Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 12-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #21
Q
Bawls?

That works just fine. I'll talk to Carpe and get back to you with my direct info so that we can initiate the transfer sooner than later. I'll prepare a full sql dump of the database and you can use my vBulletin account for upgrades if needed. I have a perpertual license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Q, we can't thank you enough for keeping the forum going for this long. But, I can understand your desire to not have to bear the guilt of being an absentee landlord any more. Either way, thanks for stopping in to offer your blessings.

I'm one of the current server admins and told Carpe this before when the forum went down earlier this year, but I'd be happy to host the forum and keep it going as is. I have a web hosting reseller account for my business, so it would cost me nothing but time to host it. It would probably be the easiest thing to do and I'd hate to lose all the history here. I'll send you and Carpe a PM and we can work out the details.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #22
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Hey guys,

It's pretty sweet to see you guys wanting to keep this going; it literally brought tears into my eyes. We have been online since March 2004 and I have been absent since around 2010 for personal reasons - mostly age-related - I'm turning 50 next year and can't keep up with you youngsters.
fuck that, I turned 60 this year. Good thing I'm still 24 (on a mature day)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I may not know most of you these days, but I love you as my Omni family. It's been going on for almost 17 years and I'm proud of what we've created together. We helped and supported each other through rough times as we matured and we even had a marriage here... there is so much to be proud of and I'm beyond honored to call every one of you my extended family. It is now your turn to take the reins and steer this in a direction I am no longer capable of.

Q.
That's exactly how I feel, I didn't show up until '06 but Omnipotents will always hold a special place of pride and belonging for me. I met Terminator in here,
he was 14 at the time. I still play with him and consider him a son/friend rolled together. Silly how a PC game can build relationships.

Anyway, my two bits at this juncture is keep the name.

So, maybe all the interested parties should join/gather and talk about it, you know, cross the t's and dot the i's. We can use HoC TeamSpeak (i'll provide connection info) or Discord if thereis something up and running. I hope all those willing to step forward and run things treat her with care...

Old 12-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #23
Q
Bawls?

I’ll be more than delighted to hand this whole thing over. Just give the word.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #24
provert
Getting there...

I have to say, it's really cool to see everyone working together on this. Almost brings a tear to my eye. I honestly don't know how I would decompress after work without playing along with you guys. Now, if I could just get my ISP to stop sending me from San Diego to NJ before going back to Lansing....
Old 12-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #25
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Q, let me also add my thanks to you (as well as Carpe, Analog and others..) for literally years of enjoyment.

Enyo, let me know if you need a hand with the forum and any tech (web/html, SQL) stuff. I'd hate to lose the forum, there's stuff I still look up for mapping and such.

Quote:
I'll be happy to dump everything I have, mods and maps anywhere you want me to (about 20G of data).
I'd happily take it, I have the space for it locally just need to figure out where/how/when to transfer it. I currently have much of it I think betwen what Binger sent me and what I currently host on the redirect.

Quote:
So, maybe all the interested parties should join/gather and talk about it, you know, cross the t's and dot the i's. We can use HoC TeamSpeak (i'll provide connection info) or Discord if thereis something up and running. I hope all those willing to step forward and run things treat her with care..
There is the Omni discord (I think Mailbox set it up) as well and I think some are on there.

But yes we should as Carpe said figure it all out. Sounds like we have the forum/webiste covered (Enyo), redirect (me), and we just need to figure out the server and rest of the details...

Also, don't forget the Friends of Omnipotents FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/502667443415962

Long Live )o(
Old 12-15-2020, 11:39 PM   #26
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Enyo, let me know if you need a hand with the forum and any tech (web/html, SQL) stuff. I'd hate to lose the forum, there's stuff I still look up for mapping and such.
Long Live )o(
Will do... I think I'll be OK considering I build websites for a living, but I've never installed/run vBulletin, so we'll see. Hopefully Q can give me a couple pointers when we get into the details.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

YES KEEP THIS PLACE!

There is manny stuff on here .. and some fun drama topics as well. =D

@Q -> Save your files somewhere in a cloud, please. There http://www.mediafire.com you would just need two accounts. Best would be multiple places. xD ... Also, get your ass back into a game.

Bring back the AS-Nights: Pic from 2017:

Mhh I have some more .. and the files from Binger are not into it. When you read this, I haven't even downloaded the last once. Shame on me.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 12-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #28
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Best place would be Google Drive, in a heavily compressed archive. 15GB free limit.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
Enyo
Getting there...

Alright folks, things are in motion. We are absolutely keeping the Omnipotents name, just kinda internally calling it Omni 2.0 since it's all going to a new home under new management. I'm waiting on Qettoe to get details on transferring the forum. Once we get that set up, I'll update the donation link so anyone that's willing can send money to help cover server costs - DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY YET!!! The current link goes to Qettoe and he's officially hanging up the reins to everything Omni.

We are going to be getting a dedicated gaming server optimized for UT, we're still researching the options. I'll let everyone know when the donation link is updated. We're hoping to raise enough to cover 2-3 years worth of server cost. The PayPal account for sending money will be maintained by pooty, dognuts and myself, sort of as a perpetual Omni Trust. We will give everyone recognition on the forum for donating so you know it was received and everyone sees how much has been donated. All money will be used 100% for server rental. Maintaining the forum won't cost me anything since I'll have it on my business reseller account.

We'll continue to update progress here regularly, and keep in mind this will not be a fast process as all parties involved are doing this in their spare time. Not to mention there's a lot of moving parts and things to figure out along the way. Hopefully, the new server will fix some of the connection issues several players seem to currently have, as well as many of the other anomalies we experience.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #30
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Best place would be Google Drive, in a heavily compressed archive. 15GB free limit.
You can create multiple accounts though and store separable parts into different drives for however much space you need

Also super excited about a new server! The owners and admins can have full control over the server and we'll be able to adjust things as needed with full reign. Awesome.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
dognuts
Teabagger of Spoon!!

I have a MS Office account with 1TB of storage to offer up.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #32
nautikal
Just Registered

I have the next week and a half off work so let me know if there's any help needed (sounds like you guys have things in the works though)

Glad to hear we're keeping the name and forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
nautikal, it's good to see someone from 2007 still active. Not a lot of us 2nd gen players left.

Cheers! I played a lot in 2007 and 2008 then mostly stopped in college... just picked this back up in May because of the pandemic. Nothing IMO beats the gameplay in Ut2k4 onslaught... constant action and instant respawn, diverse mechanics/weapons/vehicles but not terribly difficult to learn (vs. e.g., Valorant or Overwatch), objectives-based, no annoying children, no matchmaking that ends up making things hypercompetitive and un-fun, etc...
Old 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #33
Bacteria
[OMNI]_Bacteria

Glad to see there are people to help keep this game going!! I recall when they were going to shut omni down back in 08-09 timeframe and was really bummed out. It was saved then by dedicated players to the community and now its looking to have new life all together. Happy to chip in where I can!
Old 12-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #34
Q
Bawls?

This community is awesome because of you guys... not me, and I'm happy to see you and the gang take care of it going forward. Let's pick this up through email a bit after the holidays and we will work this out as smoothly as possible.

Quote:
Q, we can't thank you enough for keeping the forum going for this long. But, I can understand your desire to not have to bear the guilt of being an absentee landlord any more. Either way, thanks for stopping in to offer your blessings.

I'm one of the current server admins and told Carpe this before when the forum went down earlier this year, but I'd be happy to host the forum and keep it going as is. I have a web hosting reseller account for my business, so it would cost me nothing but time to host it. It would probably be the easiest thing to do and I'd hate to lose all the history here. I'll send you and Carpe a PM and we can work out the details.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #35
Rando
Getting there...

So what is going on with this? What is the hold up? Rent a virtual server here https://www.nfoservers.com/order-vir...ted-server.php 4 cores 4gigs RAM should be fine. Run on windows server 2019. Copy over all the game files and Analogs server.ini (and batch file?). Set up the redirect and you are done. Shouldn't take but an hour to configure everything and a couple hours to upload the game files. I'm around for the next few days if you need any help.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #36
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
So what is going on with this? What is the hold up?...

I assure you it's being worked on. Patience, LOL

Quote:
We'll continue to update progress here regularly, and keep in mind this will not be a fast process as all parties involved are doing this in their spare time. Not to mention there's a lot of moving parts and things to figure out along the way...
Old 01-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #37
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Copy over all the game files and Analogs server.ini (and batch file?).

The biggest issue with that is ONLY mailbox has access to those...as Analog has been MIA for a few months. I also believe the server runs on Linux vs. Windows, any thoughts on that Rando? I'm inclined to Linux as it generally runs better as a server but not sure how that applies specifically to UT2004.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #38
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
The biggest issue with that is ONLY mailbox has access to those...as Analog has been MIA for a few months. I also believe the server runs on Linux vs. Windows, any thoughts on that Rando? I'm inclined to Linux as it generally runs better as a server but not sure how that applies specifically to UT2004.
Making a new server ini isn't that hard. It's not like the server is running 1000x different mutators. Linux or Windows....well you can rent a server with linux for no charge but Windows has an additional charge per month. I am not familiar enough with Linux to be of much help there if thats the route you choose. Performance wise it'll be the same, at least I would think it would. As for all the game files...you should already have all those either in your cache (which can be extracted) or in your install directory if you have already extracted them. If you need any help etc you can always message me on the omni discord.

*edit* If there is someone around who knows how to set up a web server on linux it would save a lot of money to go the linux route. Other things to think about would be bandwidth usage but I think the amount you get with the 4core 4gig server would be plenty. Also would be nice to know the amount of RAM the server is using. Maybe we'll get lucky and analog would come around long enough to help get it off the ground.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #39
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
We've run both in the past and are currently using Linux, so it works fine. If necessary, I can provide copies of our files and try to mark which areas you'd need to change for your server, but of course copying the original files would be easiest. I'm not super familiar with the installation process, but I can ask LaborHeinz if you have any questions about that.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #40
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Thanks everyone.

I am pretty familiar with Linux so no worries there..and I have all the game files since I host the Omni redirect..including all the .u files...but no .ini files. I've set up a dedicated linux server on my desktop via Virtual Box, just copied over some of the install files and dropped in the Omni content.

I have the files already hosted for the current redirect so that's set. Most hosting is cheaper if you DON'T setup your own server (less chance of you breaking someone else's setup, since most hosting is shared tenants).

So the things I don't have are the .ini files (which would include any server side mutators -- which I suspect I already have .u files for them). I can likely ping Mailbox for the .ini files. There's probably sensitive info (like admin passwords) in them.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament