Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Default OMNI Discord Server

Hi everyone. Here to make some posts before I vanish again.

So back in March 2019, one of the bullet points I put in the Late March 2019 - [OMNI] Admin Update was that we would now have a Discord server. At the time, Analog was AWOL and the future of the Onslaught server was uncertain, which probably meant this Discord thing went under the radar for most. With that forum thread now reaching the bottom of the first page, It's about time that the Discord server got its own forum thread.

What is Discord?

Discord can best be described as a service that combines IRC and a VoIP server service (e.g. TeamSpeak, Mumble, Ventrilo), and joins it with an image host, viewability of past messages, and with some emoji splashed in. This server aims to fill in the out-of-game gap that the former TeamSpeak server left, while also providing new functionality that this combination provides.

How can I join?

You can join the server by clicking the link below:

https://discord.gg/zZmapJG

Okay, so I joined. How come I can't do anything on this server?

At the moment, posting or interacting in the server requires you to have the "Trusted Players" role. This was implemented so that people know who's who, that the admins know who's who, and to raise the barrier for outside spam.

You can get the tag through a few ways:
* Being directly given it, if I know who you are on OMNI
* Message me (Mailbox) on Discord with your in-game name.
* Post in this thread with your Discord ID (Name#Number)
* Have someone who's been verified vouch for your account

These rules are subject to change.

What are the rules?

As of September 14th, 2019, the Discord server will officially be under forum rules (http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=692), though enforcement will be at discretion of the admins. Things like "Forum members are not allowed to alter pictures posted by other members." will be viewed very laxly by me, so long as it doesn't break other rules.

Look forward to seeing you there!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
Just Registered

Can I get an invite? I have added the channel, but can't post
Old 11-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
provert
Getting there...

Provert #5063
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
bunnyfoofoo
aka Sh!v

Post Discord me

bunnyfoofoo #4734
Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Are people regularly using this? If so, how is it more beneficial than the built-in voice chat?
Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

I wonder if the Voice chat is one of the things that overloads the server?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Are people regularly using this? If so, how is it more beneficial than the built-in voice chat?
I don't really get it myself, but pooty may be right that it's more of a bandwidth issue. I know that's why CEONSS does not turn on their voice chat, particularly since they have so many overseas players.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Yeah I remember using it when we had the server vs server matches. It was nice and clear which was cool. It was a little weird how it was always on though.... I think I prefer the walkie-talkie style of the original voice chat. Something about distorted voices yelling at each other makes it funnier.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

I thought there was a "push to talk" option?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
It was a little weird how it was always on though.... I think I prefer the walkie-talkie style of the original voice chat. Something about distorted voices yelling at each other makes it funnier.
I agree as well; If we use discord, a lot of people's mics are going to remain on meaning we'll hear whatever wifey argument someone is having unless they're using a push to talk or have a mic mute button. I'm not in the discord yet, but is the plan to have separate voice channels for each team? If so, I think that'd be slightly complicated because we would have to alt-tab and change channels each time teams get balanced or you start a new map on a different team. Whenever I alt-tab my game usually breaks, I have to restart it again which sucks but I usually get back in the server on time, however others might not if they have the same issue. Plus I feel like some people wouldn't realize they're on the wrong channel, unless we're all in one collective voice chat which sounds chaotic lol.

If it's what we gotta do to keep the server running and alive I'm down, but I do prefer the easy walkie-talkie style that separates our mics by teams automatically though
Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

We used the CEONSS Discord server for the VoIP stuff.

It's been inactive for the most part since I put the muzzle on the place with the "contact me and I'll get you on a list of trusted players" thing. I'm the only admin regularly there, and you know my activity level as of late, so don't feel like I have the means to actively police it. This thread not being sticked probably doesn't help matters.

There is a push to talk option, but I guess some people weren't using it back then?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
...we'll hear whatever wifey argument someone is having...

LOL I guarantee there have been plenty of those. "You're playing that stupid game again?", etc, etc etc.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:45 AM   #13
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Most of the time when we are on Discord (which isn't very often), we just hang out in the same channel. That's been okay for us. My only problem is that I can't get the overlay to work and sometimes I'm not sure who is talking. Has anyone been able to get it to work with UT2004?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:39 AM   #14
ProtoDroidMk5
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
Most of the time when we are on Discord (which isn't very often), we just hang out in the same channel. That's been okay for us. My only problem is that I can't get the overlay to work and sometimes I'm not sure who is talking. Has anyone been able to get it to work with UT2004?

Just a hunch, but make sure in the Discord Options under App Settings -> Game Activity that the game is listed and is pointing to the correct directory. I had that happen with Division 2 where it was pointing to an invalid path
Old 08-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #15
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoDroidMk5 View Post
Just a hunch, but make sure in the Discord Options under App Settings -> Game Activity that the game is listed and is pointing to the correct directory. I had that happen with Division 2 where it was pointing to an invalid path
Thanks! I checked and the path is correct. Still no luck with the overlay.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Overlay works great with UT2004. Are you hitting shift+z to open it up once you have the game started?
Old 08-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #17
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Overlay works great with UT2004. Are you hitting shift+z to open it up once you have the game started?
I'm afraid that does nothing. I'm wondering if it just isn't recognizing the game properly. Did you buy yours on Steam? I installed it from a DVD. Tried adding it to my Steam library, but still no luck with the overlay.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
I'm afraid that does nothing. I'm wondering if it just isn't recognizing the game properly. Did you buy yours on Steam? I installed it from a DVD. Tried adding it to my Steam library, but still no luck with the overlay.
I have mine through steam. You can add it to your steam library or collection with your cd key. However it should show up. Does it show up if you have the game running and go to settings-game activity? Also, do you have the overlay enabled in settings-overlay?
Old 08-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #19
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

I've added it to my Steam library. When I launch the game via Steam, it does show in Steam that I'm playing UT, but not in Discord. When I launch it normally via my desktop shortcut (not via Steam), Discord will show me as playing UT and give me the option to stream it. In neither case can I see the overlay.

Overlay is enabled in the settings in general and for UT in particular as well.

I'm able to see the overlay in Satisfactory. To be honest I always thought it only works with newer games.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #20
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
I've added it to my Steam library. When I launch the game via Steam, it does show in Steam that I'm playing UT, but not in Discord. When I launch it normally via my desktop shortcut (not via Steam), Discord will show me as playing UT and give me the option to stream it. In neither case can I see the overlay.

Overlay is enabled in the settings in general and for UT in particular as well.

I'm able to see the overlay in Satisfactory. To be honest I always thought it only works with newer games.
Go in to your discord settings-game activity. See if UT is there, if not, add it.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament