Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Question Req: Increase Spawn Protection Time

I wanted to make a request to increase the spawn protection time by a second. Sounds odd I know but lately spawn killing has gotten crazy. More so than the norm. Im seeing more average to average/great players doing it more and more. Adding just one more second to the protection time would at least give people the chance to hit the weapon locker or get out of the line of fire.

Im not asking for anything ridiculous. But one second can really make a difference.

We have too many people with mic's telling their team "The node is almost up. Another second" and people (1 or 2) will camp a locked node and spawn kill like crazy. Reality? That node being boasted as almost up is far from it and many times gets destroyed. It may come up after a battle and building resumes.

Its always the same people with a mic giving the orders and usually the same 4 or 5 people attacking the locked node. It wont do any good to complain about those people, so it seems a better solution is to add a second to the protection time.

Warping to another location many times does not work. I die. Bring up the map and click another locked node and guess where I spawn at?

Please.. Add another second. Solve a few problems with one action. No banning, no bitching, no fixing broken maps, no problem!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Enyo
Getting there...

IIRC, the spawn protection time was increased a while back. There use to be almost no spawn protection.

I personally don't have an issue with the current spawn protection time allowed, it's enough time to hit a weapon locker. You have to understand that as soon as you fire a weapon, spawn protection ends. So, spawn in but don't fire and you should be able to hit a weapon locker and hop in a vehicle if available, or duck behind some cover.

And if someone is spawn killing with a mino or hurricane at a locked node... warp into a different node. Spawn killing a node that's connected to an unlocked node is OK... part of the game. Egregious spawn killing is when someone is doing it to the core but their team is still more than one node away from hitting core.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Also the assault rifle's alt fire is pretty powerful at knocking away enemies, especially mantas. That's my go-to when someone is spawnkilling other than go to a different node.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Also, use the person spawn killing to get you out of the area under attack. You can't be killed briefly so you can hood ornament or fly from the fire and survive. Set your node spawn pref somewhere else helps too, though does not always behave right.

A
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Also, use the person spawn killing to get you out of the area under attack. You can't be killed briefly so you can hood ornament or fly from the fire and survive.
A
Ahhh, that's why when I mino blast a node where bots/people are spawning they get blown and scattered all over the map. Never knew about 'spawn protection time' before this thread, what is it set at?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Never knew about 'spawn protection time' before this thread, what is it set at?
Two seconds. Can bump it up if you kids want it. In Freon we have it set for 4 seconds.

Incidentally, it comes off the instant you fire a weapon, so if you're spawning in an area being "spammed" don't
fire to maximize your protection time.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
TotalBurn
Just Registered

3 seconds would be great. When someone is throwing goo all over the place at a node, 2 seconds many times isnt quite enough. There are a few maps where I can click another node but I will spawn at the one being attacked/spammed. I know its too much work to fix those maps, so an extra second would really help.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Two seconds. Can bump it up if you kids want it. In Freon we have it set for 4 seconds.

Incidentally, it comes off the instant you fire a weapon, so if you're spawning in an area being "spammed" don't
fire to maximize your protection time.
I like it where it is. Freon is not a good comparison due to map size and no vehicles. In 4 seconds I can get a great distance away. 2 is fine if you don't trigger.

A
Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I like it where it is. Freon is not a good comparison due to map size and no vehicles. In 4 seconds I can get a great distance away. 2 is fine if you don't trigger.

A

+1
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Binger

There's nothing worse than pounding a locked node with a Mino only to have a bunch of players flying from the explosion with no damage and then pestering you with their little assault rifles.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #11
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
There's nothing worse than pounding a locked node with a Mino only to have a bunch of players flying from the explosion with no damage and then pestering you with their little assault rifles.
That was pretty good

On a serious note. I dont understand the opposition to adding a second. Its not as if you are frozen or cant do anything. The only logic to be against it, is people want to be kill'n at a locked node. I dunno, maybe Im missing something? If people want to camp a locked node then
Old 01-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

I'd say add 1 sec. There's been a large increase in spamming locked nodes...this would at least offset that a bit. Right now, its hit or miss (literally) for me that 2 seconds is enough.

I personally like the flying through the air part....
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Turbo K
Community Veteran

We already had this discussion a couple years back and increased the spawn time to its current value, which worked out well. The maps really haven't changed since then, so I don't see any reason to increase spawn protection, which would have a negative effect on maps such as Masterbath, Tyrant, Goliath, Miami, and HomeSweetHome.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
I'd say add 1 sec. There's been a large increase in spamming locked nodes...
That is encouraged by these vehicles that have been implemented in the game. The Minotaur is a spammy vehicle, although it was designed that way. Shadow takes pride in spamming locked nodes; that is how he gets his fun. With that said, let's blame the player, not the vehicle. It's time to start cracking down on players that spam locked nodes.

There is misconception on spamming locked nodes and spawn killing. For this example, node 1 connects to node 2, node 2 connects to node 3, and node 3 connects to node 4 and node 4 connects to node 5 and so on. If node 2 is locked red, node 3 is open, node 4 is locked blue. It's okay for red to spam node 4 (which is locked blue) and its okay for blue to spam node 2 (which is locked red). Why is that okay? Because its only one node away from the open node which is 3. Its perfectly okay to spam one locked node away from the node your team is trying to build. Now, if each spams more than one locked node away from the open node, then that is breaking server rules which happens all the time. Just watch Shadow.

It's also okay to spawn kill the Minotaur at the core, there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to take a bio tank and hide outside the core and wait for the Minotaur to leave and goo it, go for it. If you want to plant nades on it and wait for a shitty player like Toosweet to get in it and then blow his ass up, go for it. Sure people will yell at you, but guess what, its allowed. Now, if you (universal you) start spawn killing PPC tanks, Hurricanes, Gators, Badgers, Tiamat, ETc; that is against server rules. You (universal you) can only spawn kill the Minotaur at the core.

Oh and killing the redeemer tank at the enemy core is not spawn killing; despite killing others in the process. Don't think you're safe at the core and are protected by the no spawn killing rule when at the core in the redeemer tank. Sorry Paracelsus; that is not how it works. If the enemy has a redeemer tank at the core and I have a redeemer; guess what; I'm shooting that deemer into the enemy core to kill the redeemer tank and so what if it kills other players; that is not spawn killing.

Now, on MTMU and bombing the top of the core with a Dragon; that is spawn killing.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

Now, on MTMU and bombing the top of the core with a Dragon; that is spawn killing.
There is a difference between taking out the enemy dragon and just sitting there spawn killing. One is to maintain air superiority, the other is just being a dick.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
There is a difference between taking out the enemy dragon and just sitting there spawn killing.
Yes. Like in Minus, when you try to hit 1/2 with the Dragon and it locks from losing 8/9 as you turn you can throw a bomb or two towards/on the base (otherwise they shock rifle you to death). The ones that bother me are the Pam-style where they hide the dragon behind a the buildings behind the base and repeatedly bomb.....
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
There is a difference between taking out the enemy dragon and just sitting there spawn killing. One is to maintain air superiority, the other is just being a dick.
There's a lot more "BEING A DICK" lately. Even players with great reputations that cry about core spamming, I see spamming the core, WTF, you barbarian. I'm not gonna name names, but everyone knows this is wrong. I even do it occasionally, I can't help myself, haha! But I know it's wrong and try not to indulge in it.

Where is Binger lately, he always sets a great example and discourages this behavior and calls it out when he sees it. If you see it, call it out, NAME EM AND SHAME EM.

I'm not talking about when the losing team has no nodes and the core is all that is left.

What is best in life? To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women. - Conan the Barbarian
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
What is best in life? To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women. - Conan the Barbarian
I thought Dimshade said that! ;-)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #19
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Question

As people mentioned before... don't fire right away. If it is still set to what we changed/increased it to in 2011, you should have 4 seconds (as long as you don't fire.)... which IMO is plenty of time.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBurn View Post
3 seconds would be great. When someone is throwing goo all over the place at a node, 2 seconds many times isnt quite enough. There are a few maps where I can click another node but I will spawn at the one being attacked/spammed. I know its too much work to fix those maps, so an extra second would really help.
I love giving free goo rides, especially in low gravity maps!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught