Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
View Poll Results: Should the number of bots on the server be reduced, and to how many if so ?
Hell No. I love me some bots 3 18.75%
Hell Yes, reduce 'em to 1 8 50.00%
Hell Yes, reduce 'em to 2 3 18.75%
Hell Yes, reduce 'em to 3 1 6.25%
Hell Yes, reduce 'em to 4 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default Poll - neuter the Bots

There has been discussion (albeit a small one) here about cutting down the number
of bots on the server.

To that end, vote your preference please.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

So it can't be reduced to zero bots? I assume the one bot is always left over to balance the team if needed?

No matter what number wins, please crank them up to "Godlike" ability. Or heck, even if there's a way to mutate them (berserker, double damage, or speed etc...) that'd be cool too, just so they can stand a chance or possibly even be an asset to the team.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
So it can't be reduced to zero bots? I assume the one bot is always left over to balance the team if needed?

No matter what number wins, please crank them up to "Godlike" ability. Or heck, even if there's a way to mutate them (berserker, double damage, or speed etc...) that'd be cool too, just so they can stand a chance or possibly even be an asset to the team.
One bot means that if there is only one person on the server, then there is a bot on the other team.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
BoFox
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post

Nah, "Godlike" might turn away all the noobs. Maybe 1-2 notches down from "godlike" would be good enough, and still pretty challenging, lol. Sometimes, Godlike would make it look like as if the bots have aimbot ability all the time. In addition to this, bots generally have the ability to see you through walls. They know when you're around the corner, always. Furthermore, their AVRILS when locked on, continue to lock on around obstacles that were supposed to block their line-of-view, even about 1-2 seconds after supposedly disappearing from their line-of-sight.

I just wish that the bot algorithm could be refined a bit. UT3 doesn't seem to have much better bots than UT2004. They get boring real, real quick.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Binger

Like I said in the other thread, I'm for having just one bot, but there are some things to consider. There is at least one drawback to having only one bot. Any time the number of players is uneven and is greater than the bot count one team will have an extra player. The fewer the players in the game the greater the impact of having an extra player. The extra player in a 9 vs 10 match is not as impactful as in a 1 vs 2 match. Now, the solution to uneven players in low player count matches is, imo, for someone to quit or spectate. If you see a 1 vs 1 then spectate before you join. Wait to see if someone else joins then you join. Going to spec or switching teams is part of late night play already. It requires players to be aware and communicate and to do the right thing. Occasionally though someone won't understand that and they will jump in when they shouldn't and make the match completely one-sided. Having only one bot will make that worse. I'm still for it though.

The problem with the bots is actually not the bots as much as bad pathing in the map. I know from experience that bot pathing can be a bitch and there is no way that all the poorly pathed maps are going to be fixed so we will always have bots jumping in and out of vehicles, running into things in vehicles and just staying there for the entire match trying to push through an immovable object, running away from nodes they are right next to and that they should be touching to get them to build, and in the case of Evil Dead, skimming across the ground in a Raptor.

Having only one bot is not the ideal solution. If they worked really well I would be for having the bot count set really high. But it's either only one bot or live with their stupidity. I'm tired of their stupidity.

If the bot count gets set to one and you are one of those late-nighters, please remember what I said above. Don't ruin a good duel. Communicate, pay attention to skill level, switch teams if necessary. Try to keep it fair.

Carpe, I have a question about this poll. Are your numbers per side? Online bots are set as "minimum players". Having that set to one should mean that if only one real player is on the server then they will have one bot to play against on the other team. If another real player joins they should replace the bot so that it's 1h vs 1h, no more bots. It seems to me like setting min players to 2 would have the same outcome as setting it to 1. Setting min players to an uneven number like 3 or 5 would screw things up. So, your numbers are minimum players per side, right?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post

Carpe, I have a question about this poll. Are your numbers per side? Online bots are set as "minimum players". Having that set to one should mean that if only one real player is on the server then they will have one bot to play against on the other team. If another real player joins they should replace the bot so that it's 1h vs 1h, no more bots. It seems to me like setting min players to 2 would have the same outcome as setting it to 1. Setting min players to an uneven number like 3 or 5 would screw things up. So, your numbers are minimum players per side, right?
Yes.

If it's set to two and a human joins, I believe there will be 3 bots. I will test it out (one of these days when
I remember and have the time).

Old 06-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Per the poll results, bots minplayers reduced to 1. Means if you come on the server alone
there will be one bot. As soon as another person joins, there will be none.

Personally, this seems odd considering the size and nature of ONS. I wouldn't like it myself,
but since I don't play ONS any more...

*shrug*

put input/thoughts in here please. and thanks.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
Enyo
Getting there...

I say let's give it a try and do a new poll in a month or two to see how everyone likes/hates it.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #9
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Sounds good. I'd rather try 1v1 onslaught instead of try to manage a team of confused bots
Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #10
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Your comeback has been penciled in under 4 July 2016.

Bring HoC! Bring Buttery!!! See you there...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuythatkillsU
I donít think thereís volcanoes here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbye
Well, thereís a big ole hole thatís red on the inside...I donít know what else that could be.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Per the poll results, bots minplayers reduced to 1. Means if you come on the server alone
there will be one bot. As soon as another person joins, there will be none.

Personally, this seems odd considering the size and nature of ONS. I wouldn't like it myself,

*shrug*

put input/thoughts in here please. and thanks.
Awesome, thanks for trying this Carpe. I realize it may seem odd but I think it's worth experimenting with. Bots very often do more harm then good and that can be frustrating. I think an alternative would be to set them back to 16. I was for the lowering to 10 when it happened but after playing that way it seems to me that it was worse. With 16 bots you know that there are enough so that at least a few of them will figure out how to get to a node but with 10 they often just muck things up and never really help.

About the size. Some of the best matches I've had have been on large maps with just a few players. I used to think some maps were too big for low player count but it can work just fine. Dria-TMU plays great with small numbers. You have to choose fast vehicles but with so few players you can pretty much have your pick of vehicles.\

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Carpe!!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Carpe!!!!
Thanks Bing.

As for the bot count thing, you boyz are the ones playing so we'll try do whatever the majority
think should be done to improve play.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #13
BoFox
Just Registered

Happy b'day Carpe!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Happy b'day Carpe!!
As someone who just hit one of those landmark birthdays, you have my condolences.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

First A Happy Belated Birthday to you Carpe Diem!

About the Bots, for those of us that do jump on in the middle of the day sometimes and play, this one Bot crap SUCKS, it has totally ruined afternoon fights between myself and others that we used to enjoy immensely. Considering most of the people that have commented usually play later when there is normally a load out of actual players why do y'all care?? Well for myself and other afternoon fraggers thanks for driving us away! Im not trying to be an ass about this but why frack with it at all?? It has no effect on playing when the server has players online but has a HUGE effect on us players that play during non peak hours. I tried playing several times with others 1 on 1 with the one bot setup and finally just left because it was boring, more boring , and just plain stupid. it felt like this guy
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post

It has no effect on playing when the server has players online but has a HUGE effect on us players that play during non peak hours. I tried playing several times with others 1 on 1 with the one bot setup and finally just left because it was boring, more boring , and just plain stupid. it felt like this guy
I agree. I just tried to play a round with only 3 people on the server and it sucked. I got bored and left. There's no fun in it anymore.

The bots were reduced a year or so ago. Before that bot reduction when you were the only one on the server or just a few it made a big difference. I used to have to work very hard to keep the bots from over powering the match. Only half of them do anything anyways, the other half sit in the core and jump in and out of vehicles. So reducing the bots reduced the active bots that actually did something. Before this last zero bot reduction only 2 or 3 of them did anything, but they did something. Doing all the work is boring. I loved commanding the bots to guard a node or change their play strategy.

So I think the zero bot solution has effectively ended any day play, at least for me, when the server is idle.

Quote:
I think an alternative would be to set them back to 16. I was for the lowering to 10 when it happened but after playing that way it seems to me that it was worse. With 16 bots you know that there are enough so that at least a few of them will figure out how to get to a node but with 10 they often just muck things up and never really help.
This makes a lot of sense Binger. I totally agree.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

McLovin I will truly miss our afternoon Megabadger wars, and Sonics morning Minus match is lost forever.. sniff sniff
Old 07-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #18
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

So you boyz want me ramp them back up then ?

Thanks for the bday salutations guys.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
Binger

Oh, stop being so dramatic Smoker. It's an experiment. It's something I initiated after trying to play EvilDead one night. It got some interest, got a poll, and it won. I don't play much early in the day but I do play late at night. It's pretty much the same thing except the crowd gets smaller instead of bigger. I'm very aware of what it's like to play with bots and I will admit that maybe this wasn't the best idea. I played an early evening match the other day and it kind of sucked. I've also played a couple of other matches that were great. The reason the one sucked though is because some players didn't know how to compensate for the lack of bots. People were getting in big slow vehicles and camping while the rest of us were playing how we should have been playing with the low player count, getting to the node. If you want to camp the Megabadger and sit back and let the bots get all the nodes then this isn't going to work but I do understand Smoker's and McLovin's points so...

Carpe, I'm sorry for the trouble but would you consider putting bots back on the server. I don't think the others who voted to remove them would mind so much and it's not worth ruining it for some people just so some of us don't have to play with bots.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post

About the Bots, for those of us that do jump on in the middle of the day sometimes and play, this one Bot crap SUCKS, it has totally ruined afternoon fights between myself and others that we used to enjoy immensely. Considering most of the people that have commented usually play later when there is normally a load out of actual players why do y'all care?? Well for myself and other afternoon fraggers thanks for driving us away! Im not trying to be an ass about this but why frack with it at all?? It has no effect on playing when the server has players online but has a HUGE effect on us players that play during non peak hours. I tried playing several times with others 1 on 1 with the one bot setup and finally just left because it was boring, more boring , and just plain stupid. it felt like this guy
I call bullshit... And I mean, extreme bullshit.

You were on the red team, 1v1 against the bot on the blue team. I joined the server and within 5 minutes, had completely taken back the map for the blue team. Only then, did you did you make a comment, "this is boring." Was it boring when I joined and you had the entire map? Or was it boring because I took back the map? I may come across as a selfish prick, and that is not my intention; but don't make these false statements. ITS SO BORING!!! Well, it wasn't boring when you had the map.

Here is the connection log. http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/mat...match=66320489

Last edited by Terminator; 07-01-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught