Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #41
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 301
Default
Reply With Quote


There's a map, I think called Alpine? or Something that is supposed to resemble something in Italy. Two large mounds or mountains. I might be confusing the name with one already hosted here, I'd have to check in on my map list at home.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #42
Terminator
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 795
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
There's a map, I think called Alpine? or Something that is supposed to resemble something in Italy. Two large mounds or mountains. I might be confusing the name with one already hosted here, I'd have to check in on my map list at home.
Alpine is a mix of human barf and cow feces.
Terminator is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #43
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,389
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Here's a thought: What if the map list on the voting menu was inverted? I've noticed that there doesn't appear to be any sort of order in which the list is sorted, but maps in the top third get voted in much more often than maps in the bottom third of the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
I don't know about everyone else but I'm definitely making use of the sort by name/play count tabs..

Or are you saying just have the default display sort lowest to highest play count?
I'm not sure what the default sort is but it's got to be one of three ways, right? Alphabetically, number of times played, and sequence. I always sort as soon as I start looking at the voting menu, usually by sequence, sometimes alphabetically. Sorting alphabetically though is pretty useless since the map that gets voted in is almost always at or near the top of the freed up ones in the sequence sort. There is not enough time to pick an alternative map to the one or two that first starting gaining momentum and that probably got picked instinctively from the sequence sort. Increasing the voting time would help this. Also, as I have said before, the more maps there are on the server the less likely someone is going to comb through them to find an alternative to the same-old-thing. I realize people have said things like "why limit the number of maps on the server, if it's good, put it on" and I understand that point of view but I have just explained, again, why it's bad for voting and variety. Quality or quantity.

I'm all for adding more maps to the server and there are some good ones listed in this thread but there are also some that may only get played once a blue moon and are going to just add to the problem of lack of variety in the voting. Decrease the map count and increase the voting time. Weed out the un-played maps on the server. They can always be put back on later. It's not worth the damage they do as a de-motivational factor during voting to have them on the server just because they might get played someday. Increase the voting time so people actually have a chance to look at all the maps and remember what they are like and maybe if they vote for it it might actually have time to get enough votes to beat one of the ones that we play over and over, every day.
Binger is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #44
Flounder
Server Admin


 
Flounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,058
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Alpine is a mix of human barf and cow feces.
Just like a Tiamat.
Flounder is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #45
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 301
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Alpine is a mix of human barf and cow feces.
lol, I like the slope
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #46
BoFox
Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 84
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Here's a thought: What if the map list on the voting menu was inverted? I've noticed that there doesn't appear to be any sort of order in which the list is sorted, but maps in the top third get voted in much more often than maps in the bottom third of the list.
Great idea! I'm thinking it could be at least alphabetical order (preferably with the name, or word, so that "Nevermore" is listed in the "N" category and not "OMNI-Nevermore or ")o(Nevermore" or something like that), making it easier for everybody to find?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo
she's so hot I'd let her pee on me.
BoFox is offline  
Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #47
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


FastFurious - Randomizer

One map, randomly selects vehicle/weapon configurations from the three, maybe some wild cards thrown in there too
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #48
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...
 
Anonymous[Lolz]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York State
Posts: 888
Default
Reply With Quote


I remember back in 2010 or so a map that was played every night was Scorched, the one without the new fire tanks and whatnot. I can't remember the version number, but the new one isn't as good.

For new maps, I can finish Magnanimous this summer and I can definitely tweak Spiffingrad if you can find the 32p version.
Anonymous[Lolz] is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #49
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

 
Carpe Diem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,621
Default
Reply With Quote


Regarding map sorting/playing.

At HoC we had 240 maps on the server, but the old standby's always got voted, as Bing eloquently said,
instinctively. To attempt to solve that issue, we divided the maps into 3x separate map packs, and rotate
them once a month. This means each map sees the light of day every 3 months.

Seems to work well for Freon maps, granted they are played in quite a bit less time than an ONS map.
However, maybe some variation of that idea might help out the ONS server ?

I'm unsure how the playing population would react to it, thoughts ?
__________________
Black holes are where God divided by 0. - Steven Wright






Carpe Diem is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #50
dimshade
Getting there...

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 579
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Regarding map sorting/playing.

At HoC we had 240 maps on the server, but the old standby's always got voted, as Bing eloquently said,
instinctively. To attempt to solve that issue, we divided the maps into 3x separate map packs, and rotate
them once a month. This means each map sees the light of day every 3 months.

Seems to work well for Freon maps, granted they are played in quite a bit less time than an ONS map.
However, maybe some variation of that idea might help out the ONS server ?

I'm unsure how the playing population would react to it, thoughts ?
I would be in favor. I suggest keeping the most popular 3-5 maps in every rotation though. This would keep some familiar maps on the server with plenty of map cooldown to get others voted in.

My only concern is that 1) it could affect server population, and 2) some of the maps are decent enough, but have large flaws such as having vehicles it shouldn't or shitty weapon lockers, requiring our gracious editors to work overtime.
__________________
"Conan! What is best in life?" ... "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
dimshade is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #51
Terminator
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 795
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
I would be in favor. I suggest keeping the most popular 3-5 maps in every rotation though. This would keep some familiar maps on the server with plenty of map cooldown to get others voted in.

My only concern is that 1) it could affect server population, and 2) some of the maps are decent enough, but have large flaws such as having vehicles it shouldn't or shitty weapon lockers, requiring our gracious editors to work overtime.
My thought exactly. Dreamus is a good example. The version on OMNI has the shitty weapon lockets; the DW version is perfect. TK and Lagzilla have done a great job with their map edits; yet they don't receive the credit that they deserve, particularly Lagzilla. He worked hard on Nevermore and MagicIsle yet its the same two players that bitch and moan without contributing any suggestions or ideas on what needs fixing or what vehicles/weapons need to be added. Binger is another good editor and so is Anonymous; I think he is still working on Magnanimous which has potential to be a great map.
Terminator is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #52
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


Who are our map makers/editors? We owe those dudes money. Seriously

This game is probably down to fewer than 100 regular players worldwide. I was bummed to see UMG and DW turn to ghost towns, hopefully this server can hang on...
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 06-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #53
BoFox
Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 84
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
My thought exactly. Dreamus is a good example. The version on OMNI has the shitty weapon lockets; the DW version is perfect. TK and Lagzilla have done a great job with their map edits; yet they don't receive the credit that they deserve, particularly Lagzilla. He worked hard on Nevermore and MagicIsle yet its the same two players that bitch and moan without contributing any suggestions or ideas on what needs fixing or what vehicles/weapons need to be added. Binger is another good editor and so is Anonymous; I think he is still working on Magnanimous which has potential to be a great map.
Nicely said, man.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo
she's so hot I'd let her pee on me.
BoFox is offline  
Old 06-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #54
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 225
Default
Reply With Quote


+2 ^^^^
{glr}pooty is offline  
Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 AM   #55
Enyo
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 321
Default
Reply With Quote


Haha BoFox, you DID use my line as your signature. Love it!
Enyo is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #56
BoFox
Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 84
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Haha BoFox, you DID use my line as your signature. Love it!
Haha!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo
she's so hot I'd let her pee on me.
BoFox is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #57
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 301
Default
Reply With Quote


Isn't the map Azure (http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...3478/ONS-Azure) the one with the many glass-like citadels that is Raptor Heavy Dependent? I had this map a long time ago, when I was just playing by myself without an IP carrier. I like it. Do you?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #58
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
Isn't the map Azure (http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...3478/ONS-Azure) the one with the many glass-like citadels that is Raptor Heavy Dependent? I had this map a long time ago, when I was just playing by myself without an IP carrier. I like it. Do you?
That looks cool. I'll download it and check it out.
Turbo K is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #59
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 301
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
That looks cool. I'll download it and check it out.
Yes, after reading the description on the page, it is what I thought it was. Glass Citadels, and a bit tricky on getting used to which way to go to navigate with bots on Godlike.

I'm trying to remember the name of the other floating node structure we play alot, and I think this is a viable sister-map Turbo K. I hope you had fun with it!

Last edited by Sumugan; 07-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: no hyphen in his name
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #60
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 301
Default
Reply With Quote


I miss these maps. http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...ONS-Apocalypse ONS-Apocalypse, http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...606/ONS-Glanum ONS-Glanum, http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...NecropolisFull ONS-NecropolisFull, http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...S-CosimiaFINAL ONS-CosimiaFINAL , Did OMNI have them and I'm being forgetful or something else?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decrease MTMU maps to 1 on main server - Advertise the Fulltime MTMU server instead IPreferQuake3 Onslaught 37 12-29-2009 06:02 PM
Maps just added to the DM Server Stormblade Other Games 5 05-21-2007 07:32 PM
DM Server - Maps to possibly ADD Stormblade Other Games 30 04-07-2006 05:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.