with Mailbox about this stuff. He's the only one around that knows this stuff I believe that is still here.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
You guys should be communicating with Mailbox about this stuff. He's the only one around that knows this stuff I believe that is still here.
Mailbox doesn't have access to the redirect. There's nothing he can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
We don't have access to the redirect to update/add/delete files.

I think we have access to the UT server (and config), so we can add the maps there, and I was thinking just change the redirect there to a new one.

Yes, it might be time to do that, but I don't know who owns/runs what at this point.
I think Q basically owns the Omnip)o(tents name. Analog owns the game server. Necro or Arsenal owns or at least runs the website but Q might be the only one doing that now.

I forget what the situation is with the redirect. I would have to go back and read up on that. I know analog and Carpe used to have log-in credentials for it but I don't know what changed. I think your suggestion to change the redirect is your only option as this point.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I forget what the situation is with the redirect. I would have to go back and read up on that. I know analog and Carpe used to have log-in credentials for it but I don't know what changed. I think your suggestion to change the redirect is your only option as this point.
I tried to read to find out what's up with this. Does anyone know? I don't see anything that says Carpe lost access to the redirect. I thought I remembered that Carpe lost that access for some reason but maybe not. There is a post from Mailbox, who was just here a day or so ago, that says Carpe told him he would sort out the redirect soon. That was in January. Maybe all that's needed is for Carpe so show up and give analog and Mailbox credentials for the redirect. Has anyone tried to message him since January? He hasn't been here in over 8 months so maybe he forgot about the redirect issue.

Analog was working on collecting maps for a new redirect which makes me think he can make the change on the server to point to a new redirect.

Idk what's going on. I haven't even had the game installed for a year or so and I'll probably never play it again but I feel bad for those of you that are still playing and want new maps and to keep things fresh. I think the reality is that the people that own/run this server have moved on, and we can't blame them for that. At least the lights are still on.

I think these are your options:

-If Carpe still has access to the redirect then wait for him to come back.

-If analog can change the redirect then get the community to buy one and ask analog to change to it.

-Start a new server.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I cited him on facebook of the url.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 05-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
-If Carpe still has access to the redirect then wait for him to come back.

-If analog can change the redirect then get the community to buy one and ask analog to change to it.

I messaged them both a while back (March)

Analog does not have the password, he was hoping Carpe did. Analog was going to try to see if he had it anywhere, but at this point we are waiting to see if Carpe has it. He hasn't responded to the message.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Does Carpe show up over on the HOC freon server?
Old 05-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Default Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Does Carpe show up over on the HOC freon server?

short answer, yes. & i quote from fb messenger,"
I didn't, but unfortunately I don't have access to any of that anymore. Analog is AFK and the boss man (quetto) has not been overly responsive either. If there is someone that wants to take over hosting the server then I will see what I can do.

As well I will talk to keto about getting the redirect files to provide to someone But there has to be an official plan in place, I have a lot on my plate right now so I don't want to waste much time, but I know that we need Omni to carry on (even though I don't play anymore)

At hoc (House of carp Freon server) we basically take donations until we paid for the year then cut them off.

Yeah that's fine, I haven't been on Facebook this morning so make sure you tag me I'm on my way out shortly I will try to address it when I come back in

Basically you just need someone to step up and front everything and then we will move the process along.

Sure that works.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I didn't, but unfortunately I don't have access to any of that anymore.
Access to what? The redirect?

Quote:
Analog is AFK and the boss man (quetto) has not been overly responsive either.
Analog still signs in here to the forums fairly regularly. He was here like a week ago. Q also checks in here fairly regularly. He just doesn't post anything.

Quote:
If there is someone that wants to take over hosting the server then I will see what I can do.

As well I will talk to keto about getting the redirect files to provide to someone But there has to be an official plan in place, I have a lot on my plate right now so I don't want to waste much time, but I know that we need Omni to carry on (even though I don't play anymore)

Basically you just need someone to step up and front everything and then we will move the process along.
Analog is hosting the server and that doesn't really need to change unless he wants it to. Redirect files would be nice but they aren't needed to start a new server. They can be recreated. All that needs to happen is that someone who is active around here gets the god damn password for the redirect server.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
....All that needs to happen is that someone who is active around here gets the god damn password for the redirect server.

thanks for the clarification, I'll try and paste this in my fb chat back to him
Old 05-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #15
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

o/.

So, to give a current status update. To my recollection:

The UT2004 server is run by Analog, who has given access to Carpe, myself, and probably some other people too.

The redirect server, website, and forum is run by Qettoe (Q), and access to the redirect has been given to Carpe and Analog.

Back in March, when Analog dun goofed and then subsequently fixed the server, I had asked about the redirect, and neither Carpe nor Analog could log into the redirect server with their credentials. Analog said he'd try to reach out to Q to see what's going on.

Since then, I've done some prodding in the admin forums, and tried reaching out to Analog, but no dice. In all this time though, I actually haven't tried contacting Q at all. Mainly because as far as I can see he's even more away from the game than Analog is, I only have the same forum contact all of us do, and I've never really talked with him much. Not a good excuse, I know.

So... I'll try one last swing at Q to see if he'll check in soon. Past that, I throw my hands in the air. Getting a new redirect is simple enough: Just point to a new web server and throw some files at that. But I don't know where I am here, honestly.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:36 AM   #16
Binger

Ah okay. I thought I remembered that Carpe had lost access to the redirect but I couldn't find where that was said in the forums. I even did a search for "redirect" and went way back reading things.

Analog is still around for sure. He signed in a little over a week ago and it's only been about two months since he posted. He's probably just busy and knows there's nothing he can do anyway. He's such a nice person I'm sure he would do whatever he could. We really should all be thankful to him for keeping things going as long as he has.

Often when I check the forums I see Q in the "last 24 hours" section. I don't know what he does though since he hasn't posted in 2 years. Is he posting in the super secret Admins area?

God luck guys. I hope you get the redirect thing sorted out soon.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #17
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I've messaged Q to (hopefully) pass along the redirect login/password. Assuming he does so then I will provide
that information to Mail and he can begin the process of moving files to a new machine.

As for the redirect, I had lost access to it a long time ago, and by "lost access" I mean I was unable to connect
to it as my FTP was unable to resolve the host name/ip. This was in early January at which point he told me
that my login was "no longer correct" and to send him the files (I believe Mail was trying to add a new map to
the server, ONS-MinusTankMeUp-pOOtylicicious I believe). At that point I dropped the ball. I apologize to all.
My only defense is that was mid February, right around the time that covid inserted itself into our lives. I could
labour on about why/how that all conspired to create my non-response, but in the end I fucked up and once
again, apologize to all.

Will advise when I hear back from Q

As for "I don't know what he does though" he does keep/host these forums. Last I spoke with him he had insinuated
that he would always "control" them, but I will also ask/suggest to him that he releases that information (forum hosting
data/ip's/etc) so they can be moved as well to someone that will/can carry them forward.

p.s. Thanks to Sumu for prodding me via FB. I again feel shame, but I have not logged in here in a long time. Just fell off my radar...

Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Thanks Carpe!

I'd be willing to host a new redirect if we can't get the old one back working. I already pay for some webhosting right now that I don't do much with. I can't imagine it generates too much traffic. Do we have any bandwidth numbers? Even a guess?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #19
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
...p.s. Thanks to Sumu for prodding me via FB.

Thank you though for clarifying, and moving the ball forward. We all appreciate it Carpe.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Just wanted to clarify and make my excuses because frankly, I feel badly that I neglected the community,
even though I'm not an active participant in said community.

late October --> first week December: in SE Asia.
December -- > Christmas stuff
December, January --> catching up on work stuff (have my own business, and we were busy with several big projects)
January, February --> multiple skiing trips (have a place on a ski mountain a few hundred miles away)
Beginning of February --> Mom ended up in hospital (fall), testing revealed lung cancer, untreatable. 3 months.
Mid February --> Mom returns home, good for 2 weeks then she ends up in hospital again.

Late February --> Covid hits. Mom waiting in hospital for hospice bed to open up.
Early to mid March --> Still waiting for hospice bed, Mom's health declining.
Mid March --> Hospice bed opens up ! YAY !
Mid March to early April --> Mom declining, but in much better place.
April 7 --> Mom passes
March thru Mid May --> Work, looking after unoccupied house 25miles away, funeral stuff, estate stuff (I'm executor), selling house, cleaning house out.

And now we're here. So while I still had time to look after other things, the whole server/redirect thing totally
fell out of my realm of concerns. My above story/diatribe is not intended to solicit any sympathies or as an
excuse to my addressing/following through on Omni, it's just what my life looked like.

So ya. Sorry. I messaged Q first thing this morning (6 hours ago), as of right now I have not heard back from him.

I will hunt through my masses of stored data, I may have decided at some point that I should download the redirect stuff. I doubt
it, but who knows.

If Q doesn't respond, it's actually quite simple to get all the files required. Someone just has to do the legwork of downloading everything
from the operating server and then compressing all the files so they can be put on whatever server will be the redirect.

cheers,

CD

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught