Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Default Mino camping

So fucking annoying to find a team mate sitting in our core waiting for the mino to spawn. If an Admin is onboard is this kickable? Or should I just shut-up and tolerate it. I know Martian and others used to do this shit, but now a new breed of asshats are doing it.

Actually, anyone waiting around for anything to spawn is a fucking douchebag in my opinion. These include:
1. Their favorite vehicle.
2. The suicide nuke.

If you see it, call it out. NAME EM AND SHAME EM. If you're lucky enough to get a kick vote going or ask an admin to facilitate the asshat's disposal from the game.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

It really depends how long they are waiting for it.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

In defense of vehicle camping (that I do):

Go grab ion tank on TanksALot
Do ion tank stuff
Die
Set timer on my phone
Go fight for center until my timer is up... Plenty of work can be done in this time
Repeat

Yeah hogging is lame, but if someone else gets it before me then fine. My rationale is that our team's ion is then active for every possible moment of the match (being driven by someone who at least 80% knows what he's doing). If it spawns and sits for even a few seconds it can get sabotaged by an enemy, giving them a a huge firepower advantage while we wait for it to spawn again... The regulars on this server have TanksALot down to such a science, matches seem to be won by the team that makes the fewest strategy fumbles and is most consistently pushing on the front, ready for an opening.

But yes I mostly agree with you. Minos are usually well protected and plenty of node work can be done in the time you sit there.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

You complain about vehicle camping yet you always take the ion tank in tanks a lot.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

This is about sitting idle waiting for a resource to spawn, wasting precious moments. You are out of play while your teammates are engaged in battle. Your team is down a player. You are the handicap because you are not playing.

This is not about first in races.

I'm all for people who use timers to know when a resource is going re-spawn and be there just-in-time, while the rest of the time they are out engaging the enemy.

ALL HANDS ON DECK SOLDIER

Either play or leave.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
joeblow
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
In defense of vehicle camping (that I do):

Go grab ion tank on TanksALot
Do ion tank stuff
Die
Set timer on my phone
Go fight for center until my timer is up... Plenty of work can be done in this time
Repeat

Yeah hogging is lame, but if someone else gets it before me then fine. My rationale is that our team's ion is then active for every possible moment of the match (being driven by someone who at least 80% knows what he's doing). If it spawns and sits for even a few seconds it can get sabotaged by an enemy, giving them a a huge firepower advantage while we wait for it to spawn again... The regulars on this server have TanksALot down to such a science, matches seem to be won by the team that makes the fewest strategy fumbles and is most consistently pushing on the front, ready for an opening.

But yes I mostly agree with you. Minos are usually well protected and plenty of node work can be done in the time you sit there.
Terms got a timer program ask him for it. Its got a sexy women voice.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Sitting idle for 90+ seconds waiting on the mino/ion/whatever to spawn is totally lame and I think should be kick-able granted the team agrees and issues enough kick votes. You're being completely useless for that time and need to be helping your team elsewhere. And those that do that are usually crap drivers of those power vehicles. This behavior is reminiscent of Techstyle and Martian... both now banned, for that and a slew of other reasons.

Setting a timer to know when a vehicle is going to spawn and getting in it is fine long as you're doing SOMETHING while waiting for the seconds to tick away. I personally have never set an actual timer, that takes too much time IMO... instead I look at the clock when I die in a vehicle like the mino, do the simple math, go fight where I can be useful, and then warp back when the vehicle is about to spawn. This only works, of course, if you know when the vehicle died and how long it takes to spawn.

Hogging the vehicle? Who gives a shit... nobody has a personal claim to any spawning vehicle on any map. You charged the secondary ion node by yourself on Tanks-a-lot? So what, doesn't mean the ion belongs to you... that node you went straight to at the beginning of the round wouldn't have been available if others hadn't gone to the primary to charge it first.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Sitting idle for 90+ seconds waiting on the mino/ion/whatever to spawn is totally lame and I think should be kick-able granted the team agrees and issues enough kick votes. You're being completely useless for that time and need to be helping your team elsewhere.
But it's worse than being down 1 player. Others annoyed with idler/mino camper start trading barbs, throwing shock balls back and forth, etc. Now you are down 2 players at a minimum.

"All you had to do was just show up and do the minimum" - GTKU
Old 09-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Sitting idle for 90+ seconds waiting on the mino/ion/whatever to spawn is totally lame and I think should be kick-able granted the team agrees and issues enough kick votes. You're being completely useless for that time and need to be helping your team elsewhere. And those that do that are usually crap drivers of those power vehicles. This behavior is reminiscent of Techstyle and Martian... both now banned, for that and a slew of other reasons.
It is a kickable offense which we simply label "idling". If I see a player sitting in the core "waiting" for any reason I warn them, if I see it a second time it's a kick and they can come back in, a third time and it's a session kick. Admins probably don't catch many offenders but I've kicked my share (Martian a bunch of times) for this infraction. It's a dochey move that lags the team down for sure but having a newbie or crappy player grab your OPV can be a real drag as well. Seen that happen more often than I like.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Ive spectated quite a few players who do this and it is annoying. Camp for the mino or other high value vehicle.

Myself I spawn. If there is nothing to transport my ass, I teleport to another node. After that I jump in what ever is available or just run to the nearest unlocked node to attack. I wont sit idle though. I just prefer not to run if possible.

Sucks on big maps to run for what seems like minutes only to get picked off by a flyer and have to start the journey over again lol

You wont catch me driving a mino any time soon either. Its not worth the harassing that comes from players with microphones who wanted the mino. My god they wont hush up and play. They criticize, complain, order, instruct. Worse than a coach on crack! A few people do this religiously to other players and it ruins the game cause they arent paying attention to whats happening. Only following the mino.

I wont mute them cause on many occasions in between rants they do give good logistics information and intel is a leg up in the game.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
Ive spectated quite a few players who do this and it is annoying. Camp for the mino or other high value vehicle.

Myself I spawn. If there is nothing to transport my ass, I teleport to another node. After that I jump in what ever is available or just run to the nearest unlocked node to attack. I wont sit idle though. I just prefer not to run if possible.

Sucks on big maps to run for what seems like minutes only to get picked off by a flyer and have to start the journey over again lol

You wont catch me driving a mino any time soon either. Its not worth the harassing that comes from players with microphones who wanted the mino. My god they wont hush up and play. They criticize, complain, order, instruct. Worse than a coach on crack! A few people do this religiously to other players and it ruins the game cause they arent paying attention to whats happening. Only following the mino.

I wont mute them cause on many occasions in between rants they do give good logistics information and intel is a leg up in the game.
Screw them! Unless it's a close game or pivotal moment just take the thing. It's the only way you'll learn. If you're really not wanting to rock the boat, then just ride in the gunner seat for a few turns and you'll gather ideas quickly.

But as long as you're bombing relevant nodes from a distance and with a bit of stealth you're already doing 90% of your job.

The only hard "rules" of the mino are:

Be targeting active nodes
Never get out of vehicle
If you're the gunner, avoid using lasers (unless being attacked from directly above) as they give away your location
Old 11-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

lol at using timers, like a cell fone.

There is a clock in game. Note the time, check it occasionally. Less tech is better.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #13
GlueEater
Getting there...

I used to set my timer on my G13 gamepad when the enemy mino would go down. Loved to head over and nuke the shit out of it 1 sec after GTKU jumped in. Made for some good times.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Screw them! Unless it's a close game or pivotal moment just take the thing. It's the only way you'll learn. If you're really not wanting to rock the boat, then just ride in the gunner seat for a few turns and you'll gather ideas quickly.

But as long as you're bombing relevant nodes from a distance and with a bit of stealth you're already doing 90% of your job.

The only hard "rules" of the mino are:

Be targeting active nodes
Never get out of vehicle
If you're the gunner, avoid using lasers (unless being attacked from directly above) as they give away your location
I agree that actually driving the mino is the only way to learn, BUT if you know you're not that good in it yet, don't take it on a crowded match where there are a lot of good mino drivers that can really help the team with it. I would rather have some players like Rommel (aka Reinforcements) or Dognuts take it than myself, they're better at it. Many players would rather gun if they see a good mino driver nearby and wait for him to get in and drive. If you're new, take it when the server is light, or at least listen to the experienced players advising you to go to a key node. There seems to be a lot of "fuck you I don't have to listen to you and I'm doing the opposite just because you said it" attitude on this server.

And to add to "rules" for operating the mino:
- don't drive it toward a nest of locked enemy nodes
- driving it toward the edges of a map keeps the enemy from flanking you as easily, but can take longer to get to nodes
- gunners should be looking EVERYWHERE except where the main cannon is pointing. Nothing more frustrating than driving and having to tell gunners where a flyer is because they're looking right in front of the cannon barrel.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #15
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

And to add to "rules" for operating the mino:
- don't drive it toward a nest of locked enemy nodes
- driving it toward the edges of a map keeps the enemy from flanking you as easily, but can take longer to get to nodes
- gunners should be looking EVERYWHERE except where the main cannon is pointing. Nothing more frustrating than driving and having to tell gunners where a flyer is because they're looking right in front of the cannon barrel.
I'm going to add you your list.
- Never take the Minotaur on a fucking bridge
- Don't idle, always keep the Minotaur moving.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #16
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Quote:
Thats a great suggestion. Also I need to learn where on each map is ideal to use the mino. On Dria seems trolling the lake bed between the two farthest nodes is the way to go. I need to learn other maps as well. Riding the gunner seat is a perfect way.

Quote:
I agree that actually driving the mino is the only way to learn, BUT if you know you're not that good in it yet, don't take it on a crowded match where there are a lot of good mino drivers that can really help the team with it. I would rather have some players like Rommel (aka Reinforcements) or Dognuts take it than myself, they're better at it. Many players would rather gun if they see a good mino driver nearby and wait for him to get in and drive. If you're new, take it when the server is light, or at least listen to the experienced players advising you to go to a key node. There seems to be a lot of "fuck you I don't have to listen to you and I'm doing the opposite just because you said it" attitude on this server.
Maybe I can practice off line with the mino. You are right about the doing the opposite just cause someone else told them to do something. Some players are right with what they say and you have to be open minded. Its a team match. You win and lose as a team.

Thank you both for the tips and rules and thank you as well Terminator. Some great information here and its going to help me quite a bit!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
duh
www.gotse.cx

I find that Monday and Tuesday nights are the lightest and most forgiving crowd for noob mino drivers....the only nights I get to drive!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #18
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
...You wont catch me driving a mino any time soon either. Its not worth the harassing that comes from players with microphones who wanted the mino. My god they wont hush up and play. They criticize, complain, order, instruct. Worse than a coach on crack! A few people do this religiously to other players and it ruins the game cause they arent paying attention to whats happening. Only following the mino.

Best way to learn is by spectating. Wanna know where all the secrets are, spectate Termi or Lagzilla.

Wanna know how to drive the Mino, learn the Dognuts position. Spectate Sliman and a few others. I prefer a moving mino as apposed to a standing still mino myself, but that's just me, everyone does it a bit differently.

As much as it hurts to hear criticism, I'm a firm believer in the "Strict Father Rule" as opposed to being coddled. It's a great teaching tool and motivator. And if you F up, you'll hear it right away on this server.

Back in the day, GTKU was a great teacher, motivator, drill sergeant. Listen to Shadow, his strategy is sound.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Listen to Shadow, his strategy is sound.
I totally agreed with you right up until this statement.

He frequently has directed team members do do things that show a profound lack of knowledge on game tactics and map logistics. Couple that with the never ending shitstorm of chatter, telling people to do stuff they are already doing, or telling people to do obvious things he is on a short list of chat banned folks now.

Shadow is there to get points for himself at the expense of the team. He is no grand strategist beyond that.
A
Old 11-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
...Maybe I can practice off line with the mino.
The server is mostly empty in the morning hours before noon on most days. But our bot count is so low, 3, it's not very challenging. You and 3 other bots, 2 which always double up and a 3rd that sits at a node staggering around doing nothing. So it's not fun playing solo here anymore.

DW: Spam Vikings' bot count is set to 8 right or something right now, a bit more challenging when playing solo. And they will kick your a$$ if you don't stay on top of it. A better place to practice alone.

But nothing compares to the adrenaline of playing against live opponents and teammates that will correct ya in a heartbeat. That's why this game is so fun and addicting.

DON'T BE AFRAID

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught