Other Games All Other Servers

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games

Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
Q
Bawls?

UT2k4 Freon server rules

Server is way too busy and normally full during the night, so there is going to be specific rules for it.

• If idlers don't get kicked by the server itself, they will get banned by an admin with one week minimum punishment. Server is pretty much full all night and it's not fair to take a spot and idle.
  • Messing around on the server: jumping in the lava, excessive suicide, shield gunning team mates voluntarily, and/or anything of that kind will result in permanent ban. If there is anyone else who likes to take a shot at UT while you're gone, lock him/her out when you're leaving the room. We ban your CD key, not a particular person.
  • Spectators slot is for spectators... clear as mud. If you're going to take a piss then you can use it, but if you're going to have a half hour dinner leave the server and don't take a spot, or you will get banned for the rest of the night.
  • Shooting rockets/flak aimlessly with or without a person in sight, or to inflict splash damage only, or to block a doorway is considered spam and will result in one week ban. Teleporter camping with the shield or goo gun is also an offense. Let's not disrupt the game flow by sitting by a teleporter... Trust me, your team will benefit way more if you go and thaw them. If you think you can only play with rockets and flak, try other weapons and we will help you get better at them. Spamming is no excuse.

I almost play there every night, and I'm watching you. If you don't agree with what I had to say please play elsewhere.
Thanks for your attention.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
brinkker
Just Registered

Apparently spam is fine, just don't ever kill Q with rockets
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkker View Post
Apparently spam is fine, just don't ever kill Q with rockets
That's the one I see, and reply to.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Pareechee
"Love Deviant"

While entering the game, I was only able to glance at the new banner text message.... No swearing either?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareechee View Post
While entering the game, I was only able to glance at the new banner text message.... No swearing either?
Whatever we have allowed on other servers.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Deranged
Just Registered

Quote:
server is full most nights
Things sure have changed *nostalgia*
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
ThePerfectCore
Takin' a Ride off a cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
Things sure have changed *nostalgia*
And with "rules" like these it's no surprise. Kicking/banning for idling or being a douche is one thing, but banning for "spamming doorways" is a great way to kill a server.

It's just a game, folks. Have fun.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectCore View Post
And with "rules" like these it's no surprise. Kicking/banning for idling or being a douche is one thing, but banning for "spamming doorways" is a great way to kill a server.

It's just a game, folks. Have fun.
and being smart without realizing that such server no longer exists is a great way of making a fool of yourself.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
ThePerfectCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QettoE View Post
and being smart without realizing that such server no longer exists is a great way of making a fool of yourself.
I was not being "smart", I understand the server no longer exists, which is part of the point I was making. The rules may not have been the only reason for it disappearing, however I can imagine that a server that bans for spamming rockets would be less popular than a server where only standard "no cheating/douching" rules apply. My comment was not aimed at Freon specifically, because god knows there are way crappier servers out there... just using it as an example.

And, it doesn't make any sense to ban over spamming rockets. I love getting hit by something random when I'm playing, it's just funny.

As for making a fool of myself, not sure about that. I'm just making an observation and expressing an opinion based solely on what I've experienced in my years of online playing, which is, special rules = empty server, especially those that limit and punish players who exercise fundamental gameplay mechanics... like spam.

MMM MMM I LOVE ME SOME SPAM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Binger

Will someone please un-newb me on Freon and tell me exactly what it is or post a link I can follow to explain it?

ty

P.S. Also TAM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
analog
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Will someone please un-newb me on Freon and tell me exactly what it is or post a link I can follow to explain it?

ty

P.S. Also TAM.
They are just all flavors of DM, forget them and go play AS or ONS
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:

ty

P.S. Also TAM.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=569980

Old 05-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectCore View Post
I was not being "smart", I understand the server no longer exists, which is part of the point I was making. The rules may not have been the only reason for it disappearing, however I can imagine that a server that bans for spamming rockets would be less popular than a server where only standard "no cheating/douching" rules apply. My comment was not aimed at Freon specifically, because god knows there are way crappier servers out there... just using it as an example.

And, it doesn't make any sense to ban over spamming rockets. I love getting hit by something random when I'm playing, it's just funny.

As for making a fool of myself, not sure about that. I'm just making an observation and expressing an opinion based solely on what I've experienced in my years of online playing, which is, special rules = empty server, especially those that limit and punish players who exercise fundamental gameplay mechanics... like spam.

MMM MMM I LOVE ME SOME SPAM.
FREON isn't like ONS. It's a game of skill with weapons as opposed to a game of strategy with nodes. spamming in freon is like camping the Mino in ONS... well, not really, but on the annoy-o-meter it's pretty similar. People play freon to try to do well with the whole run-and-gun thing, not just get fragged by random flak.

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
ThePerfectCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
FREON isn't like ONS. It's a game of skill with weapons as opposed to a game of strategy with nodes. spamming in freon is like camping the Mino in ONS... well, not really, but on the annoy-o-meter it's pretty similar. People play freon to try to do well with the whole run-and-gun thing, not just get fragged by random flak.
That makes sense. I'll accept that

I'm not trying to push any buttons here... though I can see how some might get their panties twisted. My bad.

GROUP HUG GUYS
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Binger

Much appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Javik
Server Sponsor

Core, you're a young whippersnapper on this server. You don't know the history. *shakes cane*

Freon and Monster Hunt were shut down to make way for the 64-player UT3 server, to free up bandwidth and processing power for the new hotness Epic was about to unleash upon us.. er, about in November 2007.

That Epic Failure crushed our hopes and dreams and we have not yet recovered from their treachery.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
Riddick69
Lord Marshal

Quote:

ty

P.S. Also TAM.
Freon is gametype where you have two teams. Instead of killing the other team, you freeze them. They can be thawed by their teammates. If you freeze the entire team, your team recieves a point. The first team to 10 wins! It's really fun. You should give it a try. DM skillz will help your ONS skillz, on those occasions where you have to dump your burning vehicle and take on an enemy vehicle/player on foot.

My UT3 Maps for PC/PS3
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javik View Post
Core, you're a young whippersnapper on this server. You don't know the history. *shakes cane*

Freon and Monster Hunt were shut down to make way for the 64-player UT3 server, to free up bandwidth and processing power for the new hotness Epic was about to unleash upon us.. er, about in November 2007.

That Epic Failure crushed our hopes and dreams and we have not yet recovered from their treachery.
Freon will probably come back soon... no ETA yet.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javik View Post

Came here to say this. Freon also had a low douche-to-friends ratio, which was in part thanks to more restrictive rules.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
The link from the utforums site requires a password and the link in the thread, http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...ighlight=freon, leads to a file with a .7z extension. I don't know what to do with that file since there are no other files in the UT folder with that extension.

Can someone help me get the TAM/Freon mod?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games