Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Who are the current in-game Server Admins

I can't seem to find the current list...

We have a few who are active: Enyo, Dognuts, McLovin

Ones we don't see much on the ONS server: Carpe, Analog

I think there are others but I don't remember and can't seem to find the current list.

Server Administrator sticky hasn't been updated in years: http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...t=13986&page=2

Can we get that sticky updated with the current admins?

Do we need a few more admins? We were on last night and crashed on a nearly full server and seemingly no admin to force the switch.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Mailbox and Flounder. But you'll hardly ever see Flounder use his real nick, he's a lurker, LOL. But if you break the rules, he will bust your ass.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

Update: 7/22/20

Here's the current active list of server admins and their "activity" level, meaning how much they're on the server playing or spectating. Knowing that may help in knowing who to contact if you have an issue:

Flounder:
the oldest (in years AND residency on OMNI) remaining admin... he's on quite often just spectating but plays regularly too. You may not notice him as he spectates/plays incognito quite a bit. If you see or recognize him, give him mad respect, he doesn't use audio, but he will smack a player down quickly for rule infractions.

McLovin:
plays and spectates regularly, usually earlier afternoons to early evening.

dognuts:
plays and spectates regularly, usually between early afternoon to early evening.

Enyo:
plays a lot and spectates some, usually between late afternoon to late evening.

Mailbox:
plays very little these days and is the least active admin, in game and in forums. However, he knows more about the technical back end of the server, how to update maps, and is (hopefully) helping with the technical aspects of getting a new redirect.

Carpe_Diem:
one of the original founding members of OMNI and is actively helping to get us a new redirect set up. He no longer plays onslaught, but still actively plays on and manages a deathmatch Freon server called House of Carpe (Hoc) . Check it out if you want to improve your DM skills, you have to register on the website and get the server info there.

pooty:
honorable mention, though not an admin, has been learning map modding and has some ready to load if only we had redirect access. He's helping in that endeavor as well, so I felt it appropriate to include him in this list.

If Carpe or Mailbox happen to see this post, I am nominating pooty as a new admin, if he wants it, so we can officially add him to this list and have another regular player in the rotation. I'd appreciate if any other current admins would give a yay or nay on pooty as admin.

Last edited by Enyo; 07-22-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

I concur with your overview, Enyo.

To tell the truth, right around May of last year, my want to play the game had burnt right out. I got a bit busy in one month, and afterwards another game group, which was also having its own issues, ended up taking most of my time.

I had wanted to have some additional presence back in December, at least show up once monthly. But our present web host issues have basically taken all the wind out of my sails. Getting a fixed up redirect is out of my comfort zone, and, well, with my presence being what it is, it would probably be better if a more active member took care of things.

Apologies for my absence.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
dognuts
Teabagger of Spoon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
I concur with your overview, Enyo.

To tell the truth, right around May of last year, my want to play the game had burnt right out. I got a bit busy in one month, and afterwards another game group, which was also having its own issues, ended up taking most of my time.

I had wanted to have some additional presence back in December, at least show up once monthly. But our present web host issues have basically taken all the wind out of my sails. Getting a fixed up redirect is out of my comfort zone, and, well, with my presence being what it is, it would probably be better if a more active member took care of things.

Apologies for my absence.
No need to apologize Mailbox! Sometimes life gets in the way. I'd think you were nuts if you put a lower priority on real life issues.

dog
Old 07-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognuts View Post
No need to apologize Mailbox! Sometimes life gets in the way. I'd think you were nuts if you put a lower priority on real life issues.

dog
Once again, you're too nice dognuts. He admitted he was cheating on OMNI with another gaming group... like a woman scorned by her lover, I was done listening to his excuses after that. And he said he could handle the redirect stuff before, but now it's "out of his comfort zone?" Kinda how divorcing your wife is out of your comfort zone, though your mistress wants you to leave her for good.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Analog was on last night I think he said he was working on it, so sounds like there's some progress (at least on the redirect front).
Old 07-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Once again, you're too nice dognuts. He admitted he was cheating on OMNI with another gaming group... like a woman scorned by her lover, I was done listening to his excuses after that. And he said he could handle the redirect stuff before, but now it's "out of his comfort zone?" Kinda how divorcing your wife is out of your comfort zone, though your mistress wants you to leave her for good.
I'm guessing you're pulling my leg here, but regardless:

Back when the idea was that all that was needed was to be given access to the existing redirect server and throw some files up, that's absolutely in my comfort zone. But now the conversation in the back has shifted towards getting a new one entirely. And considering that I personally have little experience with setting server infrastructure up to speak of, paired with the enormous size of the OMNI redirect (though it looks like the "live" files are a tiny fraction of that from a cursory glance), makes me feel powerless to do anything about it. Carpe & Analog have been doing all the work of trying to wrangle Q, and I don't know how to get a server the size needed to hold the entire OMNI redirect, so what can I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognuts View Post
I'd think you were nuts if you put a lower priority on real life issues.
Ironically, real life issues (paired with that other group having dealt with many of their issues) are a reason that I have to put that other group aside to a degree. I ran out of promises to give a year ago, so that's all I will say on that front.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #9
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Back when the idea was that all that was needed was to be given access to the existing redirect server and throw some files up, that's absolutely in my comfort zone. But now the conversation in the back has shifted towards getting a new one entirely. And considering that I personally have little experience with setting server infrastructure up to speak of, paired with the enormous size of the OMNI redirect (though it looks like the "live" files are a tiny fraction of that from a cursory glance), makes me feel powerless to do anything about it. Carpe & Analog have been doing all the work of trying to wrangle Q, and I don't know how to get a server the size needed to hold the entire OMNI redirect, so what can I do?

We had to reinstall our redirect last year, so we might be able to help a little.

Regarding the size, are you using compressed files (.uz2 format) or uncompressed ones? If the latter is the case, it should save you a ton of space to switch to compressed ones. The downside is that you need to compress every single file you want to upload there and decompress anything you download. So the initial setup would involve compressing a ton of files before uploading them.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Mailbox and I are discussing it.

We do need to analyze what's actually needed. It should be fairly small (Several GBs), and I think the web traffic is fairly small as well.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Mailbox and I are discussing it.

We do need to analyze what's actually needed. It should be fairly small (Several GBs), and I think the web traffic is fairly small as well.

Is it just the redirect that has unused files (fluff)?

If the OMNI game server has minimal fluff, you could add up the size of the maps, music, sounds, static meshes, system and textures folders to figure out what the minimum storage size of your redirect would need to be (for uncompressed files). Of course there would be base-game files in there as well that you don't need to put on a redirect, but you probably want some extra space anyway. But if you want to be super accurate, you could ask someone with the vanilla game to add up their folders and subtract that from OMNI's total to figure out the size of your extra files.

You could also leave out all the music files to save space, but Miau would cry.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
Enyo
Getting there...

New official updated admin list:

Flounder
McLovin
Dognuts
Enyo
Pooty
Mailbox (mostly inactive)
Carpe Diem (inactive)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Congrats, Pooty!
(I just discovered the other smileys.)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #15
Flounder
Server Admin

Wasn't someone supposed to record Pooty drawing the short straw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
New official updated admin list:

Flounder
McLovin
Dognuts
Enyo
Pooty
Mailbox (mostly inactive)
Carpe Diem (inactive)
Old 08-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #16
dognuts
Teabagger of Spoon!!

Welcome pooty!!!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #17
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I nudged Carpe on Facebook about the redirect. I am glad to see that it worked, and that Pooty has so many great maps and kitchensinks Thanks everyone for making this server kick it on most nights.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught