Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #41
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
So it seems we have ended up with 10 minute rounds with fast overtime. This is the last thing I would have chose. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have it back to what it was but the longest matches are now about 15 minutes shorter and that 15 minutes really makes a difference, imo. It's great to keep the longest matches to about an hour but I would much rather have shorter rounds and slower overtime core drain. I don't think has been tried yet. My suggestion would be 7 minute rounds with the core drain at or just under where it used to be. The old core drain could go longer than 5 minutes on some maps so that is more than half regulation. Say it was half regulation then at 7 minutes plus 3.5 that's 52.5 minutes for the longest 5 round matches. I think the old longest Dria matches were about 78 minutes and 75 would be exactly half regulation.

Thoughts?
I'm down to change it back to 8-minute rounds, or even 7-minute rounds and normal overtime drain. Unfortunately, the current player base does not really care about getting a regulation time victory, and would rather sit back in their tanks and snipe, so we might as well start overtime early and reward defending locked nodes.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #42
hardspike
Server Admin

Every time I play nowadays I'm frustrated by the fast core drain.

Today, like days gone by, the majority of rounds played go into overtime. Some of the most exhilarating moments in the game arrive due to come from behind victories or other nail-biting battles as the cores drain. Those days are gone.

Now, any slight, momentary advantage in overtime decides the victor. Sad.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #43
dimshade
Getting there...

Any chance we could get a comparison on what it's set to now, as opposed to what it was before? I think the default is 20, just curious about what the setting is now.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 AM   #44
Yamashita
mostly harmless

I'd be willing to try the 7 minute round + slow overtime, as yeah I'm not really a fan of the fast overtime drains. Epic comebacks in overtime are few and far between these days.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #45
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Every time I play nowadays I'm frustrated by the fast core drain.

Today, like days gone by, the majority of rounds played go into overtime. Some of the most exhilarating moments in the game arrive due to come from behind victories or other nail-biting battles as the cores drain. Those days are gone.

Now, any slight, momentary advantage in overtime decides the victor. Sad.
Devils advocate here...

Team A can play like crap all round.
Team B kicks a$$ all round until OT.
Team A gets their shit together (or, more likely, has players join that improve the teams performance) and Team A wins in OT with an extra node or some minor difference.

I am not saying either point is invalid, just showing there are a few ways to look at this.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #46
JohnSmallBerries
Fancy Man

Quote:
Team A gets their shit together (or, more likely, has players join that improve the teams performance) and Team A wins in OT with an extra node or some minor difference.
And sometimes it's just that Team A just had their mino spawn and Team B's mino just got killed, so A had a huge advantage right at overtime. On mino maps, I've noticed that the map will swing back and forth depending on whose mino is currently alive, so even if Team B is better, Team A might have more nodes briefly while they have a mino. With slower overtime drain there's time for Team B to come back from that.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #47
Binger

Has the overtime core drain been changed? It seems slower to me in the last few days.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #48
Binger

Bumping this. Is the server still set to 10 minute rounds with fast core drain in OT? I would like to see 7 minute rounds with old OT settings. Maximum round lengths would be the same but the OT would be more like OT. There is already some support for that in here. Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #49
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
What about just decreasing the score limit to two points? Most of the popular maps are one point rounds anyway, and it it's unbalanced, the game will be over even faster.

We could try it for a month just to see if it makes things better or worse.
+1
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #50
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I vote to make the winning score limit 2 points, with one point for overtime win, 2 before. If it's over after one round, so be it... new map, new teams. It would definitely cycle the maps faster and reduce marathon match quits. Increase the map rotation count too so more maps get played.
+1
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #51
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Bumping this. Is the server still set to 10 minute rounds with fast core drain in OT? I would like to see 7 minute rounds with old OT settings. Maximum round lengths would be the same but the OT would be more like OT. There is already some support for that in here. Thoughts?
I like this idea too Binger
Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #52
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
I like this idea too Binger
Yeah I miss the old OT. The new one gets the match done with but it's really difficult to turn a game around during that time.

Only frustrating if it's a good match though
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #53
Lagzilla
Getting there...

3 Rounds and a Mulligan.

Andrew
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #54
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
No, the normal overtime has been back for awhile.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #55
Binger

Quote:
So everything is back the way it was and the longest matches on Dria are like 1:18? It seemed to me the last few times I played that the match was still shorter than before.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #56
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
The current overtime setting is not the normal overtime setting that the server has had for years.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #57
dimshade
Getting there...

Yeah, we had the fast OT drain at first but people didn't like it, so I think it was set to a little faster than default. Maybe we can have our slave server admin check the value.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #58
analog
Community Veteran

OvertimeCoreDrainPerSec=40

I think (not sure) the default is 20
Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #59
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
[...]I think (not sure) the default is 20
It is.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #60
Binger

I re-read this thread last night. I probably should have done that before I bumped it. It's crazy how good the arguments are in here and how I can completely agree with two conflicting opinions. It hurts my brain. I'm not really sure what to think other than I'm tired of really, really long matches and the whole reason I started this thread was to see if anyone else was also tired of really, really long matches. I probably should have left well enough alone.

My vote is still for DW scoring but too many people like OT. My second choice would be 7 minute rounds and the original OT settings. Third choice would 2 point matches. Fourth would be CE style scoring. Honestly they would all probably be better than marathon matches. I do understand, though, the arguments against both of those but there are good arguments against any configuration. If you interested in this re-read this whole thread.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught