Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #61
hardspike
Server Admin

Seems that the hour long marathon matches mostly happen on certain maps (I'm looking at you Dria). Can the scoring be changed for just certain maps?
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #62
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I re-read this thread last night. I probably should have done that before I bumped it. It's crazy how good the arguments are in here and how I can completely agree with two conflicting opinions. It hurts my brain. I'm not really sure what to think other than I'm tired of really, really long matches and the whole reason I started this thread was to see if anyone else was also tired of really, really long matches. I probably should have left well enough alone.

My vote is still for DW scoring but too many people like OT. My second choice would be 7 minute rounds and the original OT settings. Third choice would 2 point matches. Fourth would be CE style scoring. Honestly they would all probably be better than marathon matches. I do understand, though, the arguments against both of those but there are good arguments against any configuration. If you interested in this re-read this whole thread.
That being said, marathon matches are rarely the fault of the score/OT/rounds/timer. More often than not, it's a freaking well balanced match ( ) that extends the length of the match. Case in point; we played MTMU the other day (usually a marathon map) and finished the entire thing in 17 minutes, 4 to zip. Poor team balance the reason. Imho, I doubt altering the server specs will enhance game play. It will probably, on the other hand, spark a new round of whining and complaining about messing up the Onslaught experience. "You just can't please everyone!" Pickle Rick.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #63
Terminator
Getting there...

I also like the DW scoring, 1 point regardless of winning in regulation or OT and the fast OT core drain.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #64
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I also like the DW scoring, 1 point regardless of winning in regulation or OT and the fast OT core drain.
I actually prefer a slow OT core drain. I just like the much shorter matches on DW and don't care enough about getting 2 points before OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I'm down to change it back to 8-minute rounds, or even 7-minute rounds and normal overtime drain. Unfortunately, the current player base does not really care about getting a regulation time victory, and would rather sit back in their tanks and snipe, so we might as well start overtime early and reward defending locked nodes.
I think this is a great argument for shorter rounds and longer OT. I almost never see people push for 2 points despite the fact that some of us will try to get it to happen. When it happens it seems like it is because either the teams are unbalanced or one team screws up and doesn't pull back when they should.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #65
Enyo
Getting there...

I agree Binger... seems like it's about impossible to coordinate players into going for 2 points anymore. And like you said, when it happens it's usually a lop-sided blowout. I agree with going down to 1 point regardless of OT and first to 2 wins.

Maybe having max 3 rounds would also reduce the number of mid-match quitters and lessen the effect of mid-round newcomers. Nothing worse than getting to 2 points after a couple of hard fought battles to then have a bunch of crap players join your team while the other team gets several good players... then sitting thru 3 torturous losing OT rounds. Rounds 4-5 are when you usually start seeing the mass exodus.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #66
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
I re-read this thread last night. I probably should have done that before I bumped it. It's crazy how good the arguments are in here and how I can completely agree with two conflicting opinions. It hurts my brain. I'm not really sure what to think other than I'm tired of really, really long matches and the whole reason I started this thread was to see if anyone else was also tired of really, really long matches. I probably should have left well enough alone.

My vote is still for DW scoring but too many people like OT. My second choice would be 7 minute rounds and the original OT settings. Third choice would 2 point matches. Fourth would be CE style scoring. Honestly they would all probably be better than marathon matches. I do understand, though, the arguments against both of those but there are good arguments against any configuration. If you interested in this re-read this whole thread.
I don't think my voice should matter much anymore with my "pop-ins and outs" of the game lately. But maybe there should be a poll, with the grainular differentiated OT-times, and let the poll sit for everyone to vote.

When I'm able to enjoy a marathon, it feels good when we win, and I understand more when I loose.

I understand there's been differences in the OT settings, but I'm trying to understand the 'tick' of 40 v. 20. Wasn't per 'tick' supposed to be a whole second? Are these cardinal numbers of 40/20 seconds per 'tick'?

I thought the base game is at 15 minutes?

pardon my misunderstandings....
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #67
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I don't think my voice should matter much anymore with my "pop-ins and outs" of the game lately. But maybe there should be a poll, with the grainular differentiated OT-times, and let the poll sit for everyone to vote.

When I'm able to enjoy a marathon, it feels good when we win, and I understand more when I loose.

I understand there's been differences in the OT settings, but I'm trying to understand the 'tick' of 40 v. 20. Wasn't per 'tick' supposed to be a whole second? Are these cardinal numbers of 40/20 seconds per 'tick'?

I thought the base game is at 15 minutes?

pardon my misunderstandings....
I thought about a poll but because so few people vote I think the polls don't really represent the player base. Even all the people that come to the forums on a regular basis don't vote in the polls, which is sad. 23 people have signed in here in the last 24 hours. That seems about average but when was the last time when even got 20 people to vote in a poll?

I'm not sure about the core drain numbers and how it works exactly. The number that is set is probably for no nodes, like if the cores where linked directly. Someone explained it once but I forget. I just go by the old settings which was 10 minute regulation rounds with the max round length, including overtime, being a little over 15 minutes. That's more than half the regulation round length added on in OT.

Idk, man. This did not turn out at all like I wanted or expected when I started this thread so I should probably just stop trying. I've become frustrated over a lot of things about the server lately so whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Seems that the hour long marathon matches mostly happen on certain maps (I'm looking at you Dria). Can the scoring be changed for just certain maps?
There was a map on DW that would go for only one round. I looked for something in the map but couldn't find anything so I'm guessing it was something on the server that could be set for any map. Probably not a realistic option here but that would be cool.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #68
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Just wanted to say hats off to you last night Binger for giving the "Newb in the Mino" the lecture. Even Shadow was trying to coach him, but to no avail. I wanted to get into it also but he went all hatred on every body so I just stayed out of it and listened and laughed. It's somewhat hilarious and entertaining.

So fucking frustrating when a newb gets in the mino and doesn't shoot the node when it's right in front of him. We should have won that match, but it only takes one asshat to fuck that up.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #69
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Just wanted to say hats off to you last night Binger for giving the "Newb in the Mino" the lecture. Even Shadow was trying to coach him, but to no avail. I wanted to get into it also but he went all hatred on every body so I just stayed out of it and listened and laughed. It's somewhat hilarious and entertaining.

So fucking frustrating when a newb gets in the mino and doesn't shoot the node when it's right in front of him. We should have won that match, but it only takes one asshat to fuck that up.
Lol, thanks man. I may have been a little harsh but I think he deserved it for rushing to get the Mino at the start two rounds in a row. I'm all for noobs learning to use the Mino but if you try to beat other players to it at the beginning of the round you should know wtf you're doing. That was the key thing for me. He rushed to beat other players to the Mino at the beginning of two rounds. I think I was pretty reserved (for me) in my criticism when he took it out the first time at the beginning of the round and went way wide to the outside of our Ion node and then camped over there by that crane node but then when he did the same thing at the beginning of the next round that was too much for me. There was no teamwork in his actions and his strategy was flawed. Plus he didn't communicate at all. The whole situation kind of fit his name. Only thing missing was him yelling "Leroy Jenkins".

I don't really think he was an ass when he finally got on the mic. Especially considering how hard I was ripping into him. Kudos to him as well for trying to defend himself, even if he was wrong. I'm sure that wasn't easy. People think I'm more angry than I really am. I grew up with 3 siblings and I don't hold anything back but that doesn't mean I'm raging. I gained some respect for him when he tried to defend himself. Army, on the hand, decided to chime in with immature smart ass comments and put me down when he had no business doing so. I don't forget shit like that. I'll work with Leroy in the future but Army can kiss my ass.

Btw, Leroy's been around for a minute and seems reasonably intelligent. He knows what's up and hopefully now he'll learn how to hit the node from there and to take down nodes with the Mino before DMing with it.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #70
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
The whole situation kind of fit his name. Only thing missing was him yelling "Leroy Jenkins".
OMFG, just learned what the term "Leeroy Jenkins" means.

https://youtu.be/hooKVstzbz0?t=1m16s

The video features a group of players discussing a detailed battle plan for their next encounter while Leeroy is away from his computer, preparing food to eat. This plan is devised to help Leeroy, but is ruined when Leeroy returns and, ignorant of the strategy, immediately charges headlong into battle shouting his own name in a stylized battle cry. His companions rush to help, but Leeroy's actions ruin the detailed plan and all the group are killed.

https://youtu.be/lr-TXr9dwqs

Last edited by McLovin; 10-16-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #71
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

That's epic, both the original and the reinterpretation. I love them! Now, I've seen LeeRoy Jenkins in the game, must've happened after this post! LOL
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 10-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #72
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
I thought about a poll but because so few people vote I think the polls don't really represent the player base. Even all the people that come to the forums on a regular basis don't vote in the polls, which is sad. 23 people have signed in here in the last 24 hours. That seems about average but when was the last time when even got 20 people to vote in a poll?

I'm not sure about the core drain numbers and how it works exactly. The number that is set is probably for no nodes, like if the cores where linked directly. Someone explained it once but I forget. I just go by the old settings which was 10 minute regulation rounds with the max round length, including overtime, being a little over 15 minutes. That's more than half the regulation round length added on in OT.

Idk, man. This did not turn out at all like I wanted or expected when I started this thread so I should probably just stop trying. I've become frustrated over a lot of things about the server lately so whatever.

There was a map on DW that would go for only one round. I looked for something in the map but couldn't find anything so I'm guessing it was something on the server that could be set for any map. Probably not a realistic option here but that would be cool.
I hear and feel ya there Binger. Sorry man, I didn't mean to add to your frustration.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #73
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Army, on the hand, decided to chime in with immature smart ass comments and put me down when he had no business doing so. I don't forget shit like that. I'll work with Leroy in the future but Army can kiss my ass.
I'm certain Army is an alias. I have a clue as to who it might be...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #74
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I hear and feel ya there Binger. Sorry man, I didn't mean to add to your frustration.
Nah man you didn't at all. You're totally cool. No worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I'm certain Army is an alias. I have a clue as to who it might be...
Alias for sure. No one new is consistently at the top of the scoreboard. I don't care who it is. Their comments towards me seemed actually mean and not just razzing. I'm also not a fan of people aliasing. Every once in a while is fine if you're in a different mood or just want to play and not have to talk. I will admit I have used many names (it would be nice if the Admins didn't reveal who you are when aliasing, Flounder ) but when done by a top tier player in a certain way it's kind of annoying.

Last edited by Binger; 10-19-2017 at 07:12 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #75
-Goose-
Getting there...

Just wanted to say I had an interesting idea for this a while back....

1) Set score limit to 3
2) Set round time limit to 1 min
3) Reduce OT damage considerably

This way every round is worth 1 point, and node control is actually meaningful to the outcome of the game again (one of the banes of the current meta is node control is practically meaningless especially in typical stalemate maps like Dria).

Only a handful of maps would need to be fixed for this (those with the low health cores).

Just a thought...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #76
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Just wanted to say I had an interesting idea for this a while back....

1) Set score limit to 3
2) Set round time limit to 1 min
3) Reduce OT damage considerably

This way every round is worth 1 point, and node control is actually meaningful to the outcome of the game again (one of the banes of the current meta is node control is practically meaningless especially in typical stalemate maps like Dria).

Only a handful of maps would need to be fixed for this (those with the low health cores).

Just a thought...
This is brilliant. When I get a chance I'll try this offline on Dria-TMU to experiment with round lengths if nobody else does it first. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #77
Binger

A potential problem I see with your idea Goose is that a team might get so far behind fairly early that there is no way to catch up, which could be very frustrating. I haven't tested it out yet so hopefully I'm wrong about it. I have more thoughts on that but I gotta go do something. I just wanted to get that out there now.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught