Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #21
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

I don't care for the faster core drain and ten minute rounds. So many rounds are too evenly matched to get a 2-point victory, so with ten minute rounds and fast core drain, you fight hard for ten minutes, and all that matters is who has more nodes when overtime starts. There's very little hope of coming back in overtime if you start out behind, even if your team held more nodes during the ten minutes. That was kind of frustrating. I much preferred a shorter round with slower core drain in overtime.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #22
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmallBerries View Post
I don't care for the faster core drain and ten minute rounds. So many rounds are too evenly matched to get a 2-point victory, so with ten minute rounds and fast core drain, you fight hard for ten minutes, and all that matters is who has more nodes when overtime starts. There's very little hope of coming back in overtime if you start out behind, even if your team held more nodes during the ten minutes. That was kind of frustrating. I much preferred a shorter round with slower core drain in overtime.
Why is overtime so special? In my opinion, not giving an incentive to get 2 points leads to the "StarReach Effect", where the winning team camps the middle and kills the losing team as they spawn, instead of mercifully ending the round sooner by getting a 2-point victory.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #23
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
x2
x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuythatkillsU
I don’t think there’s volcanoes here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbye
Well, there’s a big ole hole that’s red on the inside...I don’t know what else that could be.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #24
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
All overtime does is prolong the match and the slower core drainage made it much worse. This new faster core drainage will almost eliminate that. I will say this; if there are 2 minutes left and the team is still struggling; then whatever that team is doing is obviously not working and something else needs to be done. There is a time where a team needs to realize, "Ok, two minutes left and what we have been trying is not working, we need to figure something out." Once overtime starts, that's it; there won't be much time. Someone has to make a critical key play in order to win and that person may be you.

And VERY rarely does a team make a comeback in overtime... Not saying it doesn't happen. So a faster core drainage makes it much more rewarding because you're having to make quick & smart decisions, crisp when your foot movement & vehicle handling, accurate with your shots and more importantly; cooperate as a team and work together..... All with less time. It makes it exciting and challenging.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #25
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
A "Ok, two minutes left and what we have been trying is not working, we need to figure something out." Once overtime starts, that's it; there won't be much time. Someone has to make a critical key play in order to win and that person may be you.
While starting with "I don't play anymore but..." is a huge understatement, none the less I'll chime
in here. Term's above statement is very accurate. I can remember on BattleFront (classic choke
hold map) that once OT started, it became crucial to hold the center two nodes (7 & 8 if my memory
serves me ?). Your team could have been on the ropes most of the match, but a concerted team
effort in OT could result in 2 pts.

Now that we've tried it a couple of different ways, I'll initiate a poll shortly.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem;
but a concerted team effort in OT could result in 2 pts.
One of the biggest problems I see is when a team starts losing and people are saying, "it's over, next map", many want to bail. And there's like 6 minutes left to play. What a bunch of losers!

... "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" - Replicant Roy Batty

I saw a team come back from a score of ZERO and win the game.

The real magic on Omni is when a team gets in gear and comes back from far behind. It's amazing.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 10-05-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #27
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

... "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" - Replicant Roy Batty

... "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..."

Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #28
Binger

Right now overtime is so short that if one team has a significant advantage then the round is over when OT starts. There is almost no chance of a comeback. The only time OT matters now is if the map is fairly even when OT starts. Part of me likes it but part of me misses the OT comebacks. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that for a large number of games OT is now irrelevant. One advantage of this is that on maps like D-Junk, where OT comebacks are very rare, the suffering of the beat down is shorter.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
Binger

So are we liking the fast core drain? I'm kind of missing the slower drain but I'm still undecided overall.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #30
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
So are we liking the fast core drain? I'm kind of missing the slower drain but I'm still undecided overall.
Still torn as well. We play 3 rounds, so the faster drain is nice. If it is a close match you really can't come back at the current speed though, even only off for a bit.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #31
Terminator
Getting there...

I prefer the faster core drain. I like it as is.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #32
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Me too. Still, kind of a pisser the way the balancer locks in a stacked team round after round and map after map. (unless your on the stacked team!)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #33
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

I don't like the fast overtime drain. I preferred shorter rounds with slower drain.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #34
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
I don't like the fast overtime drain. I preferred shorter rounds with slower drain.
The problem is that some maps like Dria-TMU are designed to be played in overtime, while others are designed to be played in regulation time like Masterbath.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #35
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
Me too. Still, kind of a pisser the way the balancer locks in a stacked team round after round and map after map. (unless your on the stacked team!)
We should really keep track and see what stacked with the balancer and stacked without look like. Not guessing or feelings but real win vs. losses.

Andrew
Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #36
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
This, exactly this.

I'd guesstimate that 80% of rounds go to overtime. And when they do it's not that exciting. By the time you gain some ground and think you're going to eek out a win in overtime, you look at the scoreboard and see it's 62-33, and there's no coming back.

I'd like to see it set back to what it used to be.

What benefit is there to a fast core drain, anyway?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
and the CEONSS 1 twenty minute(?) round.
Just for clarification: CEONSS uses a single 20 minute round with the default (I think 5 minute) overtime setting.

But it also has a mutator in place that detects if the match ended in a quick stomp (that is: in less than 7 minutes). If a stomp is detected, it goes into a second round where teams are automatically reshuffled according to their scores in the previous round. I think it's a good compromise between getting to play enough different maps (repeat delay is set to 25 maps) while also not disappointing people who voted their favorite map due to having it end quickly in a stomp. Sure, you still get a few people who might think "oh no, not this map again" or who feel punished by being good enough to end the match very fast, but you'll only spend at least 7 and at most 32 minutes on a map that way, so I think that's acceptible.

As for overtime, I think there are basically three types of maps:
  • Those that are so even that it almost always turns into overtime. Unless one team has a clear skill advantage, the front lines won't change much over the course of the match. This may also be because there is no real advantage to be gained from holding the strongly contested nodes, so you can't really shift the tide towards the enemy base. This is often the case when the strongest vehicles are all at the main bases but barely anyone at the nodes (for example in Nevermore TMU).
  • Those where it's extremely unlikely to make a comeback because there is no way to reclaim your primary nodes once you lost them, but making the final push is too difficult for the enemy team. This is often the case if your team's primary nodes are linked by multiple enemy nodes. Even if you managed to build up your prime node, you'd have to destroy two enemy nodes at roughly the same time just to make your primary node immune to enemy fire.
  • Those that are actually well balanced. Masterbath is a good example, I think. Each primary node is only linked by one other node, and due to the amount of sneaky teleporters, you can always quickly secure at least one of your nodes and force the enemy to react in a defensive way by backstabbing one of their nodes. At the same time, holding the strongly contested center node gives you control over the Ion Tank, the only superweapon vehicle on the map, to help shift the match in your favour.

Outside that list, there are two other problems that some maps have, but which don't necessarily have a correlation to going overtime but just to general annoyance.
- One is the case where the link setup does in no way correspond to the actual path of your troops. Omaha Beach is an example of that: the links go all over the map, yet nodes that are directly adjacent to each other are not connected. That makes it really hard to secure a specific area since there is no actual front line - everyone can just spawn everywhere. That means that an enemy may spawn right next to your own node and there is nothing you can do to stop them because their node is still locked.
- Maps with big AOE effect weapons that one-shot most stuff. It's really hard to defend against that stuff when pushing and also really hard to make a comeback against it, because nodes die in the blink of an eye. I always considered the Paladin in Onslaught to have the role of protecting my nodes from enemy fire so that they can be built and reinforcements may spawn in. But the whole thing is void if any Paladin variant can still get 1- or 2-shot from many things in the map, or even fails to protected the node because you just need to shoot in the general direction of a node to destroy it with splash damage. The rock-paper-scissors balance of vehicles in classic ONS is often also thrown away by introducing vehicles that are good against everything, both ground and air.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #38
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
The rock-paper-scissors balance of vehicles in classic ONS is often also thrown away by introducing vehicles that are good against everything, both ground and air.
QFT™

Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #39
Enyo
Getting there...

I'm neutral on how it's done... faster core drain, shorter round times or less rounds for a win. Either way, and I think almost everyone agrees, I just don't want to play 1 hour+ marathon matches.

Ultimately, no matter how you do it, someone will bitch about it.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #40
Binger

So it seems we have ended up with 10 minute rounds with fast overtime. This is the last thing I would have chose. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have it back to what it was but the longest matches are now about 15 minutes shorter and that 15 minutes really makes a difference, imo. It's great to keep the longest matches to about an hour but I would much rather have shorter rounds and slower overtime core drain. I don't think has been tried yet. My suggestion would be 7 minute rounds with the core drain at or just under where it used to be. The old core drain could go longer than 5 minutes on some maps so that is more than half regulation. Say it was half regulation then at 7 minutes plus 3.5 that's 52.5 minutes for the longest 5 round matches. I think the old longest Dria matches were about 78 minutes and 75 would be exactly half regulation.

Thoughts?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught