Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 07-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
Binger

Default 3 Rounds Max

After years of playing this game the most likely reason I will quit a game is because the length of the match. I realize the epic 1 hour 15 minute matches have their appeal but I'm pretty much done with them. It's very hard for me not to quit a match after the third round of overtime, except on rare occasions that I can live without. I'm pretty sure others feel the same way but do enough? If so I propose DW style scoring. 1 point for a round win regardless of overtime. 2 points to win the match. This means matches are all either 2 or 3 rounds. I think it's a good middle ground between current Omni settings and the CEONSS 1 twenty minute(?) round. Plus, maps get cycled through faster; the cool-down can be raised. I think people would also be more likely to vote for less popular maps if they knew it would last 45 minutes max, instead of 75 minutes. Big difference there.

I realize this is not a built in option in the game but some of the DW files I looked at stated that it was okay to copy or edit them. I tried to figure out how they did their round scoring but couldn't find it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
hardspike
Server Admin

I like your idea of making it so that we're not all stuck on one map for over an hour.

I wonder if there is some way to accomplish that while still keeping the incentive to win before overtime. I remember an empty feeling playing on DW when whether you got the win in regulation or overtime didn't matter.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:04 AM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

What about just decreasing the score limit to two points? Most of the popular maps are one point rounds anyway, and it it's unbalanced, the game will be over even faster.

We could try it for a month just to see if it makes things better or worse.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

I willing to try that. On the plus side... we get to play more maps
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

I like it. Shorter rounds. Would cut down on the number of quitters I'd hope, which is another death nail in our game's coffin. With the long rounds u never have the same team for long and never from beginning to end.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

So shorter rounds ? Points for match to two ? Both ?

Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
D_B_X
For Victory - 1 & 2 Dria!

I'd rather not see this change but I guess it's the end of an era. I liked the long matches on maps like Nevermore, Randomizer and DTMU. But if it means the maps I don't play get shortened rounds too I suppose it's only fair.

I know this topic has come up for years and years without real support. I'm in favor of keeping it the way it is but as time goes on I'm more of the silent minority it seems. If it has to be shortened I'd rather see it DW style but of course I'd rather not see it at all.

Last edited by D_B_X; 07-11-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Enyo
Getting there...

I vote to make the winning score limit 2 points, with one point for overtime win, 2 before. If it's over after one round, so be it... new map, new teams. It would definitely cycle the maps faster and reduce marathon match quits. Increase the map rotation count too so more maps get played.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
duh
www.gotse.cx

I vote for keeping the scoring the same. It may lead to really long matches, but that's part of the appeal for me. If I don't feel like playing a long match, I look at the scores in the server browser before I join. If they're low and its a map like Dria (5 rounds, Lag!) , I don't join. I definitely don't want to see the CEONSS system used here...it seems like a game is over before I even get my bearings. A good compromise is the DW system. If we have to change, I would vote for that.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
dimshade
Getting there...

We could start small. Maybe shorten the time limit to 8 to start off.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
JohnSmallBerries
Fancy Man

I like that idea--8 minute rounds, but still play until 3 points.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Time limit reduced to 8min. Give it a week or so, then bitch away.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Time limit reduced to 8min. Give it a week or so, then bitch away.
We have to wait a whole week?

Thanks Carpe.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
After years of playing this game the most likely reason I will quit a game is because the length of the match. I realize the epic 1 hour 15 minute matches have their appeal but I'm pretty much done with them. It's very hard for me not to quit a match after the third round of overtime, except on rare occasions that I can live without. I'm pretty sure others feel the same way but do enough? If so I propose DW style scoring. 1 point for a round win regardless of overtime. 2 points to win the match. This means matches are all either 2 or 3 rounds. I think it's a good middle ground between current Omni settings and the CEONSS 1 twenty minute(?) round. Plus, maps get cycled through faster; the cool-down can be raised. I think people would also be more likely to vote for less popular maps if they knew it would last 45 minutes max, instead of 75 minutes. Big difference there.

I realize this is not a built in option in the game but some of the DW files I looked at stated that it was okay to copy or edit them. I tried to figure out how they did their round scoring but couldn't find it.

Thoughts?
I'm down with that. A Ceonss 20 minute match isn't a bad idea.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #15
Turbo K
Community Veteran

What if the round time limit was increased back to 10 minutes, but the overtime core drain was twice as much? I've seen many games where a team would have gotten 2 points in a ten-minute round, but were unable to do so in the current 8-minute rounds. That makes the match last an entire extra round, which is longer than shaving two minutes off each individual round.

Another benefit of faster overtime core drains is that every second your team holds the majority of nodes is very important, making the fights more intense around each individual node. Not so dissimilar to Assault.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Terminator
Getting there...

That's what I like about DW's OT core drainage. It's quick and nodes are needed on the dime in any team wants to win.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

I'm down with shortening the overall game play. Jeeze, old guys gotta pee a lot!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #18
Binger

Somehow my suggestion to change the scoring got turned into removing two minutes off of the round time. That brings the longest matches down from about 1:15 to about 1:00, which is better but I find that I still often want to quit when the fourth round starts and by the fifth round I'm usually staying in just so I don't abandon my teammates. That's just me, though. I'm not the kind of person that can sit in my chair for hours at a time.

Faster core drain would be great.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I find that I still often want to quit when the fourth round starts and by the fifth round I'm usually staying in just so I don't abandon my teammates.
x2
Old 09-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
What if the round time limit was increased back to 10 minutes, but the overtime core drain was twice as much? I've seen many games where a team would have gotten 2 points in a ten-minute round, but were unable to do so in the current 8-minute rounds. That makes the match last an entire extra round, which is longer than shaving two minutes off each individual round.

Another benefit of faster overtime core drains is that every second your team holds the majority of nodes is very important, making the fights more intense around each individual node. Not so dissimilar to Assault.

I did this (Sept 22). Lets' try it out, report/bitch in this thread please.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught